Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Absolute *** of our time Pt.MXXVI

5 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

4 hours ago, surrifox said:

Sold to make quack aphrodisiac and sexual potency preparations isn't it ? 

Hope anyone buying that shit gets gangrene of the ballsack 

Yep.

And while enforcement organisations focus solely on the supply (because the suppliers are usually poor) rather than the demand as well (because the demanders are rich) then all of this will keep happening.

10 hours ago, surrifox said:

Sold to make quack aphrodisiac and sexual potency preparations isn't it ? 

Hope anyone buying that shit gets gangrene of the ballsack 

I think that's Rhino horn.

Ivory is prized for its beauty when carved into pretty things for people to admire.

Truly sickening.

11 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Yep.

And while enforcement organisations focus solely on the supply (because the suppliers are usually poor) rather than the demand as well (because the demanders are rich) then all of this will keep happening.

The last president Ian Khama (son of the first president Seretse Khama) was a staunch conservationist and was fully behind the shoot-on-sight policy. He reached the 10-year presidential limit in April and made a point of not hanging on to power while Mugabe was in the process of being kicked out next door. The new president, Mokgweetsi Masisi, disarmed the anti-poaching units about a month after he came into office - and lo-and-behold, 90 elephants wind up dead. 

As far as I'm concerned it's no coincidence that China is getting ever more involved in Africa. They're funding roads, industry expansion and other massive projects - I was in Namibia a couple of years ago and they've built a huge harbour in Walvis Bay, just south of Swakopmund. I fear that the consequence of that will be the loss of even more wildlife, which would be a tragedy.

13 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

The last president Ian Khama (son of the first president Seretse Khama) was a staunch conservationist and was fully behind the shoot-on-sight policy. He reached the 10-year presidential limit in April and made a point of not hanging on to power while Mugabe was in the process of being kicked out next door. The new president, Mokgweetsi Masisi, disarmed the anti-poaching units about a month after he came into office - and lo-and-behold, 90 elephants wind up dead. 

As far as I'm concerned it's no coincidence that China is getting ever more involved in Africa. They're funding roads, industry expansion and other massive projects - I was in Namibia a couple of years ago and they've built a huge harbour in Walvis Bay, just south of Swakopmund. I fear that the consequence of that will be the loss of even more wildlife, which would be a tragedy.

This is all true - but again, keeping the anti-poaching units going is only focusing on the supply. You have to take care of the demand. 

But no one wants to do that because it's treading on the toes of folks who have money and influence.

Edited by leicsmac

On 07/09/2018 at 10:10, what? said:

landlords

Playing this might help your mood, but don't take it too literally - or if you do, please don't report me for incitement. :thumbup:

If it's the other sort of landlord you mean, this is the best I can do:

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

I was so offended by this tweet that I reported them to themselves. Excited to see if they act quicker on that than they did the grooming of young girls in Rotherham. 

Sigh.

And the worst thing about this misguided initiative is that in true Boy Who Cried Wolf fashion this could well mean that what most people think of as "genuine" hate crimes are going to get dismissed as frivolous - or at least some will use this as an excuse to do so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Sigh.

And the worst thing about this misguided initiative is that in true Boy Who Cried Wolf fashion this could well mean that what most people think of as "genuine" hate crimes are going to get dismissed as frivolous - or at least some will use this as an excuse to do so.

It's the victimhood mentality I just can't stand. It's like you've given up trying to be a fully grown adult and have resorted to hiding behind whatever aspect of your identity you perceive to have been targetted. Whatever happened to 'Sticks and Stones'? What is this saying to people? We'll protect your feelings? You can't legislate for people's emotions. The police should be telling people to grow up instead of wasting their time.

9 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

It's the victimhood mentality I just can't stand. It's like you've given up trying to be a fully grown adult and have resorted to hiding behind whatever aspect of your identity you perceive to have been targetted. Whatever happened to 'Sticks and Stones'? What is this saying to people? We'll protect your feelings? You can't legislate for people's emotions. The police should be telling people to grow up instead of wasting their time.

Well, words do have the power to hurt - that shows every time some poor kid does something rash because they've been targetted at school and there's no one to turn to, and also why autocratic governments censor stuff. Words can be and are important - so I think "sticks and stones" is pretty fallacious tbh.

That being said, you do have to have a clear line between what constitutes ribbing and what is actual, bona fide racial/sexual harassment or abuse and this doesn't really help with that.

TBH this would all be much better if folks didn't think someone else's identity/appearance was a reason to think them inferior.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2018 at 12:31, leicsmac said:

Sigh.

I think we’ve debated on this before and I’m glad you see this. The further along the path of tolerance, what’s offensive etc, the closer we get to the beginning again. 

1 hour ago, Benguin said:

I think we’ve debated on this before and I’m glad you see this. The further along the path of tolerance, what’s offensive etc, the closer we get to the beginning again. 

Yeah.

FWIW I have zero truck with anyone who even makes disparaging comments about folks based on their identity when that identity has less social power than the currently dominant one, but I also understand that other people think differently and that there are some out there who are only too happy to use stuff like this as an excuse to get away with acting on their very real beliefs that other races/sexes are "inferior" because of BS reasons.