Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

Worst job you ever had

Fosse Road North, Tudor Road is right round the back of the store. It was very rare that my shifts were not just me and a manager. We had constant thefts, threats and abuse, it was just miserable. I was there for 4 years, left around 2 and half years ago now

I got offered a move there earlier this year, turned it down.

I worked in the Next call centre in the Home Department. People i worked with were fine just the job itself was shit. Having to listen to people complain all day everyday. If i ever meet Miss Powell i will personally shove that pillow case so far up her arse she will be flossing her teeth with it.

I worked in a Next store alongside my studying so I can sympathise with you somewhat, was on the womenswear department and never realised how much people complained about everything until I started working there, was even more annoying when you try and explain that you're a minimum wage employee and can't do much about some problems because they just get even angrier and you just have to stand there and try and 'sympathise'. Apart from the customers it was a good job, worked with great people and was a fairly easy time except sale days and 5am starts!

True, but the harder I work the luckier I seem to get.

I'm now in a pretty bad position compared to 5 years ago, it's not a coincidence I've worked a lot less harder in that time either.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that to be honest, hard work does tend to pay off in the long run. But sometimes you have to take a shitty job to keep things going and pay the bills in the short term, something that most people have to put up with at some point.

But still, it's good character building.

I worked in a Next store alongside my studying so I can sympathise with you somewhat, was on the womenswear department and never realised how much people complained about everything until I started working there, was even more annoying when you try and explain that you're a minimum wage employee and can't do much about some problems because they just get even angrier and you just have to stand there and try and 'sympathise'. Apart from the customers it was a good job, worked with great people and was a fairly easy time except sale days and 5am starts!

One thing my supervisor always told me was to be sympathetic to customers but as soon as they start swearing and become abusive then i was free to say whatever i wanted and Next would always back you. I remember telling one customer to just shut the **** up. They couldnt believe it. Those phone calls were brilliant but it was only in extreme circumstances i could swear back.

I remember one customer telling a co worker he would come down to the call centre and knock him out. My co worker was quite a big guy so told the customer his name and that he finished at 6pm. So when we all finished at 6 and were walking out theres some random bloke standing in the car park just shouting out the co workers name repeatedly. Once he saw said co worker he soon jumped in his car. But we surrounded the car so my co worker could give him an earful. He ended up turning up radio full blast and forcing his way through the crowd.  

Pussy

feeding the scraps to the bottom of the ladder workers. That happened to me aswel was awesome. At Gynsills we had some right random pot washers, some would even eat the leftover meat from customers. One bloke always picked the meat out the bin to eat it if it was a big piece. God we had some tramps work there haha

That is ****ing disgusting. We were told if we ever did that, we would be sacked on the spot.

That feeling when the carver brought a massive pot of yorkshire puddings with a tub of gravy into the kitchen.

That is ****ing disgusting. We were told if we ever did that, we would be sacked on the spot.

That feeling when the carver brought a massive pot of yorkshire puddings with a tub of gravy into the kitchen.

Well after my potwashing days i moved onto the cooking side and eventually got on the grill. When it was busy i would 'accidently' put on an extra gammon steak. So when the rush had finished i would have steak,chicken, gammon and much more to devour. God i went through some stock haha lol

Never had a bad job.  Work hard at school kids!

Wish I had!!

I could always just cruise through stuff with very little effort (sounds a bit big headed), but it stopped me from ever really pushing hard to get the best out of myself.

It was only when i reached 30 that I started to get a real thirst for learning and wanting to improve myself. I've done ok for myself don't get me wrong, but I do wonder what I could have done had a pushed myself more as a kid.

Well after my potwashing days i moved onto the cooking side and eventually got on the grill. When it was busy i would 'accidently' put on an extra gammon steak. So when the rush had finished i would have steak,chicken, gammon and much more to devour. God i went through some stock haha lol

I used to clean the top floor where the big fridge was kept and eat chocolate buttons and other stuff. Had some tasty food whilst I worked there, but not enough to make me stay. Now I have a nice office job.

Worst 'good' job I had was for a major financial institution just after Uni. Shared an office with corporate sales. Well-paid but soul destroying, I quit after 9 months. Never want to work in front of a computer or next to people with designer goatees ever again.

I worked at Co-op for three years. First two were good working with people my age - then they gradually all left to get proper jobs so the final year was awful and then I couldn't last any longer so quit six months after they replaced the manager with a complete t*sser and the rest of the management there were awful too.

Worked in a paint factory in Dorset for a couple of months (temp) order picking in warehouse. Which wasn't a fast environment, but during the summer with the fumes and the heat it was just part of my hell.

Every tin I put on the pallet had to have 3 lid clips put on them. So hundreds of these a day put on by hand.

large-paint-can-clips-for-tin-paint-cans

But as I don't have fingers made of concrete, and have very flexible finger joints, they clips were literally taking chunks out of my flesh. The lads in the warehouse pissed themselves laughing, but each day my fingers just worse and worse making each clip harder and harder to put on.

Thankfully I pissed it off and worked in a bread distribution warehouse and nearly broke myself lifting 8 stacks of loaf pallets by hand onto the back of lorries of sets of wheels with a big hook thing. Christ I  hated that summer.

Worked in a paint factory in Dorset for a couple of months (temp) order picking in warehouse. Which wasn't a fast environment, but during the summer with the fumes and the heat it was just part of my hell.

My first job was at a paint factory in Ashby. Remember blowing my nose at the end of a shift and the tissue turning black, fork lift trucks blocking fire exits, supervisors who wouldn't let you use the toilet 15 minutes before closing time (they would literally stand there blocking it), and coming home every night covered in all of the colours of the rainbow with a bit of glue thrown in for good measure.

One thing I learned from it is that everyone should have a sh*t job during their teens just to motivate you to work harder so you don't have a sh*t job for life! 

Every tin I put on the pallet had to have 3 lid clips put on them. So hundreds of these a day put on by hand.

large-paint-can-clips-for-tin-paint-cans

But as I don't have fingers made of concrete, and have very flexible finger joints, they clips were literally taking chunks out of my flesh. The lads in the warehouse pissed themselves laughing, but each day my fingers just worse and worse making each clip harder and harder to put on.

Thankfully I pissed it off and worked in a bread distribution warehouse and nearly broke myself lifting 8 stacks of loaf pallets by hand onto the back of lorries of sets of wheels with a big hook thing. Christ I  hated that summer.

They're just as bad when you take them off, if you're not careful they'll flick up and catch you in the eye.

My first job was at a paint factory in Ashby. Remember blowing my nose at the end of a shift and the tissue turning black, fork lift trucks blocking fire exits, supervisors who wouldn't let you use the toilet 15 minutes before closing time (they would literally stand there blocking it), and coming home every night covered in all of the colours of the rainbow with a bit of glue thrown in for good measure.

One thing I learned from it is that everyone should have a sh*t job during their teens just to motivate you to work harder so you don't have a sh*t job for life! 

Calder Colours?

I did a shift lifting McFlurry mix from a belt on to a pallet. Every now and again some wierdo would come and remove the pallet and drop a new one for me to build. I was incredibly hungover as I did this. Did one shift and then begged for my old Tesco job back which I got.

Archived