Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

The thing with joining Rangers is that it wouldn't be as ambitious a move as their fans make out.

Champions League? Yes, for a maximum of six games a season. Realistically, they'll be well out by the end of the group stage and if they finish fourth, out of Europe altogether. After that, it's the SPL for him which is no better in terms of standard; the Old Firm, Hearts and Dundee United at a push, than the Championship. You could also argue it's no better a place to put yourself on the market place than the Championship as well if you fancy using it as a stepping stone to a big Premiership club. I'd argue more players make the step up from Championship to Premiership than south of the border from SPL to EPL.

We also have ambition as a club. You look at what Fulham have achieved, not a club that's any bigger than us, and wonder why we can't emulate or even better their achievements? Regular Premiership football, a Europa League final and a good squad. So by the end of a three year contract, Danns could well be playing for a solid Premiership club whereas Rangers will be exactly what they are now, part of a duopoly that's too good for Scottish football but no real hope of progression in Europe.

Very true. Like some of the other clubs featured here, we're not as big or significant as many of us fans think we are - Leicester will always be most important to us and other fans have the same views on their team. But the prospects in most ambitious Championship clubs, while something of a gamble, are still pretty good. You can look at not just Fulham as an example, but Bolton, Wigan, Stoke and several others. All the top Championship clubs would have comparable (or better) crowds, stadia and setup as those teams, so no reason why anyone going up from our league should think they will be one-season wonders.

Even if they were, surely a couple of seasons in the Championship followed by a year playing against the Man Utds, Chelseas, Arsenals, Liverpools, Tottenhams, Man Citys etc would be a better career move than three years of strolling the league (for the most part) and getting massive abuse for dropping just a few points if you're playing for either Rangers or Celtic. How satisfying is it to know that you've an 80% + chance of winning every week? I'm not even going to mention the rest beyond the top two. Fair enough, the Old Firm have great stadia, history and passion but also anything less than at least one trophy per season is a failure.

I just read that Steve Mclaren is appointing none other than Rob Kelly as his assistant manager.. Is it just me that finds this hilarious? They're gonna be proper crap this season :-P

Wonder what the florist forums will make of it...

• Like 1

I just read that Steve Mclaren is appointing none other than Rob Kelly as his assistant manager.. Is it just me that finds this hilarious? They're gonna be proper crap this season :-P

They'll be glad to see a redoubling of efforts on the training ground from a smashing bunch of lads I'd imagine

That thread would be here and it's as first team coach not Ass manager (snigger).....unless we fail in our frankly bizarre bid to bring Calderwood back.

What's going on with Leeds these days?!

I preferred it when they were angry

Think the realisation that Captain Birdseye is bending them over and knocking their backdoors in has turned them all soft!

Used to be tinpot this, tinpot that! Dont you know we're LEEDS!

Do find it slightly strange that no foreign investors have never gone in for them.

Rangers fans doing their nut over this, calling us a 'Pishy Wee Team'....

I joined their forum and posted this in honour of Itstoejoeker's post in the Danns thread.

Rangers Fans. Danns said this....

'I actually sent Ally McCoist (Rangers manager) a text to thank him for the offer of playing at Rangers and possibly playing in the Champions League. I said I still have ambitions I want to achieve in England and getting into the Premier League is one of those. He understood that and, while it would have been amazing to play in the Champions League, I still feel I have unfinished business in England.....'

You lot got dumped by text. FAIL Rangers.

Rangers fans doing their nut over this, calling us a 'Pishy Wee Team'....

I joined their forum and posted this in honour of Itstoejoeker's post in the Danns thread.

Rangers Fans. Danns said this....

'I actually sent Ally McCoist (Rangers manager) a text to thank him for the offer of playing at Rangers and possibly playing in the Champions League. I said I still have ambitions I want to achieve in England and getting into the Premier League is one of those. He understood that and, while it would have been amazing to play in the Champions League, I still feel I have unfinished business in England.....'

You lot got dumped by text. FAIL Rangers.

Credit to the author ;)

Much love!

And who do you go for then champ?

Anyone but, could be the Rams, Forest, or Sky Blues. I am just a fan of a team that has a forum hounded by one of your fans, so saw fit to repay the compliment, with some friendly banter.

See you moved as far away as possible, good move champ.

Edited by Gimme Six

Anyone but, could be the Rams, Forest, or Sky Blues. I am just a fan of a team that has a forum hounded by one of your fans, so saw fit to repay the compliment, with some friendly banter.

So posting crap on your own forum wasn't enough

Born and breed Aussie so no need to move away.

Edited by SOCCERROO FOX

Cov fan then.

• Like 2

Leeds & Millwall being the best

Absolutely insane, what's going on in the world of football. Bloody Leeds and Millwall forums full of sensible and complimentary posts. I might have to start liking them a bit more (I did say might, I probably won't).

Bristol City win the award for the biggest bunch of deluded ass clowns. Can't wait for Maynard to walk out on a free next summer and them get some 200k league one striker to replace him.

• Like 2

Absolutely insane, what's going on in the world of football. Bloody Leeds and Millwall forums full of sensible and complimentary posts. I might have to start liking them a bit more (I did say might, I probably won't).

Bristol City win the award for the biggest bunch of deluded ass clowns. Can't wait for Maynard to walk out on a free next summer and them get some 200k league one striker to replace him.

Reading earlier one post said 'I'm sure Maynard will stay because he'll see we're bringing quality players like Neil Kilkenny to the club!'

:crylaugh:

Unbelievable Jeff!

Much as the reaction to us spending all this money is clearly down to jealously and biterness, I have to agree with one recurring statement coming from other clubs we could well flop, signings we have made so far are ok but they are hardly promotion sealers.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

Much as the reaction to us spending all this money is clearly down to jealously and biterness, I have to agree with one recurring statement coming from other clubs we could well flop, signings we have made so far are ok but they are hardly promotion sealers.

To be fair, we've only signed three players so far (which is still much more than the Championship competition per average, mind you).

Too early to tell, but I think we're going for quality players that are affordable in order to strengthen our depth in squad - last season's dip showed.

Edited by MC Prussian

I have to agree with one recurring statement coming from other clubs we could well flop

I haven't seen anyone with the opinion promotion is nailed on, far from it really. The way they are talking you'd think we were all celebrating promotion already.

That thread would be here and it's as first team coach not Ass manager (snigger).....unless we fail in our frankly bizarre bid to bring Calderwood back.

Mclaren as manager & Rob Kelly or Calderwood as ass. man, is your chairman determined to turn you into as big a laughing stock as is possible?

I haven't seen anyone with the opinion promotion is nailed on, far from it really. The way they are talking you'd think we were all celebrating promotion already.

Don't we do that every summer? And usually with far less grounds for optimism than this one

Don't we do that every summer? And usually with far less grounds for optimism than this one

Yep.

"If we get off to a good start we'll do well", before losing our first game and it all falls apart.