Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

2 hours ago, MattP said:

It's still incredible how pundits, the press and many people who should know better pushed this total lie that women are punished on court more than men.

IMG_20180918_080754.jpg

What's most interesting about this is that the only violation for which women get penalised significantly more for is for coaching (the violation which first got Serena's back up). Since most of the women are coached by men, is it safe to assume that most of the sexism aimed towards women players comes from their own coaches, who obviously think they're too stupid to figure things out for themselves on court?

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MattP said:

It's still incredible how pundits, the press and many people who should know better pushed this total lie that women are punished on court more than men.

IMG_20180918_080754.jpg

UnsportsMANlike conduct?!?

Conclusive evidence right there that tennis is inherently sexiest.

3 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

What's most interesting about this is that the only violation for which women get penalised significantly more for is for coaching (the violation which first got Serena's back up). Since most of the women are coached by men, is it safe to assume that most of the sexism aimed towards women players comes from their own coaches, who obviously think they're too stupid to figure things out for themselves on court?

I didn't notice that. That is actually quite interesting.

5 hours ago, MattP said:

IMG_20180918_080754.jpg

How many men have played at those tournaments in comparison to women?

If it's even then it'd be fair to use those stats, but I don't follow tennis enough to know better.

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

How many men have played at those tournaments in comparison to women?

If it's even then it'd be fair to use those stats, but I don't follow tennis enough to know better.

Numbers are totally even, both sexes have 128 players in the draw.

The only argument you could really use is that men play more sets, but that is still not enough to counter that sort of difference.

As an n=1 rough estimate, the women's finalists played 244 games between them in the US Open, the men 413. That's just under 60% court time (which is fair seeing as men play best of 5 & women best of 3), yet they are receiving 35% of the number of code violations compared to men in GS. Maybe umpires are being too lenient or maybe women behave better on court? Serena really hasn't come out of this whole affair looking very good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I'm no expert, but this Zverev kid looks the dogs bollux.

Definitely. He’s so young and already a top 4 player. Just needs to take this form into grand slams where he has seriously underperformed til now.

On a side note, anyone else joining me in mourning the end of sky sports tennis? I know sky sports receives a lot of criticism, but their coverage really was the best. Amazon have the rights for the coverage of the tour for 2019 onwards. 

On 18/09/2018 at 10:35, SouthStandUpperTier said:

That particular stat is interesting. Specifically because it's so lopsided in the other direction. I get your point about male coaches and there may well be mileage in that explanation. However, whilst we've all seen 'meltdowns' on court by both sexes (I'm speaking more loss of game plan and composure during play, rather than an outburst of swearing), it does seem to happen more frequently in the woman's game. You can see games (and occasionally sets) were a male competitors serve goes off the boil but they tend to be more rare and often their serve is still placed alright, it's maybe just down on speed.. Now, I'm not saying women are more emotional, heaven forfend, but the frequency with which female tennis players serve can completely go to pieces and they seem to completely lose composure and start ballooning balls  5 yards long or wide seem less occasional to me.Just so happens, that can make the ladies game more interesting at times. I do wonder if a lot of the coaching violations in the ladies game are more a case of trying to simply get the player generally 'back on track', rather than a specific change of tactics trying to be implemented by the coach.

19 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

I do wonder if a lot of the coaching violations in the ladies game are more a case of trying to simply get the player generally 'back on track', rather than a specific change of tactics trying to be implemented by the coach.

Careful Max, you'll get accused of being a patronising male chauvinist with comments like this.

Personally I think it's about time coaching was allowed in all tournaments for the men and women, as long as it doesn't hold up the progress of the game. I wouldn't want to see coaching timeouts or such like. But if a player, instead of sitting down and drinking Robinson's barley water during a change of ends, wants to go over to where their coach is seated and talk things over, what's the big deal?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Careful Max, you'll get accused of being a patronising male chauvinist with comments like this.

Personally I think it's about time coaching was allowed in all tournaments for the men and women, as long as it doesn't hold up the progress of the game. I wouldn't want to see coaching timeouts or such like. But if a player, instead of sitting down and drinking Robinson's barley water during a change of ends, wants to go over to where their coach is seated and talk things over, what's the big deal?

I did attempt to circumvent that accusation with my carefully worded post lol Maybe it wasn't careful enough! It was a generalisation. which might be slightly unfair on women players. Still seems like the men just regain composure quicker. They can be screaming, shouting and swearing but, for the most part, they seem to be able to reapply their skills a little quicker.

Totally agree regarding the coaching during games, can't see the big deal either if it was the same for everyone.

• Like 1

I think the women coaching thins is simple really. They are allowed to talk to their coach a certain amount of times at change overs on the tour, so get used to their input throughout the year. Then rather stupidly the rules change in the grand slams and all of sudden so much as a nod could get you penalised. Would be interesting to see stats before and after coaching was legal on the tour.

As far as Zvarev concerned £50 at 9/2 was nice. Had a feeling he’d do it.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, rachhere said:

Back to it again with the tennis. Fantastic to see Andy Murray back from injury, and getting the win today, plus Jo Konta had a good win against Sloane Stephens. 

Any early predictions for the Aussie Open? 

Imo.  Djokovic to win AO and dominate until the clay court season when Nadal will probably still be young enough for another year of dominance. Zverev will to continue to improve and once he wins a grand slam doubt he will look back.  Hopefully Kyle can get himself into the top 10, Murray can get back somewhere near his best by the end of the season. And Dan the animal can stay off the talcum powder and get back in the top 100.

Biggest hope for 2019 is the sport sorts itself commercially as it doesn’t seem to be moving with the times.

On 01/01/2019 at 11:04, rachhere said:

Fantastic to see Andy Murray back from injury

13 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Murray ... to make at least Wimbledon semi.

It's good to see him playing again but it it can only be a short time before he calls it a day. He says he even has some pain from just walking and is having to adjust to a new training regime, with far less intensity. It seems extemely unlikely he can get anywhere his previous levels and despite his determination to succed, I just can't see him playing much longer. He does not the seem the type of person to be content with being a player knowing he cannot compete to anywhere his previous levels. He is starting in coaching and I can see he will he get greater fulfilment from helping other british players succeed.