Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

Worst job you ever had

My first job lol ... Sainsburys. I hated it.

I quite enjoyed Sainsburys.  There we some right idiots though, like the one who admitted to me he and lots of the other youngsters were stealing customers "reward cards" at the tills.  Shame I wasn't in on the shift when the police took them all away.

Back in the day I started off as pot washer at Mr Beanbags in Oadby. It was just a saturday job to give me some pocket money. Then I progressed and became a waiter and finally I did some cooking. Then during my a-levels I got too busy to work on Saturdays but I cleaned the toilets a few nights a week to keep some extra money coming in. But it was a bit sh!t.

At uni I also cleaned cars at BMW Heathrow, then I crashed one, I guess technically two, and quit :)

I quite enjoyed Sainsburys. There we some right idiots though, like the one who admitted to me he and lots of the other youngsters were stealing customers "reward cards" at the tills. Shame I wasn't in on the shift when the police took them all away.

Remember my best mate being carted away at Fosse Park who had nicked about 16k allegedly. No charges mind, obviously he said it was worth it. Can imagine the situation that put me in.

I quite enjoyed Sainsburys.  There we some right idiots though, like the one who admitted to me he and lots of the other youngsters were stealing customers "reward cards" at the tills.  Shame I wasn't in on the shift when the police took them all away.

When I was there, someone got sacked for stealing thousands of nectar points. Not sure if anything happened to him legally.

Pot washer. 10 hour shifts without a break sometimes.

Only positive was at the end of a shift on a sunday there would be loads of spare carvery food that I could destroy.

feeding the scraps to the bottom of the ladder workers. That happened to me aswel was awesome. At Gynsills we had some right random pot washers, some would even eat the leftover meat from customers. One bloke always picked the meat out the bin to eat it if it was a big piece. God we had some tramps work there haha

Remember my best mate being carted away at Fosse Park who had nicked about 16k allegedly. No charges mind, obviously he said it was worth it. Can imagine the situation that put me in.

The thing was they were nicking from the customers.  Some of them were saving their points to pay for Christmas dinner.  Not on that.

The thing was they were nicking from the customers.  Some of them were saving their points to pay for Christmas dinner.  Not on that.

Completely out of order, never heard of any of that going on at Fosse Park.

lol lol

Never had a job I hated, wouldn't do it if I did.

INot being funny but I thought you have said before if desparate take what you can. I tried for another job when I was 21 at  the warehouse similar sort of thing and was told I was too old. I felt I was being used. I started off as a cob boy and if the one that took over was not available they got me to do it. there was also a woman on a gle/labeling machine. When I moved to the packing section I kept being asked to help her out. Also when the blokes did the socks they were put in boxes on the floor. At times it was absolutely packed so when the younger lads fell behind with taking them into the warehouse guess who was called to clear it? Muggings me. I was never fast but I cleared everything PDQuicker than the others did.I asked to go on the piecework side of it doing the socks. Nothing came of it so I asked the bloke in charge of loading lorries if I could work with him. Was called intothe managers office who said I said you could go on the piecework why ask about the loading bay? within a week I was  training and less than 3 months on my own time even though i was told it was a long process to train.

Still got called off it to help out on other things. And i stuck that for 32 years.

INot being funny but I thought you have said before if desparate take what you can. I tried for another job when I was 21 at  the warehouse similar sort of thing and was told I was too old. I felt I was being used. I started off as a cob boy and if the one that took over was not available they got me to do it. there was also a woman on a gle/labeling machine. When I moved to the packing section I kept being asked to help her out. Also when the blokes did the socks they were put in boxes on the floor. At times it was absolutely packed so when the younger lads fell behind with taking them into the warehouse guess who was called to clear it? Muggings me. I was never fast but I cleared everything PDQuicker than the others did.I asked to go on the piecework side of it doing the socks. Nothing came of it so I asked the bloke in charge of loading lorries if I could work with him. Was called intothe managers office who said I said you could go on the piecework why ask about the loading bay? within a week I was  training and less than 3 months on my own time even though i was told it was a long process to train.

Still got called off it to help out on other things. And i stuck that for 32 years.

Well that's why I worked hard for my qualifications Ken, so I wouldn't have to stay in a job I hated. If you can't be bothered to do anything like Lamby openly admits then you will have to take anything you can. The great news is though every individual has that choice, even some of the dopiest people I've ever met have done well in life through sheer hard work and determination as they realised they weren't going to get there on intellect alone.

Why did you stick at that for 32 years? Only you can answer that question.

You and I have got 30,000+ posts on here between us, just think how better both our lives would be had we used that time for self benefit and hard work?

Only had 2 jobs to date, my first was with the Co-op and that was by far the worst, just a horrible experience.

I had a job with the co-op, it wasn't too bad. My worst job was working as a waiter in a chain pub; the boss and the customers were pretty dreadful, and to be honest, I was pretty shit at the job (partly because they never bothered training me properly). 0 hour contracts are terrible.

3D printing job I had was fantastic though.

Well that's why I worked hard for my qualifications Ken, so I wouldn't have to stay in a job I hated. If you can't be bothered to do anything like Lamby openly admits then you will have to take anything you can. The great news is though every individual has that choice, even some of the dopiest people I've ever met have done well in life through sheer hard work and determination as they realised they weren't going to get there on intellect alone.

You and I have got 30,000+ posts on here between us, just think how better both our lives would be had we used that time for self benefit and hard work?

Not to mention all of us who had to read all of that drivel. :P

Sadly, no matter how hard you work, not everyone can get through life without having to do a job you hate, at least at some point. I think you got pretty lucky there!

Which store and how long ago?

Fosse Road North, Tudor Road is right round the back of the store. It was very rare that my shifts were not just me and a manager. We had constant thefts, threats and abuse, it was just miserable. I was there for 4 years, left around 2 and half years ago now

Sadly, no matter how hard you work, not everyone can get through life without having to do a job you hate, at least at some point. I think you got pretty lucky there!

True, but the harder I work the luckier I seem to get.

I'm now in a pretty bad position compared to 5 years ago, it's not a coincidence I've worked a lot less harder in that time either.

Not everyone has that choice. Sometimes something comes up when you least expect it which can stop your career in its tracks. Physical illness, mental illness, all sorts of life circumstances which you can't control. You can make the best of them but can't control them.

Sounds like you've grafted AND been lucky.

Good for you.

Archived