Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AjcW

Adverts

11 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

McDonalds go full Brasseye

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39921804

I saw that as the other day and just shouted fvck off at the Tv. What utter shitcvnt thought that child bereavement and nutritionless plastic disposable food had a certain synergy.

The only way to redeem the ad would have been to end the advert by cutting to the kid a few years later obese and stuffing his face with fillet o fish, crying and through the tears and crumbs manages to spray the words "I'll see you soon Dad" before collapsing into a fried fish induced coma.

It's one of those things where, regardless of the fact that whoever came up with the idea has taken leave of their senses, you'd have thought there would be enough people involved in its production for someone to stick their hand up and say, 'hang on, are you sure about this', but somehow nobody speaks up and then it's there for all to see.

A bit like The Phantom Menace

27 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I saw that as the other day and just shouted fvck off at the Tv. What utter shitcvnt thought that child bereavement and nutritionless plastic disposable food had a certain synergy.

The only way to redeem the ad would have been to end the advert by cutting to the kid a few years later obese and stuffing his face with fillet o fish, crying and through the tears and crumbs manages to spray the words "I'll see you soon Dad" before collapsing into a fried fish induced coma.

lol shouldn't laugh but this post made me piss

10 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It's one of those things where, regardless of the fact that whoever came up with the idea has taken leave of their senses, you'd have thought there would be enough people involved in its production for someone to stick their hand up and say, 'hang on, are you sure about this', but somehow nobody speaks up and then it's there for all to see.

A bit like The Phantom Menace

A clear example of "groupthink".

"Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon that occurs within a group of people in which the desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an irrational or dysfunctional decision-making outcome. Group members try to minimize conflict and reach a consensus decision without critical evaluation of alternative viewpoints by actively suppressing dissenting viewpoints, and by isolating themselves from outside influences."

It happens so often, especially in creative industries, you can guarantee that everyone working on a McDonalds advert has aspirations of doing something better, with a higher purpose, or with more artistic merit and they got carried creating their homage to Mike Leigh - credit where it is due, it was well shot, well acted, well directed, almost subtle and understated in the adolescent's struggles to find a connection to a dad he never knew. It could almost have been heartfelt and sensitive if it wasn't flogging a fvcking fillet o fish, the most ridiculously named of McDonalds oeuvre. I mean who even buys them?

23 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

McDonalds go full Brasseye

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39921804

Tania Richman, 44 from Brighton, East Sussex, said her teenage children, whose father died last year, were also "upset and offended" by the advert.

She said: "I didn't know how to handle them afterwards."

Leah Miller, 42 from London raised concerns about the lack of support advice offered after the advert.

"What are children supposed to think after watching it? That a simple meal can solve their emotional pain?

"It's irresponsible not to include any support advice or information for families affected by this issue."

The Advertising Standards Authority said it had received complaints regarding the advert, and would "carefully assess them to see whether there are grounds to investigate".

So what? why does everyone need to get offended at everything, its a bad advert for sure, but when did everyone get so touchy feely and need support and counciling for everything?

Why not get offended and kick up a fuss about the utter shit they sell that''s been poisoning kids and teenagers since it first opened it doors?

1 hour ago, Beliall said:

Tania Richman, 44 from Brighton, East Sussex, said her teenage children, whose father died last year, were also "upset and offended" by the advert.

She said: "I didn't know how to handle them afterwards."

Leah Miller, 42 from London raised concerns about the lack of support advice offered after the advert.

"What are children supposed to think after watching it? That a simple meal can solve their emotional pain?

"It's irresponsible not to include any support advice or information for families affected by this issue."

The Advertising Standards Authority said it had received complaints regarding the advert, and would "carefully assess them to see whether there are grounds to investigate".

So what? why does everyone need to get offended at everything, its a bad advert for sure, but when did everyone get so touchy feely and need support and counciling for everything?

Why not get offended and kick up a fuss about the utter shit they sell that''s been poisoning kids and teenagers since it first opened it doors?

I don't think everyone's offended, but I expect bereaved children will be upset and confused as to why a situation mirroring their own is being used to promote fast food.

Also, I don't think everyone needs support and counselling, but I would hazard a guess that bereaved children would be a group more in need of it than most.

And in answer to the Captain's very valid question:  my wife, so I literally get to say, "fillet o'fish for my...." oh never mind

17 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I don't think everyone's offended, but I expect bereaved children will be upset and confused as to why a situation mirroring their own is being used to promote fast food.

Also, I don't think everyone needs support and counselling, but I would hazard a guess that bereaved children would be a group more in need of it than most.

And in answer to the Captain's very valid question:  my wife, so I literally get to say, "fillet o'fish for my...." oh never mind

I can't hear fillet o fish without thinking of this from Jack Dee, it had me in stitches as a young lad:

In the same way I can't say "the carphone warehouse" without doing it in Stewart Lee's voice:

35 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I can't hear fillet o fish without thinking of this from Jack Dee, it had me in stitches as a young lad:

In the same way I can't say "the carphone warehouse" without doing it in Stewart Lee's voice:

Didn't even have to watch the video and I'm already hearing Jack Dee's voice saying Fillet O Fish lol 

Interesting/deliberately contrary piece from the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/17/mcdonalds-child-grief-advert-bereavement

Claiming that the outrage is classism is a bit far, I don't think it is classism, just consumer placement. Bereavement has been covered in a number of adverts, charities and life insurance spring to mind, some of the life insurance adverts are particularly crass, but it is a product that deals directly with death. Likewise the brand she mentions, John Lewis is respected enough by consumers to give it the benefit of the doubt over sensitive issues, McDonald's isn't and people doing their adverts should know that.

Also asking us to imagine an advert by John Lewis isn't the same as McDonald's actually doing one.

4 hours ago, Captain... said:

A clear example of "groupthink".

"Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon that occurs within a group of people in which the desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an irrational or dysfunctional decision-making outcome. Group members try to minimize conflict and reach a consensus decision without critical evaluation of alternative viewpoints by actively suppressing dissenting viewpoints, and by isolating themselves from outside influences."

It happens so often, especially in creative industries, you can guarantee that everyone working on a McDonalds advert has aspirations of doing something better, with a higher purpose, or with more artistic merit and they got carried creating their homage to Mike Leigh - credit where it is due, it was well shot, well acted, well directed, almost subtle and understated in the adolescent's struggles to find a connection to a dad he never knew. It could almost have been heartfelt and sensitive if it wasn't flogging a fvcking fillet o fish, the most ridiculously named of McDonalds oeuvre. I mean who even buys them?

Alternatively named "Ar$e Licking"

Popular creative has idea, boss loves popular creative so says its great...plebs fall into line.

54 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Interesting/deliberately contrary piece from the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/17/mcdonalds-child-grief-advert-bereavement

Claiming that the outrage is classism is a bit far, I don't think it is classism, just consumer placement. Bereavement has been covered in a number of adverts, charities and life insurance spring to mind, some of the life insurance adverts are particularly crass, but it is a product that deals directly with death. Likewise the brand she mentions, John Lewis is respected enough by consumers to give it the benefit of the doubt over sensitive issues, McDonald's isn't and people doing their adverts should know that.

Also asking us to imagine an advert by John Lewis isn't the same as McDonald's actually doing one.

I'm on this side of the fence in this debate ... seen the advert quite a few times before the 'outrage' and was quite suprised.

The idea of trying to find things you have in common with parents is universal and shared eating habits is certainly one of those things we will all remember. Additionally, you can tell the advert's been produced in a sensitive way, it's not in any way attempting to be crass. I also think the article is quite correct that who the advertiser is a bigger factor in the complaints than the add itself.

To me, there is a danger that those who can shout loudest are changing things, rather than issues like this being judged on its merits, In this situation, there is nothing to be gained by vigorously defending the advert, so it gets withdrawn, regardless of the merits of the argument.

Yes you may be 'offended' by the advert, but do we also need to judge in cases whether there's a reasonable right to be offended and does this occasion not reduce that threshold further?

Archived