Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Blur

Questions Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, David Guiza said:

Recently discovered that my wife may have a half sister from her late father's previous marriage. The potential sister in this scenario is definitely a daughter of the lady that my wife's father was married to, and shares the same surname as my wife's dad. This could just be that his ex-wife kept the surname and had a daughter with another man so herein lies the problem. 

 

Does anybody know how to go about finding if my wife's dad is indeed the father of said woman, without contacting family members on his side and causing issues before Christmas has even begun! I know the Birth Certificate may show the father, but I understand that many birth certificates only show the mothers name? We want to make sure that said woman is a relation before we considering contacting her siblings etc. 

 

I have looked at a few free database sites and found information on the ex wife and can see that she still seems to go by her married name and lives with said daughter, or at least used to according to those records.

 

My low budget Sherlock novel depends on it. 

 

 

Sounds like a job for @Alf Bentley to me!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Have you looked on Ancestry? It's possible that she or her mum is part of a family tree on there, which may help. If he is her father and went to register the birth he will be named on the certificate, I think you can view them online these days. 

I think it would be unusual to give her daughter another man's surname, I still use my married name although I'm divorced, but if I had a child with my new partner but didn't marry him, I would give the child his name, not my old married name. I suppose it depends if she stayed with the father or not, if it's not your wife's dad.... 

Yeah, had a look previously and found similar information. For my wife's dad it lists the marriages and all the information in respect of the marriage to my wife's mum is correct, e.g. correct DOB etc for her and her siblings, marriage date to my wife's mum etc. It then lists his other marriage, but I understand that it could just mean that somebody with the same name/initials of around the same age exists and the records then get joined together. E.g. if there were another Emile I Heskey it may bring up his records and combine them both, this would be cleared if I obtained a copy of the marriage certificate I guess, as this would show his DOB and also his dad's name which my wife could verify is/is not correct? 

 

I've located the woman (potential sister in law) via social media as she matches in name, looks about the right age and is friends with somebody with the name of the mother (my wife's dad's ex wife). So it's a hell of a coincidence if not! 

 

As you say, it's unlikely that she would name keep that surname for her daughter even if she had it herself, you'd presumably either give the actual father's surname, or your maiden name?

 

I am now left with two problems to solve, I think:-

 

1. Solving that the Emile I Heskey (in this example, i'm unfortunately not a relation of the great man) is the same Emile I Heskey as my wife's dad.

2. Assuming point 1 is correct, clarifying that the ex wife didn't then have a daughter with another gentleman but keep the same surname for some bizarre reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, David Guiza said:

Recently discovered that my wife may have a half sister from her late father's previous marriage. The potential sister in this scenario is definitely a daughter of the lady that my wife's father was married to, and shares the same surname as my wife's dad. This could just be that his ex-wife kept the surname and had a daughter with another man so herein lies the problem. 

 

Does anybody know how to go about finding if my wife's dad is indeed the father of said woman, without contacting family members on his side and causing issues before Christmas has even begun! I know the Birth Certificate may show the father, but I understand that many birth certificates only show the mothers name? We want to make sure that said woman is a relation before we considering contacting her siblings etc. 

 

I have looked at a few free database sites and found information on the ex wife and can see that she still seems to go by her married name and lives with said daughter, or at least used to according to those records.

 

My low budget Sherlock novel depends on it. 

 

 

 

In my experience, most birth certificates do name the father - unless the child was born out of wedlock or something.

 

It sounds as if you're sure that your father-in-law was previously married to this woman's mother - and the woman has his surname.

Presumably, if you can obtain the right birth certificate, if your father-in-law was this woman's father, then he's likely to be named in the cert. If not, either another man will be named or no father will be named - suggesting there's no blood relationship?

 

There's no problem applying for birth certs from the General Register Office (GRO) online without family members knowing. But they cost about £11 a time, so you wouldn't want to be applying for lots of different certs, if it is a common name or you don't have much info about age, birth location etc.

 

From Ancestry and similar sites, it's easy to get basic info about births, marriages & deaths to narrow down your search - potentially pinpointing a particular birth cert (or 2-3), if you have enough info. But you'd then need to apply to the GRO for the cert(s), I think. You might be able to sign up for a free trial with Ancestry - or a 1-month subscription wouldn't be too costly. I have an Ancestry subscription and could do a quick search for you, if you wanted to PM me names & any approximate dates/locations you have....but I'm guessing that you or your wife might not want to send sensitive personal info to some strange bloke on the Internet?!

 

Info that might help pin down the right birth record: the woman's approximate age, her approximate birth location, her mother's maiden name, date your father-in-law remarried to your mother-in-law etc.

Cross-referencing to the corresponding marriage records might provide useful info (e.g. the mother's maiden name).

 

If you can get hold of the correct birth cert, that might provide further info to confirm whether it's relevant: e.g. precise address, father's occupation.

 

The more precise the info you have, the better your chances of finding the right records.....and uncommon names are a lot easier than common names: e.g. finding the birth cert of Anastasia Rodolphina Poltergeist-Carneiro, born in Sturminster Newton in 1980 is a lot easier than finding the birth cert of Mary Smith, born in southern England between 1965 and 1995. :D

 

Good luck - and let me know if I can help via Ancestry.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

 

In my experience, most birth certificates do name the father - unless the child was born out of wedlock or something.

 

It sounds as if you're sure that your father-in-law was previously married to this woman's mother - and the woman has his surname.

Presumably, if you can obtain the right birth certificate, if your father-in-law was this woman's father, then he's likely to be named in the cert. If not, either another man will be named or no father will be named - suggesting there's no blood relationship?

 

There's no problem applying for birth certs from the General Register Office (GRO) online without family members knowing. But they cost about £11 a time, so you wouldn't want to be applying for lots of different certs, if it is a common name or you don't have much info about age, birth location etc.

 

From Ancestry and similar sites, it's easy to get basic info about births, marriages & deaths to narrow down your search - potentially pinpointing a particular birth cert (or 2-3), if you have enough info. But you'd then need to apply to the GRO for the cert(s), I think. You might be able to sign up for a free trial with Ancestry - or a 1-month subscription wouldn't be too costly. I have an Ancestry subscription and could do a quick search for you, if you wanted to PM me names & any approximate dates/locations you have....but I'm guessing that you or your wife might not want to send sensitive personal info to some strange bloke on the Internet?!

 

Info that might help pin down the right birth record: the woman's approximate age, her approximate birth location, her mother's maiden name, date your father-in-law remarried to your mother-in-law etc.

Cross-referencing to the corresponding marriage records might provide useful info (e.g. the mother's maiden name).

 

If you can get hold of the correct birth cert, that might provide further info to confirm whether it's relevant: e.g. precise address, father's occupation.

 

The more precise the info you have, the better your chances of finding the right records.....and uncommon names are a lot easier than common names: e.g. finding the birth cert of Anastasia Rodolphina Poltergeist-Carneiro, born in Sturminster Newton in 1980 is a lot easier than finding the birth cert of Mary Smith, born in southern England between 1965 and 1995. :D

 

Good luck - and let me know if I can help via Ancestry.

 

 

3f8xr5.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone with an expertise in Inheritance Tax?  I believe that the exempt limit is £325,000 after which the taxman grabs 40%.  That's 40% of my savings which I've already paid tax on to bank.  I'd like my children to get what I've earned, not HMRC.  

 

I'm considering blowing the lot to buy a property which I can gift to them.  I believe that I have to live for seven years to avoid inheritance tax if I do and even then if the property appreciates in value HMRC will be after them for Capital Gains Tax.

 

None of this is very palatable but I'm after any strategy that gets my assets to my children.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do people do with old vinyl records, CD's and DVD's? I have no use for them, they don't seem to be worth anything, do I just take them to the tip? It seems a shame to just send it all to landfill but I can't find anyone who might be able to recycle them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

What do people do with old vinyl records, CD's and DVD's? I have no use for them, they don't seem to be worth anything, do I just take them to the tip? It seems a shame to just send it all to landfill but I can't find anyone who might be able to recycle them. 

With the CDs and DVDs I've been using music magpie. Could try them if you haven't already. Get the app on your phone, scan the barcodes and if they want them they offer you a price. Stick them all in a box, they email you a prepaid sheet to stick on the box and send someone round to collect it. I've recently got rid of shed loads using it, made some alright money on things I thought were worthless. Even if they offer 20p each it's better than binning them. Or give them to a charity shop.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kopic said:

With the CDs and DVDs I've been using music magpie. Could try them if you haven't already. Get the app on your phone, scan the barcodes and if they want them they offer you a price. Stick them all in a box, they email you a prepaid sheet to stick on the box and send someone round to collect it. I've recently got rid of shed loads using it, made some alright money on things I thought were worthless. Even if they offer 20p each it's better than binning them. Or give them to a charity shop.

Thanks, I will try music magpie. My local charity shops don't want them, the same as books, my books end up in the recycling bin. It must be my age but it seems a real shame to bin the music I have loved so much, it's just so accessible online now that I have no need for the CD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Thanks, I will try music magpie. My local charity shops don't want them, the same as books, my books end up in the recycling bin. It must be my age but it seems a real shame to bin the music I have loved so much, it's just so accessible online now that I have no need for the CD 

Yeah some want them, others have too many of them. Music magpie take some books too, they dont take everything but may worth trying it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

What do people do with old vinyl records, CD's and DVD's? I have no use for them, they don't seem to be worth anything, do I just take them to the tip? It seems a shame to just send it all to landfill but I can't find anyone who might be able to recycle them. 

 

The LOROS Spiral Scratch charity shop on Queens Road is worth trying: https://www.loros.co.uk/support-us/shops/loros-shops/view/leicester-spiral-scratch

Easy walking distance from the stadium, if you don't live in Leicester.

 

I haven't been to the shop for about 2 years, but when I last went, they took everything I brought without question - it's a charity shop that specialises in records, CDs & DVDs.

 

p.s. What do I do with old vinyl, CDs & DVDs? I play them!..... Even Older Old Fogey than FoxesDeb Alert! :D

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Where are @Buce, @FIF and @lifted*fox? They can't still be banned surely? 

Lifted in still banned from Gen Chat I think but still posts in the football section and ‘bans’ thread :D

 

Buce was hiking across Australia for a month but I thought he’d be back by now :dunno:

 

No idea about FIF. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/11/2019 at 18:22, Izzy said:

Lifted in still banned from Gen Chat I think but still posts in the football section and ‘bans’ thread :D

 

Buce was hiking across Australia for a month but I thought he’d be back by now :dunno:

 

No idea about FIF. 

I think FIF has been banned again as i noticed an old post of his and his avatar was just an 'F' and no longer showed his usual one :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I think FIF has been banned again as i noticed an old post of his and his avatar was just an 'F' and no longer showed his usual one :( 

Phrases you never hear :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I think FIF has been banned again as i noticed an old post of his and his avatar was just an 'F' and no longer showed his usual one :( 

Doesn't even say when he was last online when you go to his profile, which is does for other posters, so I'm guessing he has been permanently banned.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im in the market for some new glasses as my prescription has changed based on the last eye test. The dr there was trying to tell me about blue light lenses amd benefits seeing as i sit in front of a computer screen all day. Was naturally skeptical and have been reading up on it. Also just read this local article about it

 

 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/marketplace-blue-light-lenses-hidden-camera-investigation-1.5364678

 

I'm a scientific guy so i like to review science and evidence/facts. Not that there is a lot on this but when i spoke to the dr there was no real smoking gun scientific evidence she could give. Perhaps its just a marketing gimmick.

 

Anyone here have them?  If so, have you noticed any difference?  I'm leaning to an absolute firm no at this point. A colleague of mine had and got rid of them

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have the general public cottoned on to the fact that the con that is Black Friday is just that.A huge American imported con?There doesn’t seem to be so much hype this year,despite the advertisers best efforts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Heathrow fox said:

Have the general public cottoned on to the fact that the con that is Black Friday is just that.A huge American imported con?There doesn’t seem to be so much hype this year,despite the advertisers best efforts.

 

Why is it a con? Yeah I guess there's a lot of things that aren't genuine deals like the TVs in Tesco or whatever but there is some great discounts if you already wanted it. Personally get a load of clothes for the next 6 months cos its the only time of the year when Selfridges do 20% off essentially everything, End 20% off everything, Ted Baker 30% off everything, Ralph Lauren 20/30% off everything, that's pretty good for me. Most sales are crap cos its either just unwanted shit or deliberately produced for the sale but I'd say Black Friday is the only one where you can genuinely get good deals for stuff you actually want.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

 

Why is it a con? Yeah I guess there's a lot of things that aren't genuine deals like the TVs in Tesco or whatever but there is some great discounts if you already wanted it. Personally get a load of clothes for the next 6 months cos its the only time of the year when Selfridges do 20% off essentially everything, End 20% off everything, Ted Baker 30% off everything, Ralph Lauren 20/30% off everything, that's pretty good for me. Most sales are crap cos its either just unwanted shit or deliberately produced for the sale but I'd say Black Friday is the only one where you can genuinely get good deals for stuff you actually want.

That’s the Xmas come early event though🍻not Black Friday.Fair enough if it works for you.I agree sales are mostly rubbish clothes wise.Your better off going to TK Max.I just see Black Friday being another desperate attempt,to get people to spend money that they don’t have on crap they don’t need.It just appeared from nowhere 5ish? years ago.Got artificially hyped up but doesn’t seem to be so noticeable this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/11/2019 at 10:30, Crinklyfox said:

Anyone with an expertise in Inheritance Tax?  I believe that the exempt limit is £325,000 after which the taxman grabs 40%.  That's 40% of my savings which I've already paid tax on to bank.  I'd like my children to get what I've earned, not HMRC.  

 

I'm considering blowing the lot to buy a property which I can gift to them.  I believe that I have to live for seven years to avoid inheritance tax if I do and even then if the property appreciates in value HMRC will be after them for Capital Gains Tax.

 

None of this is very palatable but I'm after any strategy that gets my assets to my children.

Give them your bank card and just say withdraw whatever a day.Going through this myself!Mum was told,well not mum but me,she had 24 to 48 hours to live on Sunday and she's still going.Sound's a bit callous but withdraw what you can until at death the bank account is frozen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/11/2019 at 10:16, Facecloth said:

Doesn't even say when he was last online when you go to his profile, which is does for other posters, so I'm guessing he has been permanently banned.

Shame ........ saves me using the ignore button which would be bound to happen at some point ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...