Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
zubi

The Documentary Thread

It is the Leicester DocFilm Festival from 7th-13th November at various venues around Leicester. I started a thread on it but it has slipped off the first page. The full list of films is ready. I can post a link if anyone is interested.

Unfortunately I will be missing some of it. Going up to the Lakes Wednesday as it is my baby sister's 50th birthday.

Wednesday 7th

12noon-4pm Docs On The Square + - The plan is to host documentaries in 4 hours at locations in Town Hall Square and following a route into the Cultural Quarter.

The venues:

Bike Park

Victim Support

Chapel Cafe

Visit Leicester

Coffee Republic

Apex House

Nanoplex Cinema Caravan (outside the Ramada Encore)

Curve

• The Busking Tour (42 mins) Sally Hossack

This filmed tour will take you from the train station around the city centre and then back to the station.

• off you go then! (18 mins 30s)

The documentary is produced by young people from the Saffron Lane Estate, Leicester and celebrates the life, work and achievements of Joe Orton.

Phoenix Square Film & Digital Media Centre

2pm & 3pm BBC documentary showcases - the BBC shop has selected 'classic' BBC documentaries for screening in the BBC College of Journalism training room. These hour long screenings are free to attend.

Venue - BBC Radio Leicester

6pm-8pm Reportage Club - the 2 hour meeting will involve guest talks about independent documentary making and how to create solo projects.

Venue - Cookie Jar (Basement of Crumblin Cookie), High Street

The rest of the week here.

Edited by Nightguard

• 1 month later...

[off you go then! (18 mins 30s)

The documentary is produced by young people from the Saffron Lane Estate, Leicester and celebrates the life, work and achievements of Joe Orton.

I helped make this documentary as well as be in it. Worth a watch think it's on youtube. My acting is terrible though lol I'm the bald fat 1 in it. Not only that I helped edit and shoot it. Was fun

EDIT: Just found it

Edited by theboxman1986
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

undefeated-poster-400.jpg

An excellent documentary about an underdog football team who look to reverse their fortunes with coach Bill Courtney. Courtney is a great find; the kind of man you find it hard to believe exists in real life. The story is almost too ridiculously moving to be true; a perfect, heart-warming drama that never fails to be uplifting. One of the great underdog stories that every sports fan should watch.

• 1 month later...

Really enjoyed that short film Empty.

I've been feeling a little uneasy about scientific authoritarianism for a few years now and that sort of encapsulates my concerns, as most people today understand that religion can be abused but there is less recognition about the possible abuses in the name of science.

I particularly liked the part about Bergson and the paradox of the evolution of the mind .

I might look a bit further into his work although I probably wouldn't understand it .

Really enjoyed that short film Empty.

I've been feeling a little uneasy about scientific authoritarianism for a few years now and that sort of encapsulates my concerns, as most people today understand that religion can be abused but there is less recognition about the possible abuses in the name of science.

I particularly liked the part about Bergson and the paradox of the evolution of the mind .

I might look a bit further into his work although I probably wouldn't understand it .

Nonsense, science has never abused itself to make a manbearpig: http://www.thinkgene.com/scientists-successfully-create-human-bear-pig-chimera/

or not.

Let me offer present to you: A wonderful 1976 documentary about the Oscars. Shot by a San Francisco video collective in the advent of portable video cameras, it offers an interesting insight into the world of celebrities, with little to no pretense.

The technology was pretty much unknown back then and hardly anyone had any sort of inhibitions in front of the camera:

http://gawker.com/5986154/the-best-oscars-documentary-youve-never-seen-behind-the-scenes-with-jack-nicholson-lily-tomlin-and-michael-douglas-at-the-1976-academy-awards/gallery/1

• 3 weeks later...

undefeated-poster-400.jpg

An excellent documentary about an underdog football team who look to reverse their fortunes with coach Bill Courtney. Courtney is a great find; the kind of man you find it hard to believe exists in real life. The story is almost too ridiculously moving to be true; a perfect, heart-warming drama that never fails to be uplifting. One of the great underdog stories that every sports fan should watch.

I genuinely shed a few tears watching this. Proper man.