Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Tennis

On 01/01/2019 at 13:10, Manwell Pablo said:

Imo.  Djokovic to win AO and dominate until the clay court season when Nadal will probably still be young enough for another year of dominance. Zverev will to continue to improve and once he wins a grand slam doubt he will look back.  Hopefully Kyle can get himself into the top 10, Murray can get back somewhere near his best by the end of the season. And Dan the animal can stay off the talcum powder and get back in the top 100.

Biggest hope for 2019 is the sport sorts itself commercially as it doesn’t seem to be moving with the times.

I would agree with that. I just don't know with Zverev - he really needs to get over this mental block when it comes to the grandslams - he's unperformed so badly in them. 

Really want to see Naomi Osaka win another grand slam so she can have a proper celebration, rather than that shameful event at the US Open - poor girl.  

13 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Either Murray or Kyle to make at least Wimbledon semi.

Other than that I'm going to go with the usual suspects - Nole AO, Rafa FO, Fed Wimby - but agree with Pabs that Zverev may well win one this year and I think it'll be the USO.

They seem pretty good predictions to me. Would love to see Delpo in another US Open final, but he's just had such a nightmare with injuries. 

6 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

It's good to see him playing again but it it can only be a short time before he calls it a day. He says he even has some pain from just walking and is having to adjust to a new training regime, with far less intensity. It seems extemely unlikely he can get anywhere his previous levels and despite his determination to succed, I just can't see him playing much longer. He does not the seem the type of person to be content with being a player knowing he cannot compete to anywhere his previous levels. He is starting in coaching and I can see he will he get greater fulfilment from helping other british players succeed.

It really seems unlikely to me, yeah. I hope he finishes off his career by turning to doubles and setting that as a new (and realistic) challenge. A lot less emphasis on movement, but still plays well to his other strengths. He could be a genuine contender for a grand slam doubles title.

Can see Djokovic pretty much dominating the ATP tour in 2019 unless he gets injured. Think it will take some time for Murray to get back challenging for tournaments, few Quarter Final runs will probably be his best bet for a little while. Would love to see Wawrinka and Tsonga get back to their best. Medvedev and Khachanov the players to watch this season.

Women's will be wide open as usual, majority of the top ten are extremely beatable. Sloane Stephens could easily dominate but her attitude towards the majority of tournaments she enters sucks. Wouldn't be surprised if Osaka wins another Slam, Sabalenka could well get her first.

20 hours ago, kingfox said:

Can see Djokovic pretty much dominating the ATP tour in 2019 unless he gets injured. Think it will take some time for Murray to get back challenging for tournaments, few Quarter Final runs will probably be his best bet for a little while. Would love to see Wawrinka and Tsonga get back to their best. Medvedev and Khachanov the players to watch this season.

Women's will be wide open as usual, majority of the top ten are extremely beatable. Sloane Stephens could easily dominate but her attitude towards the majority of tournaments she enters sucks. Wouldn't be surprised if Osaka wins another Slam, Sabalenka could well get her first.

See, I struggle supporting Wawrinka - it annoys me how many grand slams he has won, considering how inconsistent he can be - but that's completely irrational really and I am just bitter at how close he is to Andy's grand slam record, despite not having had any where near the same level of success over the tour as a whole. 

I meant to do a special shout out to Katie Boulter who is from Leicester and a big Foxes fan. She's starting to get some good results now. Jack Draper also one to look out for - he's had a great run after getting to junior Wimbledon final this year. Last I knew he was the highest ranked player for his age group in the world 

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

See, I struggle supporting Wawrinka - it annoys me how many grand slams he has won, considering how inconsistent he can be - but that's completely irrational really and I am just bitter at how close he is to Andy's grand slam record, despite not having had any where near the same level of success over the tour as a whole. 

I meant to do a special shout out to Katie Boulter who is from Leicester and a big Foxes fan. She's starting to get some good results now. Jack Draper also one to look out for - he's had a great run after getting to junior Wimbledon final this year. Last I knew he was the highest ranked player for his age group in the world 

That's a stretch :whistle: :D

Leicestershire you can have. Surely belongs to Loughborough town wise

12 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

That's a stretch :whistle: :D

Leicestershire you can have. Surely belongs to Loughborough town wise

She always says she's from Leicester, which is good enough for me. Home is where the heart is and all that. I always say I am from Leicester but technically lived in Leicestershire from age 4... if we are going to be that precise about it. I kind of feel Leicester should be pleased to claim me though, and likewise for her :thumbup:

42 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Murray to retire after Wimbledon, if he makes it... 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/46833018

Seems that way.

Such a shame that this injury has curtailed things for him. Three Slams isn't a bad return from a career, but then you look at the number of opportunities and wonder if it could have been more.

Here's hoping he gets stuck into the coaching setup.

Worse than I thought, didn't make much of that slight indication after his R1 Brisbane win but now he's put this out.

Hopefully he can play Wimbledon, it would be a fitting ending.

Moving onto punditry would be the move I'd like him to take, best I've heard anyone speak about Tennis when he nipped into the BBC Wimbledon studio last year.

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

Worse than I thought, didn't make much of that slight indication after his R1 Brisbane win but now he's put this out.

Hopefully he can play Wimbledon, it would be a fitting ending.

Moving onto punditry would be the move I'd like him to take, best I've heard anyone speak about Tennis when he nipped into the BBC Wimbledon studio last year.

I'm sure the Beeb will offer pretty much the moment he retires - then the decision is up to him, I guess.

So so gutted this morning. I first saw Andy play when he was 18 in an exhibition match against John McEnroe, and I can't begin to count how many times I have watched his matches, both in person and in the middle of the night on TV. Him winning the US Open was up there with Leicester winning the premiership for me in terms of emotions, and I was fortunate enough to be there to witness him and GB winning the Davis Cup in Belgium. I know that he gets criticised for being a bit boring at times, but the guy to me is the ultimate sporting model and as Brits we are lucky to have him.

• Like 3

I imagine he'll do a bit of coaching too. Always expresses an interest in the development of young British players, and apparently often checks in on how they are doing, so I would think he's want to help them improve.

Massive shame that his career is going to be ended prematurely due to injury. Would like to have seen him play for a few more years, even if its not at the same level he was.

Like him or not, he has done wonders for British Tennis. Imagine what the last 10 years or so would have been like if Murray hadn't been there? No British interest whatsoever.

I like him personally, hope he manages to get to Wimbledon.

Yep very sad, what a career though achieved so much in an absolutly brutal era of tennis, I doubt I'll see a more decorated British tennis player in my life time. Reading what he's been saying and it's also surfaced that the operation he's had is suppose to improve someone's quality of life, not enable them to play professional singles tennis, I think he'd be best off either taking his beating of Agut and either retiring or resting up until Wimbledon and taking a Wild Card. 

Well done to Cameron Norrie, Murray sort of stolen his Thunder a bit but he's into his first ATP tour final in Auckland.

One of Britain's (or Scottish, given that hilarious joke) best ever sportsmen.

In any other era he'd be pushing towards double figure grand slams, but conversely, the fact he was in this era probably made him as good a player as he could be. Seems a properly nice bloke off the court as well who never took himself too seriously - never understood the stick he got for supposedly being boring.

Hope he gets involved in Grass Roots Tennis.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, martyn said:

One of Britain's (or Scottish, given that hilarious joke) best ever sportsmen.

In any other era he'd be pushing towards double figure grand slams, but conversely, the fact he was in this era probably made him as good a player as he could be. Seems a properly nice bloke off the court as well who never took himself too seriously - never understood the stick he got for supposedly being boring.

Hope he gets involved in Grass Roots Tennis.

After the Davis Cup final he stayed afterwards to ensure that every single person who wanted a photo or autograph could get one. The guy could barely walk after the fatigue of three gruelling matches in three days, but hobbled round the arena doing two full laps to see everyone who stayed behind. He didn’t need to do that. None of the other players did.

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

How could they put that list at the bottom and not include Chris Hoy?

How could they put a list of very good sportsman at the bottom and come out with a "but he's not actually that good" for every single one? Especially the Froome one, "yeah but he's never won sports personality of the year"

****ing hell