Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Spurs seem to have a lot of American fans for some reason.

Presume its due to their kit being manufactured by Under Armour and that they had Brad Friedel.

There's a Jewish association isn't there? Yid Army? Possibly a lot of Jewish-Americans dragged in by the fact it's a club with a fairly large Jewish community.

How to come across as a complete twat whilst I presume trying to be original and witty!

Glory hunting yank. I think he misses the point as well that when you glory hunt you're meant to pick someone who wins things.

It's seriously poor though. Do Americans genuinely find shit like that funny? It's the kind of shit I'd laugh at when I was 11 years old.

It's not funny, partly because it's a terrible attempt at doing something like Deadspin's "Your Team Sucks" NFL team previews.

No offence to anyone on the forum from the states but god damn I hate when Americans try to be funny! The guy who wrote that has no idea about England, no idea about football, gets all his info from wiki and has a shocking sense of humour. It's not that I'm a Leicester fan annoyed that someone would rip into us like that but more I'm a comedy fan annoyed that someone managed to get that garbage published on a site.

To be fair, there are a few of our trans antlatic cousins on here. Quite a few Americans are pretty knowledgeable about football.

However, this one is just a nob.

lol i will take your word on that, its like me supporting the Bulls in the 90s because Michael Jordan was on fire. I guess you could compare Messi to MJ

• Like 1

Nothing like an attempt at humour from an American writer to stoke up the classic American stereotypes from English fans when they talk about football.

Check out the Guardians resident snob Barney Ronay if you want to get your fill of a patronising article of PL football in America. Otherwise take this for what it is and remember:

A) the knowledge of American soccer fans will largely be excellent

B) there really is nothing wrong with the word soccer

A fair bit of anti-American snobbery in this thread over the last page or so.

The article was unfunny.

The author seems ill-informed and based some of his jokes on the premise "doesn't [insert foreign name] sound weird, huh?".

In mocking America, some of us are doing something similar.

• Like 2

I'm friends with 2 Spurs fans and neither know anything about football. I had to even explain to one who Harry Kane was when we took him on loan

What is it with Spurs supporters? I've encountered similar and earlier in the year was working with a bloke who it turned out had never heard of Dave Mackay upon being told he'd passed away. They also seem to regard Lineker as their own, which irks me.

What is it with Spurs supporters? I've encountered similar and earlier in the year was working with a bloke who it turned out had never heard of Dave Mackay upon being told he'd passed away. They also seem to regard Lineker as their own, which irks me.

These people have chosen to support Spurs, you can't expect any level of intelligence with decision making like that.

• Like 1

These people have chosen to support Spurs, you can't expect any level of intelligence with decision making like that.

Living 'darn sarf', all the Spurs fans I come into contact with know plenty about their history and football in general. if you live up north and support Spurs then ........................

It is an article written by an spurs fan from the states, aimed at other spurs fans in the states to give them a humorous take on Spurs opposition whilst also providing a bit of context about their opposition which living in the states they most likely won't know. It is old hat to us but to foreign Spurs fans who know nothing about our club will probably get a kick out of it.

What I'm saying is it is not meant for us, so don't bother reading it, don't bother posting it multiple times in various threads, don't waste your time getting offended, stop being so sensitive and enjoy the game.

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 2