Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wellyfox

TO THE MODS

I do take the point about semi-literate kids writing idiotic posts in impenetrable txt spk, I really do. TPH's post about two people essentially making the same basic point about Heskey being a potentially good signing summed it up well. I'd definitely take a great deal more notice of the first and most probably cringe with embarrassment that I support the same team as the kid who wrote the second.

If however the first post was made not in text speak but in slightly imperfect grammatically English (I.e. Mixing up your and you're, missing punctuation marks etc) I would personally find it rather cheap to go through the post correcting it just because a poster doesn't agree. Text speak is lazy and often the mark of a moron, that's why it is explicitly banned, but I'm not sure that goes for substandard grammar which could just as easily be symptomatic of dyslexia as a mark of carelessness.

Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive as a dyspraxic myself though. Either that or disgustingly PC or inclusive as a Guardianista. :P

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=74472&pid=1915682&st=0entry1915682

I take it there is another thread for Squad Numbers not just the one above...... Linkage, I'm interested to see what you mean?

Looks like it has been removed.

someone picked up on spelling players names incorectly.

Somebody else came on and said whats it matter and i hate Fvkers like you.

I will check incase i got the wrong thread.

Surely, the value of a post is in the information or opinion provided.

Im afraid anyone who is so obsessive about spelling and grammar that they feel they need to correct others, needs to look at themselves.

it is a simple fact that English (and all languages) are evolving. We no longer use "thee" or "Thou" and a gazillion other words in current english, but to have written without them 400 years ago would have seen you branded as...

Thou sanctimonious doghearted fustilarian!

A soulless weather-bitten pumpion!

etc etc.

Valuing, Countering or dismissing an argument based on spelling or gramatical correctness more shows you for the fool and to be honest, if the only thing you see when reading a topic is the literary skills... you need to review your comprehension skills.

Dear Mods

I am not the longest member on the site and enjoy most of what is posted.

banter is great i have no problem infact i do love banter.

However one thing i do find offensive is the people on here that pick up others on their grammer.

Had i wanted to read this tripe i would go on a mensa site.

My grammer is not that great does that make me thick or a bad person.

Also people have been on other sites (BCFC) to name one, came back on here and ridiculed members of that and other sites for their grammer.

Why should i and others have to come on here because we are not accademic and put up with this as members of a site for my beloved LCFC.

Also how good does this site look to anyone that visits it from another club and people on here are taking the piss out of other sites because someone can't spell or put a full stop in the wrong place.

Like i say banter is one thing taking the piss out of some one who struggles at some thing is not fun.

I myself suffered this abuse on this site a few years ago under the nick of barnsley fox (insert comma) and for a period left the site.

My question to you is should i suffer this and should others ?????????????????????????????????

The reason i have put this here is so everyone can see how I and praps many others who would like to join in feel.

So all you piss takers feel free to rip me.

Well if you ever say "I" it must be in a capital letter.

I understand what your saying, but I think your being a bit over the top.

As a professional proofreader, let me assure you that I could point out a number of errors in this diatribe, should I wish.

Show a bit more tolerance, mate - pedantry on a football forum just isn't cool.

I did say perfection is not required, Bruce. To be fair. And I do a bit of proof reading myself at times for a few quid, but I dont deem it necessary to apply that to a football forum post, however, reasonable effort in spelling and construction, yes.

Funny, you preach tolerance in the same post you dismiss my opinion as a diatribe because it doesnt suit your viewpoint.

I'd be more concerned about all the duplicate threads and mindless trolling than someone's lack of grammatical accuracy etc.

I have to agree with the former in particular. There are far too many duplicate threads being created that really detract from the arguments in hand.

In fairness to the mods on the second point, trolls are despatched fairly quickly on the whole. Look at choose a username last night who said our main derby would be Northampton Town in a couple of years time. Complete moron with nothing interesting to say, thread deleted and troll banned. Same has happened with some of the Brizzle fans who came on purely to tell us how deluded and tinpot we were.

There are far too many duplicate threads being created that really detract from the arguments in hand.

There have been a few recently, yes, but I can't see this going to stop with especially new members (for example) joining in and creating a thread about a player and not looking down the particular forum to see if the thread is already there. (I hope you get me here)

It's a pain in the backside but it's just a consistent problem which will happen now and again.

There have been a few recently, yes, but I can't see this going to stop with especially new members (for example) joining in and creating a thread about a player and not looking down the particular forum to see if the thread is already there. (I hope you get me here)

It's a pain in the backside but it's just a consistent problem which will happen now and again.

The only thing the mods can do for that is to move or merge the thread. Unfortunately there aren't quite as many of them as there used to be, so some slip through the net, especially considering the fact that this forum is growing in numbers.

I did say perfection is not required, Bruce. To be fair. And I do a bit of proof reading myself at times for a few quid, but I dont deem it necessary to apply that to a football forum post, however, reasonable effort in spelling and construction, yes.

Funny, you preach tolerance in the same post you dismiss my opinion as a diatribe because it doesnt suit your viewpoint.

I chose my words very carefully; the fact that I described your post as 'a diatribe' is not indicative of whether or nor I share your viewpoint, merely an accurate description of its substance. Or are you aware of some other definition of the word with which I'm unfamiliar?

If you are going to set yourself up as an arbiter of correct grammar, then you shouldn't complain when people judge you by those same exacting standards.

And my name is 'Buce' .

I think there is only one way of settling this - Buce claims to be a professional proof-reader, promote him to mod and have him go round correcting grammatical errors & spelling mistakes.

I think there are better candidates.

I chose my words very carefully; the fact that I described your post as 'a diatribe' is not indicative of whether or nor I share your viewpoint, merely an accurate description of its substance. Or are you aware of some other definition of the word with which I'm unfamiliar?

If you are going to set yourself up as an arbiter of correct grammar, then you shouldn't complain when people judge you by those same exacting standards.

And my name is 'Buce' .

As did I Bruce, I never said anything about sharing my viewpoint, I said my contribution was dismissed as a diatribe because it didnt suit yours. Also, where have I set myself up as arbiter of grammar? I expressed a preference for well written posts, that was all.

Wading in with this 'Im a proof reader' has made you look a bit of a ....

And for all your supposed perfection, I see you have been at the Edit button.

Wading in with this 'Im a proof reader' has made you look a bit of a ....

Whereas this...

I do a bit of proof reading myself at times for a few quid,

.....in a post riddled with schoolboy errors, makes you look like... what, a liar?

And for all your supposed perfection....

Perhaps you would point me to the post where I expressed this?

.......I see you have been at the Edit button.

To add the last line, "And my name is Buce", something you still seem unable to grasp; evidently, your reading comprehension is as poor as your grammar.

Whereas this...

.....in a post riddled with schoolboy errors, makes you look like... what, a liar?

To add the last line, "And my name is Buce", something you still seem unable to grasp; evidently, your reading comprehension is as poor as your grammar.

FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT :chant::ph34r:

Well i had hoped that we would get an official comment on this and a guide line.

I thank everyone for your thoughts and comments (good and bad)

I also hope that this has changed a few Attitudes towards those that are not perfect (myself included)

More comments would be good but a guide line from the site admin would be great.

Whereas this...

Look Bruce,

The liar part holds no water, I have said previously, perfection not required on a football forum, just reasonably legible efforts. You seem keen to revisit that point over and over, in a misinformed manner, despite my being clear from my original post on the matter. Why are you doing that?

And anyone who announces themselves the way you did as Mr Proof Reader, or was it Professional Proof Reader ? In a nit picky 'I could tear your post apart if I wanted' fashion, well, dont expect that to lead to a quiet life.

You are coming off as a real ....... here buddy. And I seem to have gotten under your skin a bit, which delights me.

wellyfox !! Look at what you have done, look at your handy work, are you proud of this? Is this what you wanted? Tell me?

Archived