Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shrenchel

Whisky

• 4 months later...

I have more different whisky bottles above my cupboards than I can count (about 30)

If you want a smooth, mellow whisky then I can recently recommend Gentleman Jack from the JD distillery. Never tasted anything so smooth, though it's a little bland for my wholehearted approval.

Glenfarclas 105 remains my favourite whisky, but it's one of the more expensive ones. There used to be a pub in Clipstone in Northants, called the Bulls Head if I remember correctly, which had over 300 different malt whiskies and a whisky menu to choose from. Don't think it does anymore though, maybe the landlord moved on?

Doesn't one of our resident posters live in Clipstone? Maybe you/they can update me?

only have a bottle of Cardhu (12 years old i think) untouched and a bottle of Grants (7/8ths already drank). After my 40th late last year i was meant to starting a collection as i had a bottle of Jura given for my 40th but i drank it in a few days (well maybe 2 weeks at most!!! doh!!!). I went on a Whisky experience tour in Edinburgh last May and really got into the different tastes etc, its a beautiful drink if drank sensibly - my problem is i dont drink it sensibly usually!!

I have more different whisky bottles above my cupboards than I can count (about 30)

If you want a smooth, mellow whisky then I can recently recommend Gentleman Jack from the JD distillery. Never tasted anything so smooth, though it's a little bland for my wholehearted approval.

Glenfarclas 105 remains my favourite whisky, but it's one of the more expensive ones. There used to be a pub in Clipstone in Northants, called the Bulls Head if I remember correctly, which had over 300 different malt whiskies and a whisky menu to choose from. Don't think it does anymore though, maybe the landlord moved on?

Doesn't one of our resident posters live in Clipstone? Maybe you/they can update me?

Recently got a bottle of this myself, was on offer in Tesco £20. It is fantastic, I agree with the flavour but I gladly compensate that for how smooth it is.

How long ago are we talking? I live in Sibbertoft when I'm not at uni and I've been know to visit The Bull's Head from time to time. There's been a couple of changes of landlord in recent years and I'm not sure there's any particularly large whiskey selection any more.

Sibbertoft has a brill wine pub though (The Red Lion), not a fan of grape juice myself but they recently won Best Wine Pub for the Midlands.

only have a bottle of Cardhu (12 years old i think) untouched and a bottle of Grants (7/8ths already drank). After my 40th late last year i was meant to starting a collection as i had a bottle of Jura given for my 40th but i drank it in a few days (well maybe 2 weeks at most!!! doh!!!). I went on a Whisky experience tour in Edinburgh last May and really got into the different tastes etc, its a beautiful drink if drank sensibly - my problem is i dont drink it sensibly usually!!

That Jura is beautiful, gotta admit :thumbup:

How long ago are we talking? I live in Sibbertoft when I'm not at uni and I've been know to visit The Bull's Head from time to time. There's been a couple of changes of landlord in recent years and I'm not sure there's any particularly large whiskey selection any more.

Sibbertoft has a brill wine pub though (The Red Lion), not a fan of grape juice myself but they recently won Best Wine Pub for the Midlands.

It's probably longer ago than I think, certainly 5-6 years ago.

Ah well, all good things must end.

can't you count over 30 ? pfft , i can count up to 43 :) ( if me and the missus take off our shoes and socks )

Edited by Zingari

Which Jura did you get the orgin? or the superstition?

Anyone tried singleton or Dalmore 12 year old?

that looks nice buddy?

Crown Royal is the best Canadian Rye Whisky. All of my family memebers or friends who come to visit me in Canada from England ask for Crown Royal right away lol! It's not available for some reason in England but it's the number one selling canadian rye whisky in Canada and the United States. Tastes great on its own, on the rocks, great with coke, 7up, or ginger ale. And the packaging is great the crown shape bottle is a unique.

Wikipedia Crown Royal

"The reigning monarch King George VI, afflicted with a deeply painful root canal, asked his wife Queen Elizabeth to devise an elixir to sooth his recently placed crown. She tasked Samuel Bronfman, President of the Seagram Company, with the creation of a quality elixir to be packaged in a crown-shaped bottle and dressed in a distinctive royal purple bag to be presented to the king. Like the packaging, the name chosen for the product was intended to reflect the quality of the spirit and as a play on words for its original intended use, a marketing concept that quickly caught consumer attention. It was available only in Canada until 1964."

I know you get Canadian Club over there in the U.K, but trust me this is 100 times better. Canadian Club doesn't even come close to Crown Royal.

"Canadian whisky is a type of whisky produced in Canada. Most Canadian whiskies are blended multi-grain liquors containing a large percentage of corn spirits, and are typically lighter and smoother than other whisky styles.[1]

According to the laws of Canada, a Canadian whisky must be mashed, distilled and aged in Canada. It may contain caramel and flavouring in addition to the distilled mash spirits, and there is no maximum limit on the alcohol level of the distillation[2], so the bulk of the distilled content (often more than 90 percent) may be neutral spirits or near-neutral spirits rather than "straight" whiskies. It must be aged for at least three years in a wooden barrel of not greater than 700 L capacity, and it must contain at least 40 percent alcohol by volume.[2] The barrel used for aging is not required to be charred or new.

Laws in some other countries, such as the United States, recognize Canadian whisky as an indigenous product of Canada, and require that products labeled as Canadian whisky must satisfy the laws of Canada that regulate the manufacture of Canadian whisky for consumption in Canada.[3] When sold in another country, Canadian whisky is typically also required to conform to the local product requirements that apply to whiskey in general when sold in that country, which may in some aspects involve stricter standards than the Canadian law."

Canadian Whisky

• 1 month later...