Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Over Rated Songs.

33 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Why do people say stuff like "the majority of modern music is shit" biggest cop out statement ever, no truth in it whatsoever. Music is great currently 

I suppose it depends which "modern music" you look at. Most people will take the term "modern music" as music that enters the UK Top 40, which is mostly full of absolute trash. It's the furthest thing from a "cop out statement" you'll ever hear.

If you think that music is "great", then I really feel for you.

There's a couple of songs that stand out from the last decade.

My Love by Justin Timberlake. Never really liked this and think Timbaland had much better tunes than this but its looked on very favourably. In fairness he has some crackers, Cry Me a River, Sexyback, Rock Your Body, and What goes around but My Love is dull in comparison.

B.O.B by Outkast. One of the best songs of the 00s in some quarters. Again another act that has released some mighty singles/albums but I dont really get the appeal of this. I like about 7 or 8 other songs more on Stankonia.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2017 at 10:28, Adster said:

I suppose it depends which "modern music" you look at. Most people will take the term "modern music" as music that enters the UK Top 40, which is mostly full of absolute trash. It's the furthest thing from a "cop out statement" you'll ever hear.

If you think that music is "great", then I really feel for you.

Pretty much spot on. I'm in my late 40s and can't stand most of the music in the charts, like many my age.

The difference is, this was also true in my teens, 20s and 30s. People just love middle of the road, familiar mundanity, be it music, films, food or anything that requires a perspective.

Except politics, cos very few people go straight down the middle there, which has always baffled me.

15 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

On topic I'd have to agree that Queen take the prestigious title of most overrated, followed by Bob Dylan. I know it's a crime to criticise Dylan but just can't be arsed listening to that.

Dylan's singing ain't too good but lyrically nobody beats him, ever. Songwriting at it's best.

On 18/08/2017 at 15:19, TiffToff88 said:

Bohemian Rhapsody.

i LOVE Queen, but that song has to be the most overplayed, overrated song in history!

No. We Are The Champions.

Played for any title winner, of any competition, anywhere.

It's like no one has written a song about being the best in the last 40 years...

Oh, yeah, The Best. You would have thought that The Office would have killed it off by satirising it's overblown pomposity and overuse, but no.

On 8/22/2017 at 17:40, Arriba Los Zorros said:

so true, a truly awful band.

Ditto Bastille, ditto London Grammar, ditto James Bay.

All can get in the bin

London Grammar are decent, the rest can bin.

The 1975's early stuff was really great but they've gotten a bit up their own arses.

2 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

London Grammar are decent, the rest can bin.

The 1975's early stuff was really great but they've gotten a bit up their own arses.

Me, Sex, You, The City are all good songs and I love Antichrist too but I'm not really a fan of anything since.

Honestly though I think anyone who says all modern music is shit says it because they're either stuck in the past or they simply don't listen to enough music.

Millions and millions of people are making music across the world. There is more choice than there ever has been and it is all more accessible than it ever has been. If you can't find modern music you like then you aren't looking.

On 25/08/2017 at 00:36, ajthefox said:

Honestly though I think anyone who says all modern music is shit says it because they're either stuck in the past or they simply don't listen to enough music.

No, it's because most radio stations and tv channels have a very narrow selection of music. For instance, at work they plat Gem all day, so if that was all you heard you'd believe that the only modern music was by Ed Sheeran, Justin Beiber, Rag n Bone Man (seriously, his dirges are awful!) or Rihanna. 

In an age were it's not uncommon to have five or six artist in the top 40 with several tracks there (thanks for screwing things up, streaming and downloading (though that isn't exactly the cause, it's allowing any track to be counted to the singles chart, which I believe is being addressed)) then the seeming choice for the casual purveyor is limited compared to 20 years ago, when often every single entry in the top 40 could be by a different artist, offering a much broader choice.

Which is weird, cos with Spotify, Soundcloud, Bandcamp and the likes, it should be really easy to find new music... when I was in my youth I had to find new music by reading the inkies and then visiting record stores and asking them to play it, though CD listening stations soon took over.

It's really quite baffling, but I just think there's a broad cross-section of people who really LIKE to be told what to do.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2017 at 00:29, Wymeswold fox said:

Most of Adele's songs.

Sound like depressing funeral-esque songs..

If she got a little more exercise she wouldn't keep getting ditched and we might get some more upbeat classics like rolling in the deep! (Though I think the original title was 'sausage rolling in the street.')

You can take the girl out of Tottenham but you can't take Tottenham out of the girl.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2017 at 10:19, MrSpaM said:

I don't understand why it took so long for people to realise Tame Impala were just a shit version of the Beatles

You could arguably say that anybody is a shit version of The Beatles, I personally think Tame Impala are ace, particularly the first two albums, proper psychedelic rock and a nice change from all the lad rock rubbish we have about at the moment.

Archived