Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Albums you haven't listened to for ages but then when you do listen to them you wonder why you didn't listen to them for ages

On 14/12/2016 at 16:22, StanSP said:

Not their best album but one I've listened to a lot recently.

californication.jpg

The momentum throughout the eighties and early nineties in my opinion culminated in their finest work, Blood Sugar Sex Magic - which was what the Chili Peppers were all about. The album propelled them to newfound commercial success but creatively they pretty much self destructed with the exit of John Frusciante. When he eventually returned (minus teeth) from his addiction and breakdown to spark the renaissance that lead to world domination, technically, he was a shadow of the guitarist he formerly had been - but a transcendent songwriter. Consequently, Johnny Marr cites JF as the most complete musician he has ever worked with. Worth also mentioning also, that in terms of arrangements, production and sequencing, Rick Rubin deserves much credit from transforming the Chili Peppers from a backroom bozo garage band into the creatively mature force that yielded their finest material.  Despite that, I found the relentless commerciality of the reborn Chili Peppers tiresome and preferred the funk alt-metal era before they became one of your Mum's favourite mainstream bands. Bands have to evolve granted and I'm hardly suggesting that they should still be parading around sporting socks on their cocks, but having seen them in the eighties with Hillel Slovak at Dingwalls in a crowd of about 200 people - radio friendly stuff like 'Scar Tissue' makes me cringe. Becoming a stadium band sapped them of their identity - and although the genius of Frusciante made it possible, it's also one of the reasons he left. Honestly, as much as I love Frusciante as an artist I'd rather listen to the outright metal of 'One Hot Minute' and the irrelevance of Dave Navarro's aimless fretboard excursions than one single bar of the ****ing Zephyr song.  Besides, at the time he was also doing this with his mate Josh Klinghoffer - and if you like that sort of thing, it's far, far better...

Or better still, grab a copy of the Empyrean...

Personally, in respect of the RHCPs - they'll always be funk metal to me - so I prefer the 'backroom bozo garage band' era. Sorry.

• Like 4

On 12/17/2016 at 18:10, Line-X said:

The momentum throughout the eighties and early nineties in my opinion culminated in their finest work, Blood Sugar Sex Magic - which was what the Chili Peppers were all about. The album propelled them to newfound commercial success but creatively they pretty much self destructed with the exit of John Frusciante. When he eventually returned (minus teeth) from his addiction and breakdown to spark the renaissance that lead to world domination, technically, he was a shadow of the guitarist he formerly had been - but a transcendent songwriter. Consequently, Johnny Marr cites JF as the most complete musician he has ever worked with. Worth also mentioning also, that in terms of arrangements, production and sequencing, Rick Rubin deserves much credit from transforming the Chili Peppers from a backroom bozo garage band into the creatively mature force that yielded their finest material.  Despite that, I found the relentless commerciality of the reborn Chili Peppers tiresome and preferred the funk alt-metal era before they became one of your Mum's favourite mainstream bands. Bands have to evolve granted and I'm hardly suggesting that they should still be parading around sporting socks on their cocks, but having seen them in the eighties with Hillel Slovak at Dingwalls in a crowd of about 200 people - radio friendly stuff like 'Scar Tissue' makes me cringe. Becoming a stadium band sapped them of their identity - and although the genius of Frusciante made it possible, it's also one of the reasons he left. Honestly, as much as I love Frusciante as an artist I'd rather listen to the outright metal of 'One Hot Minute' and the irrelevance of Dave Navarro's aimless fretboard excursions than one single bar of the ****ing Zephyr song.  Besides, at the time he was also doing this with his mate Josh Klinghoffer - and if you like that sort of thing, it's far, far better...

Or better still, grab a copy of the Empyrean...

Personally, in respect of the RHCPs - they'll always be funk metal to me - so I prefer the 'backroom bozo garage band' era. Sorry.

lol, im not sure i understand all he said.... blood, sugar...etc is a brilliant album :)

On 12/22/2016 at 22:08, Watson said:

Image result for transformer lou reed

this came along with the 8 track cassette player in my first car... stunning

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...