Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Rail Travel

How much?

Did you click on "cheaper tickets on slower routes" which actually brings up the same route, but with the cheap tickets!! :frusty:

Where is this "cheaper tickets on slower routes"? I see no "cheaper tickets on slower routes".

I clicked on the link at the bottom that said something like "singles from £7". There were no £7 out (not early, anyway), but there is choice on the way back. We're paying £16 each in total for our travel. EMT still has no cheap seats available, and it's them operating the service. :doh:

Bet you lot could easily get down to London for £8 lol

Costs me more than that to get to London and I live about 20odd miles away (maybe I've understated that for effect).

Really? It costs me £13 for a return with a day travel card for London thrown in. Young Person's Railcard my friend.

Oh, by the by, Virgin Train destinations from London include Milton Keynes, Stockport, Crewe and Carlisle. If you fancy any of those trips then let me know, because you'll be travelling from London with me then I can get 40% off the London - MK/Stockport/Crewe/Carlisle part of the trip for both of us.

Really? It costs me £13 for a return with a day travel card for London thrown in. Young Person's Railcard my friend.

Oh, by the by, Virgin Train destinations from London include Milton Keynes, Stockport, Crewe and Carlisle. If you fancy any of those trips then let me know, because you'll be travelling from London with me then I can get 40% off the London - MK/Stockport/Crewe/Carlisle part of the trip for both of us.

Oh REALLY?

I'm confused.

I'm thinking of going Palace tommorrow. I have looked on the National Rail website, the EMT website and it seems very expensive. Preferably i'd like to leave from Nuneaton but if I had to go Hinckley (maybe Leicester) i'd consider it. But its £31 return from Nuneaton and about £40 return from Hinckley do these price sound right? Does anyone know how I can get them cheaper, for a start the whole website and travel planners seem confusing.

I'd really like to go but £31 (Train) + £15 (Match Ticket) + £20 (Food and Beer - Roughly...Mind you at London prices) = £66...For a friendly?! :nono:

Edit - And the train ticket is to London Euston so I still then have to travel to wherever Crystal Palace is in the hellhole called London so more £££

I've just paid for all my train tickets up to the end of October: Using the Cross Country site rather than the national one saves you money - you don't pay a postage fee and they don't charge a credit card booking fee. Forty bloody pounds to Huddersfield? I could buy a row of houses there for that!

£30.40 to Stockport...if they let me buy one.

The website crashed on me three times just as I was about to pay, telling me three different trains had sold out.

The automated call number took all the details again before dropping the line at the wrong moment.

The Indian call centre took all the details again, apologised and gave me a new number for real people at a real call centre.

They lied - it was another automated line...which took all the details again before transferring me to...

The Indian call centre...who wanted the travel details.

"But I've just given them to the computer which transferred me to you!"

"Aha!" says barely-speaks-English Indian call centre operative "But it transferred you to me because it couldn't understand you." :blink:

£30.40 to Stockport...if they let me buy one.

The website crashed on me three times just as I was about to pay, telling me three different trains had sold out.

The automated call number took all the details again before dropping the line at the wrong moment.

The Indian call centre took all the details again, apologised and gave me a new number for real people at a real call centre.

They lied - it was another automated line...which took all the details again before transferring me to...

The Indian call centre...who wanted the travel details.

"But I've just given them to the computer which transferred me to you!"

"Aha!" says barely-speaks-English Indian call centre operative "But it transferred you to me because it couldn't understand you." :blink:

It'll be the Brummie accent that fooled the system.

Shotgun that 3rd spot.

Lovely stuff. I've had a thought and the three people I can think of immediately that would be travelling from London for games are you, JTB, Monk and TPH. You shall have to fight amongst yourselves for my "40% off" friendship.

Straight train journey - £50.

A ticket to birmingham £19, tickets from there £6 each way, a regular ticket back from Birmingham, £6, total cost £37 with a brief section in first class too (saving 50p)

All on the same damn train there and back.

Who the hell invents these prices?

Straight train journey - £50.

A ticket to birmingham £19, tickets from there £6 each way, a regular ticket back from Birmingham, £6, total cost £37 with a brief section in first class too (saving 50p)

All on the same damn train there and back.

Who the hell invents these prices?

£37 to where?

If you're going to Stockport from Cardiff for less than I am doing it from Birmingham I'm going to be incredibly grumpy...and then I'm going to have to ask SUAS how to do this train thing properly.

Basingstoke to Stockport, but its with a railcard which is why its basically exactly the same as petrol costs.

Without a rail card, an advance single there and another back from Birmingham should come to about ~£10 each no?

Basingstoke to Stockport, but its with a railcard which is why its basically exactly the same as petrol costs.

Without a rail card, an advance single there and another back from Birmingham should come to about ~£10 each no?

I paid £37ish with no card.

I was just getting concerned that I seemed to be the only person not able to access cheaper fares through some inate level of stupidity :D

I was just getting concerned that I seemed to be the only person not able to access cheaper fares through some inate level of stupidity :D

Daggers.

What train you on from Birmingham to Stockport?

I got mine for £5.95 each way with a 16-25 railcard.

You got fleeced big time. Could've got it for as little as £13, or £18 for more reasonable times. This is without a Young Person's Railcard

birminghamtostockportyl7.jpg

You got fleeced big time. Could've got it for as little as £13, or £18 for more reasonable times. This is without a Young Person's Railcard

birminghamtostockportyl7.jpg

WTF!

Where the fudge did that price list come from...I've not seen anything looking like that and I've clicked on everything.

Hell.

It's always worth checking the prices of single tickets, as the train operators tend to use these for their cut price offers these days. Probably because no bugger would think about that for a return journey!

It's always worth checking the prices of single tickets, as the train operators tend to use these for their cut price offers these days. Probably because no bugger would think about that for a return journey!

Godammit!

From here to there using singles - twenty two damn quid!

Bastardbollocks! :angry:

I've got all my damn train tickets up to the end of sodding October as well.

Wankpuffs! :angry: :angry:

WTF!

Where the fudge did that price list come from...I've not seen anything looking like that and I've clicked on everything.

Hell.

Godammit!

From here to there using singles - twenty two damn quid!

Bastardbollocks! :angry:

I've got all my damn train tickets up to the end of sodding October as well.

Wankpuffs! :angry: :angry:

If you use the trainline (not sure about other sites) there's always a link on the page saying "Two singles might be cheaper. Singles from £x", and you can click on it to bring up a list like the one I showed you.

Archived