Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hairy

Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't get all the fuss over Bon Iver. Don't get me wrong, Skinny Love is a great tune, but all the rest just sounds like wolf howling to me. To each their own i suppose.

To his credit he has done a lot of nice things for his hometown eau claire, including the above mentioned music festival this summer. He's built a recording studio out here and is working on remodeling a few run down hotels with a local businessman.

As a side point, if you're ever going through Eau Claire and hope to accidentally bump into him, best bet is down at The Joynt. 

I don't get all the fuss over Bon Iver. Don't get me wrong, Skinny Love is a great tune, but all the rest just sounds like wolf howling to me. To each their own i suppose.

To his credit he has done a lot of nice things for his hometown eau claire, including the above mentioned music festival this summer. He's built a recording studio out here and is working on remodeling a few run down hotels with a local businessman.

As a side point, if you're ever going through Eau Claire and hope to accidentally bump into him, best bet is down at The Joynt. 

Wow no way man, listen to re stacks and come back to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow no way man, listen to re stacks and come back to me.

hmm, i just checked it out this morning. Only listened once so i may need to go over it a few times to give it a proper assessment.

Never really seemed to hit the bulls-eye. I think Justin Vernon is a very talented musician, what with his jazz background and all, but I've never heard any great displays of technical ability or progressiveness. So I'm guessing the appeal (of this song, and bon iver in general) must be the folky authenticity, low-fi atmosphere music? 

His vocals are unique. Like Jake Bugg I suppose you either love it or loathe it. 

His lyrics...I guess some people relate to it. But they didn't strike me as having either any great melodic construction, or painting a vivid picture like Dylan, Morrissey, or Cash.

Maybe its appeal is too subtle in a genre too far out of reach for me to fully appreciate. But if you like that sort of stuff, you can hear it every night of the week in coffee shops from the midwest all the way to portland. Beard not required, bring your own fuzzy hat.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29 August 2016 at 17:28, separator said:

Can't make my mind up yet about their new songs yet. Sounds like Justin has been hanging around with Kanye West too much, which is never a good thing. Anyway, he's released a track from his new record today...

I just think they are lame, really tried hard to find a way to find some genius in it - but there really isn't.

It's like trying to enjoy listening to Broken Social Scene or the Postal Service.  It would be nice to be able to just because everyone else insists they're great but really it's hard not to see it as just more pretentious crap from the 'indie' crowd.

• 3 weeks later...

This is so good, usually takes me a little while to adjust to a bands new sounds but not this. Was not a fan of the self titled album for awhile before it becoming one of my favourites. 33 god to 8 circle is absolutely incredible.

Archived