Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AjcW

Adverts

Well this should be an interesting one as I work in advertising!

Big fan of the current Wieden + Kennedy Honda ads: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8VlX4Ekk80

Ads have to make people feel something if they're to engage, because people nowadays don't entertain the notion that they're being sold something. Nobody would like to admit that they are influenced by advertising. So it has become less about selling and more about relating, immersing, and standing out.

The Honda ads work in such a disruptive way that is unlike anything else in the sector that I think it is bloody fantastic, not to mention memorable. All whilst making the watcher feel engaged and motivated. Ticks every box from an advertising geek's point of view! 

banksyfuckthat.jpg

All very liberating and artistic but the reality is that without advertising, you don't have the opportunity to add meaning and value to brands, rendering them pointless.

Without brands, you would be (and people were, before the war) living in a world ruled by commoditisation. With nothing to distinguish between similar options, price wins out. When price wins, companies turn their attentions to being able to offer the cheapest products in the market. That means focusing on margin, which means compromising on quality in order to generate the most profit.

So actually the advent of increased advertising and branding activity has driven an improvement in the quality of the goods and services we use and take for granted every day of our lives. Nobody likes to feel like they are being sold something, but the fact is that without the branding exercises that have evolved to cultivate our capitalist eco-system throughout the years, we wouldn't be engaging in this online conversation on our branded, super-high-speed broadband enabled devices. NPD would not exist without the notion of added value. Without NPD? You guessed it, no innovation and the status-quo remains. Some people are all for that and revel in traditionalism. I for one, love technological advances too much to feel ethically concious about my role in advertising. I love watching Sky Sports in HD. I love playing Fifa. Hell, I even like posting drawn out rants nobody has the slightest bit of interest in on football forums. 

You get the picture. I get the point in the Banksy piece. Nobody likes 'the man', or big corporations, but I'm afraid that's just a side-effect you have to take on the chin if you're happy being a part of an advancing capitalist society that promotes consumerism. I'll resist entering a debate surrounding my views on those that promote anti-consumerism, preferring instead to assume that the majority of football fans are happy they can watch MOTD in high definition on their TV's, or on repeat on their mobiles whilst on the train to Sunday's game.

As you were..

All very liberating and artistic but the reality is that without advertising, you don't have the opportunity to add meaning and value to brands, rendering them pointless.

Without brands, you would be (and people were, before the war) living in a world ruled by commoditisation. With nothing to distinguish between similar options, price wins out. When price wins, companies turn their attentions to being able to offer the cheapest products in the market. That means focusing on margin, which means compromising on quality in order to generate the most profit.

So actually the advent of increased advertising and branding activity has driven an improvement in the quality of the goods and services we use and take for granted every day of our lives. Nobody likes to feel like they are being sold something, but the fact is that without the branding exercises that have evolved to cultivate our capitalist eco-system throughout the years, we wouldn't be engaging in this online conversation on our branded, super-high-speed broadband enabled devices. NPD would not exist without the notion of added value. Without NPD? You guessed it, no innovation and the status-quo remains. Some people are all for that and revel in traditionalism. I for one, love technological advances too much to feel ethically concious about my role in advertising. I love watching Sky Sports in HD. I love playing Fifa. Hell, I even like posting drawn out rants nobody has the slightest bit of interest in on football forums. 

You get the picture. I get the point in the Banksy piece. Nobody likes 'the man', or big corporations, but I'm afraid that's just a side-effect you have to take on the chin if you're happy being a part of an advancing capitalist society that promotes consumerism. I'll resist entering a debate surrounding my views on those that promote anti-consumerism, preferring instead to assume that the majority of football fans are happy they can watch MOTD in high definition on their TV's, or on repeat on their mobiles whilst on the train to Sunday's game.

As you were..

Nicely put, i also work in advertising and have to take a different position on it..

You specifically mention "brands" and they are what has/is fvcking society over.

There was a time that a brand was the mark of what some one produced, Levis for example. You bought Levis because you know what you were getting, they were made in the Levis factory, to the Levis standard by the Levis trained staff. with the approved levis materials...And when you put your Levis on the next day you were happy with them because they fit as they were supposed to, the material was hard wearing, the style was what you expected.

THEN... Levis (Nike, Adidas, Apple, etc etc etc) in the early 80s realised that they were no longer manufacturers, they were BRANDS, they closed down their factories and went to China, Bangladesh or the Phillipines etc and said.. "Make these for me (as cheaply as possible)" and they did and they reduced the quality of material to the lowest that the "brand" would accept, they accepted greater variations on sizing or fit, or style. 

This applies for almost all branded products, they are no longer manufacturers, they are importers/resellers who spend more on marketing, than producing their products.

Advertising is of course not solely to blame, but they are very big players in this fvcking over of the world.

Someone mentioned the current ad by Wieden+Kennedy, as many people know, Wieden was responsible for "Just do it", NIke to things to a whole new level with that and Jordan which changed Nike from sportswear manufacturer...to a .... brand seller.

The reason why the "cheap football shirts" thread was so popular and the quality of the "knockoffs" was so high, was that they are the same products being produced in the same factories in poverty stricken countries... BUT, they are being sold at cost plus a profit... and do not include the marketing costs that Nike/Adidas et al pay.

Its a bit dated now but...A great read for anyone interested...

dvd_jacket_115.jpg

Nicely put, i also work in advertising and have to take a different position on it..

You specifically mention "brands" and they are what has/is fvcking society over.

There was a time that a brand was the mark of what some one produced, Levis for example. You bought Levis because you know what you were getting, they were made in the Levis factory, to the Levis standard by the Levis trained staff. with the approved levis materials...And when you put your Levis on the next day you were happy with them because they fit as they were supposed to, the material was hard wearing, the style was what you expected.

THEN... Levis (Nike, Adidas, Apple, etc etc etc) in the early 80s realised that they were no longer manufacturers, they were BRANDS, they closed down their factories and went to China, Bangladesh or the Phillipines etc and said.. "Make these for me (as cheaply as possible)" and they did and they reduced the quality of material to the lowest that the "brand" would accept, they accepted greater variations on sizing or fit, or style. 

This applies for almost all branded products, they are no longer manufacturers, they are importers/resellers who spend more on marketing, than producing their products.

Advertising is of course not solely to blame, but they are very big players in this fvcking over of the world.

Someone mentioned the current ad by Wieden+Kennedy, as many people know, Wieden was responsible for "Just do it", NIke to things to a whole new level with that and Jordan which changed Nike from sportswear manufacturer...to a .... brand seller.

The reason why the "cheap football shirts" thread was so popular and the quality of the "knockoffs" was so high, was that they are the same products being produced in the same factories in poverty stricken countries... BUT, they are being sold at cost plus a profit... and do not include the marketing costs that Nike/Adidas et al pay.

Its a bit dated now but...A great read for anyone interested...

dvd_jacket_115.jpg

You'd have to say you have a point there, although I'm not sure how much this applies away from the fashion industry!

You can appreciate why things moved away from brands as manufactures, though. The rise in quality options, ironically enough resulted in a risk of trading commodities. As the number of quality options increased, it became easier for consumers to switch between brands. It became less about selling quality jeans (image below), and more about selling the jeans 'the west grew up in'. In a world full of quality options, companies have to differentiate somehow to avoid price wars, hence the trend for marketing spend increasing. Gillette moved from offering a close shave, to offering the best a man can get etc etc. 

It was me that mentioned Wieden. Love their work.

4132732432_c7e8f230fd_b.jpg

Finding that Barclays advert with Alan Shearer that's on at the minute quite annoying, it's on every advert break there is.

"I was the metro driver that day, noisy lot, but the best fans in the land"

"Best pie's in the North East"

"Coulda been me that lifted him"...."Coulda been me!"

Dunno what it is about it, just finding it quite annoying lol

Finding that Barclays advert with Alan Shearer that's on at the minute quite annoying, it's on every advert break there is.

"I was the metro driver that day, noisy lot, but the best fans in the land"

"Best pie's in the North East"

"Coulda been me that lifted him"...."Coulda been me!"

Dunno what it is about it, just finding it quite annoying lol

I agree, if by "quite annoying" you mean "makes me want to take bodies"

One of my faves was the "We've got Tony Cascariiiii-no" thing on Talksport to the tune of "We Don't Need Another Hero" by the heavily hairsprayed Tina Turner.

It's probably a jingle, but I always considered it a Tony Cascarino advert.

****ing hate this advert. Clearly the answer to how the singing lessons went should be "Not well, not well at all."

http://youtu.be/mVr45YMabOs

Not only is the advert totally irrelevant but the singing by both people is awful, they don't look related, the song isn't in her key at all (and isn't even a tricky song to sing) - looks like the advertising agency was sat round a table all morning, then the first person to pipe up with an idea was given the go ahead. He then said "my niece could play the daughter, she likes to sing" then someone else at the table offered to play the dad. C**ts.

****ing hate this advert. Clearly the answer to how the singing lessons went should be "Not well, not well at all."

http://youtu.be/mVr45YMabOs

The first time I saw this ad I thought, it's insurance, this cringey moment is going to be ruined by the Dad's careless driving, or by another driver. Sadly neither happens, the 'touching moment' is contrite and ****ing awful, and whilst I can understand insurance is difficult to sell, that ad is truly dreadful.

That hellmans mustard one is really getting on my tits at the moment its so bloody cheesy. Also, why is everything now owned by Glaxo and Unilever?

Heres another advert

Too much mustard gets up your nose.

Archived