Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

I have a company phone so basically know nothing about them or costs ( I do get taxed on company phones )

I'm looking for a phone for my son of 11 years. I'm a bit lost. I don't mind paying out for the phone but I don't want big monthly bills.

I would have thought £15 a month is fine?

It's bound to get broken, lost or stolen.

He will basically make the odd call and download loads of games (we do play pokemon go).

Any ideas and if they come with some sort of insurance?

What sort of issues occur when you lose one?

7 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Wireless headphones don't sound anywhere near as good as wired, so that's probably why people still go for wired. 

For me it's not so much the quality, it's the fact I have to charge the things up all the bloody while.

1 hour ago, Great Boos Up said:

I have a company phone so basically know nothing about them or costs ( I do get taxed on company phones )

I'm looking for a phone for my son of 11 years. I'm a bit lost. I don't mind paying out for the phone but I don't want big monthly bills.

He will basically make the odd call and download loads of games (we do play pokemon go).

I would just buy a cheap phone from Amazon which is unlocked (so you can put a sim card in from any network) then either get a pay as you go sim card or a cheap contract.

Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wileyfox-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Android-Nougat-Black/dp/B01LYX7DVI/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522272548&sr=1-22&keywords=smartphone

I would just do a bit of research if I was you.

11 hours ago, Great Boos Up said:

If he is anything like my 11 year old daughter, then data is the most important part of any plan you choose. I pay £24 for hers, this includes the price of the phone in the plan and she has unlimited minutes/texts and I think 5gb of data per month. She has an iPhone SE I think on Vodafone, but you could probably get that package for around £20 a month now. We pay a fiver a month for insurance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I was getting a phone for my kids, I'd get a Nokia 2 and put them on a PAYGO SIM. It has a large battery, uses 'vanilla' Android, and is very well priced. It only has 8gb of storage, but can take an SD card. As has been said data is hugely important, the Vodafone Big Value 20 deal for GBP20 sounds good - it has 6gb data.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-11E1MB01A05-UK-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Black/dp/B0786MLGMZ/ref=sr_1_6?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1522318100&sr=1-6&refinements=p_n_operating_system_browse-bin%3A1601695031%2Cp_89%3ANokia|Honor|Motorola%2Cp_36%3A138895031

I'm with EE £36pm on a Galaxy S6 and my early upgrade date is April 22nd (contract runs out early June)

There is 0% chance i'm staying with EE with their prices so high and Sky Mobile's being as good as they are. (possibly a fairly stupid) question is would I still have to pay off my contract if I cancelled from the 22nd April? Or is it free to leave after your early upgrade date but obviously still before your contract ends.

On 29/03/2018 at 11:18, Merging Cultures said:

If I was getting a phone for my kids, I'd get a Nokia 2 and put them on a PAYGO SIM. It has a large battery, uses 'vanilla' Android, and is very well priced. It only has 8gb of storage, but can take an SD card. As has been said data is hugely important, the Vodafone Big Value 20 deal for GBP20 sounds good - it has 6gb data.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-11E1MB01A05-UK-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Black/dp/B0786MLGMZ/ref=sr_1_6?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1522318100&sr=1-6&refinements=p_n_operating_system_browse-bin%3A1601695031%2Cp_89%3ANokia|Honor|Motorola%2Cp_36%3A138895031

Be very careful with low storage Android phones - many versions of Android OS itself take up over 6GB and require extra storage for updates. You might you are left with 1GB of actual usable storage on the phone. Most Android apps can't be run off the SD card (rooted allows for a few to be moved) but 8GB internal storage is not enough for a modern Android phone

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Walkers said:

I'm with EE £36pm on a Galaxy S6 and my early upgrade date is April 22nd (contract runs out early June)

There is 0% chance i'm staying with EE with their prices so high and Sky Mobile's being as good as they are. (possibly a fairly stupid) question is would I still have to pay off my contract if I cancelled from the 22nd April? Or is it free to leave after your early upgrade date but obviously still before your contract ends.

I would have thought that they would charge you to the end of your contract. They only offer an early upgrade to get you into a new contract.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a Samsung Galaxy S7 5 months ago from carphone warehouse and the charging port just yesterday has starting to play. I've used multiple cables so I know it's not that as well as cleaning out any dirt that's in there. The charger only works if I move it to one side of the port, from this reading stuff on the net it says I need to get a new charging port. I just wondered what anyone would suggest I do? 

36 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Got a Samsung Galaxy S7 5 months ago from carphone warehouse and the charging port just yesterday has starting to play. I've used multiple cables so I know it's not that as well as cleaning out any dirt that's in there. The charger only works if I move it to one side of the port, from this reading stuff on the net it says I need to get a new charging port. I just wondered what anyone would suggest I do? 

My wifes old s3 had this issue and my s5 did too. Common problem with Samsung although I just got the s9+ 2 weeks ago and love it. It uses usb-c which i hope will be better.

Do you have a warranty? Get the port fixed  from a trusted repair place. Not a cheap back door place.

Edited by Jattdogg
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

My wifes old s3 had this issue and my s5 did too. Common problem with Samsung although I just got the s9+ 2 weeks ago and love it. It uses usb-c which i hope will be better.

Do you have a warranty? Get the port fixed  from a trusted repair place. Not a cheap back door place.

Should be under warranty. 

Bought an Honor 7x yesterday to replace my old Moto G4, it's a great phone except there's one speaker at the bottom so if you're playing games or watching videos in landscape mode you can only hear from the right ear and it's really bothering me. Any hack that would allow the earpiece to function as an additional speaker?

• 1 month later...

Was about to ask if anybody has got a Moto G6 yet, as it's the logical replacement for my increasingly errant G4, but just discovered the latter is still under warranty having bought it at John Lewis - get in! Hopefully save me £240 I really don't have at the moment.

If the G4 didn't keep misbehaving I'd cheerily keep it for another year or so

On 03/06/2018 at 18:35, Ian Nacho said:

Longshot, but wondering if anyone has got the Oreo update on Samsung Galaxy S7 on EE, I'm still waiting.

I've got the S7 Edge on EE and also not got it yet. I believe its at least at the stage where EE are now testing it for release. 

• Thanks 1

On 03/06/2018 at 18:35, Ian Nacho said:

Longshot, but wondering if anyone has got the Oreo update on Samsung Galaxy S7 on EE, I'm still waiting.

I got it on Three last week. Although I didn't realise it was an android update until just now!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My current crap phone is in for repair so in the meantime I'm using my original Moto G which I bought in 2014, the model itself dating back to 2013.

Having cleared the fluff out the mic (if I'd done this two years ago I might not have thought it was broken and replaced it) it still works perfectly.

At £160 I think this is probably the best value electronic device I've ever bought

5 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

My current crap phone is in for repair so in the meantime I'm using my original Moto G which I bought in 2014, the model itself dating back to 2013.

Having cleared the fluff out the mic (if I'd done this two years ago I might not have thought it was broken and replaced it) it still works perfectly.

At £160 I think this is probably the best value electronic device I've ever bought

Great phone. Bought it in 2013 and still using it now. Battery still perfect and lasts all day. Dropped it a million times, not a single crack. Only minor issue is that after updating Google Maps the app's become a bit laggy. Wish they made more modern phones with a smaller screen, all the new phones are like 6 inches and have the weird tall and thin screen shape.

• 2 months later...

I currently use an Honor 9 Lite which cost me £150. I previously had a flagship model, the Nexus 6p, which I lost after getting a bit carried away following the England v Sweden game this summer lol

I must say, I'm very impressed with the quality. The difference in performance between the two phones is barely noticeable, despite the wide price gap. The only place I really notice the difference is when I use the far inferior camera system - the Nexus was excellent in this regard.

It has made me reassess if I really need a top of the line phone. Some of the Chinese imports have great specs when you look into it, so if you're not bothered about a 'name' phone, and for a normal phone user I'd suggest the difference is negligible.