Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
J.Lisemore

'Britain the worst place to live'

That was meant to be a tongue in cheek comment, I'm genuinely sorry it came out wrong. However, I will say that retirement age doesn't have to be a government mandated age. You are young and if you plan as early as you can, you can be the decider of your future.

I'm no left wing commie, but that is a ridiculously capitalist view

Guest BlueBrett

The worst thing about living here is that most of our women are fat or ugly or both.

Other than that I love my country and wouldn't want to be from anywhere else in the world.

The worst thing about living here is that most of our women are fat or ugly or both.

Other than that I love my country and wouldn't want to be from anywhere else in the world.

Loads of them at the Walker's on matchdays.

Surprising.

I would say my 'pride' in being English is long gone, guess that went when we lost our identity as a nation.

Without wanting to sound like a cliché, glib Welshman - England has always somewhat struggled for a "national identity."

You've been an international melting pot for centuries. and it shows really. You have next to no lasting culture, folk heritage or the like.

There's the idea of the rough, rugged Tommy I suppose but I'd say that's always been more of a British identity than a uniquely English one. You're surrounded by three home states with a hugely strong connection to Celtic roots that they realistically lost centuries ago in any actual biological sense (if it was ever there in the first place) and it means a lot to them.

The English are just, typically, too apathetic to care too much - there's little love of your history and it's really looking back that defines our identity.

Europe always be hatin.

I love living in this country, if you actually make an effort with yourself and don't expect everything to be handed to you, life in Britain can be the best in the world. Despite all the bureaucrats and insane parking fees.

If you don't realise how many beautiful girls are here either you're mad. Maybe i'm just tainted from living in a Surrey & Brighton bubble or something.

Guest DavidJCW

Well all I can say is based on what I know.

I've experienced living abroad and here now, and Belgium (where I lived for 15 years) is a far nicer place than here. Nicer people, nicer place, nicer atmosphere.

The UK isn't bad, no no no, but for me, there's too much wrong with it in comparison to Belgium.

Without wanting to sound like a cliché, glib Welshman - England has always somewhat struggled for a "national identity."

You've been an international melting pot for centuries. and it shows really. You have next to no lasting culture, folk heritage or the like.

There's the idea of the rough, rugged Tommy I suppose but I'd say that's always been more of a British identity than a uniquely English one. You're surrounded by three home states with a hugely strong connection to Celtic roots that they realistically lost centuries ago in any actual biological sense (if it was ever there in the first place) and it means a lot to them.

The English are just, typically, too apathetic to care too much - there's little love of your history and it's really looking back that defines our identity.

Hmm, disagree with a lot of that.

No lasting culture? What is culture? Food, traditions, arts, history?

If your saying England has none of that your a fool and that statement is nothing short of offensive.

Most people that would identify with being British would be the English (bar the Northern Irish). If we didn't have a culture, then the English wouldn't be as famous as it is. Most people around the world can identify the cultural landmarks and food and people of England, even if they use stereotypes.

Head to the countryside, then you might see some English culture.

Well all I can say is based on what I know.

I've experienced living abroad and here now, and Belgium (where I lived for 15 years) is a far nicer place than here. Nicer people, nicer place, nicer atmosphere.

The UK isn't bad, no no no, but for me, there's too much wrong with it in comparison to Belgium.

The midlands is a miserable place compared to the south though. You lot can't judge life in England living in bloody Leicester!

You have next to no lasting culture, folk heritage or the like.

That's rubbish, there's loads of culture and heritage from top to toe in England, and the rest of Britain.

Europe always be hatin.

I love living in this country, if you actually make an effort with yourself and don't expect everything to be handed to you, life in Britain can be the best in the world. Despite all the bureaucrats and insane parking fees.

If you don't realise how many beautiful girls are here either you're mad. Maybe i'm just tainted from living in a Surrey & Brighton bubble or something.

:thumbup:

I think that goes for most places but yes definitely for Britain. Life is good here and you can live it to suit how want to live it in most cases. Obviously some people are stuck in vicious circles without money e.t.c. but that's the same in every country worldwide.

That's rubbish, there's loads of culture and heritage from top to toe in England, and the rest of Britain.

But who actually gives a fuck about it? And that's a serious question, not me baiting you. How many people in England really care?

I think both yourself and Lavrentis are assuming I'm trying to put the boot in here - which is fair enough, I have a track record and I don't blame you for assuming so - but I'm actually very pro-English pride. I very much dislike the idea of "British" identity, I self-identify as European and Welsh and I really do love the English that are very keen and very passionate (though, not in any sort of Jingoistic sense) about being English.

But as Vin Garbutt, a major English folk musician (and the fact you've NEVER heard of him is exactly my point), points out - the English just don't really find themselves celebrating those roots, while the Irish, the Scottish and the Welsh base a lot of their self identity on that. Maybe it's an inferiority complex on our part, I don't know, we see big, modern Britain developing beside us and we cling on to this Celtic idea because we're desperate to feel unique.

But, as I say, there's a great deal of apathy in England in regards to history and looking back. Of course there are people who are examples and, as I say, I celebrate those people - you may be one yourself - but you're largely alone.

Guest DavidJCW

The midlands is a miserable place compared to the south though. You lot can't judge life in England living in bloody Leicester!

Ah but you see, I have lived in London, been up to Lancaster many many many times on long visits cause my grandparents all live up there, so I know virtually the whole spectrum.

What I will say though, is that in the nicer places of England, it's very very nice... it's just that larger places with more people are pretty grotty really. Shame... if people here were a little nicer to one another and got along, things mightn't be so bad.

Hmm, disagree with a lot of that.

No lasting culture? What is culture? Food, traditions, arts, history?

If your saying England has none of that your a fool and that statement is nothing short of offensive.

Most people that would identify with being British would be the English (bar the Northern Irish). If we didn't have a culture, then the English wouldn't be as famous as it is. Most people around the world can identify the cultural landmarks and food and people of England, even if they use stereotypes.

Head to the countryside, then you might see some English culture.

Completely agree with this.

I'm sure if you ask most teenagers in Bridge End about culture you'd get a similar response to most teenagers in inner city London.

Tragic thing is there are beautiful things in both (and most) countries, it's just that some people don't choose or don't know how/where to find them

But who actually gives a fuck about it? And that's a serious question, not me baiting you. How many people in England really care?

I think both yourself and Lavrentis are assuming I'm trying to put the boot in here - which is fair enough, I have a track record and I don't blame you for assuming so - but I'm actually very pro-English pride. I very much dislike the idea of "British" identity, I self-identify as European and Welsh and I really do love the English that are very keen and very passionate (though, not in any sort of Jingoistic sense) about being English.

But as Vin Garbutt, a major English folk musician (and the fact you've NEVER heard of him is exactly my point), points out - the English just don't really find themselves celebrating those roots, while the Irish, the Scottish and the Welsh base a lot of their self identity on that. Maybe it's an inferiority complex on our part, I don't know, we see big, modern Britain developing beside us and we cling on to this Celtic idea because we're desperate to feel unique.

But, as I say, there's a great deal of apathy in England in regards to history and looking back. Of course there are people who are examples and, as I say, I celebrate those people - you may be one yourself - but you're largely alone.

Plenty of people care, I don't see what evidence you've got against that??

I don't care whether you're trying to put the boot in or not, I'm not assuming anything, just pointing out your ridiculously inaccurate statement.

Just because we don't make a big fuss of St. Georges day, it doesn't mean we don't care about the huge swathes of culture and heritage this country has.

Well seeing as it seems like they want people to work until they die, or atleast it seems to be going that way, i'm glad I have sorted my own savings/pension for the future already, call it premature but the day I left school and started work I started saving, saving for house, future, and pension.

Obviously things will happen throughout life, not all my plans will go to plan but the plan I had and still have is when I reach 50 - 55 semi retire and go part time, wouldn't fully retire I don't think because when I got made redundant and was out of work for a few months I found it very boring, but there is more to life than work and I ain't working till i'm nearly dead.

As for Britain being the worst place to live, no it's not, Certainly not the best, but no-where near the worst.

There should be a discussion about 'The Best Things about Britain' , I've also read some articles about what were regarded for. Good things include:

Football - The Prem and Championship, lower leagues etc

The Pub

Roast DInner

Tea

Shops

Curry - Basically our adopted National dish.

Fish and Chips

Skilled workers particularly Engineers, Medical persons

The list goes on ..

Things that suck : Petrol Prices, Immigration, We do have some ridiculous laws e.g criminals let off easily, Hooligans.

The english do have an identity - stiff upper lip, tough backbone, don't gripe etc lol.

Bunch of moaning cunts in my experience but far more open minded culturally that this backwater shit hole I live in.

Archived