Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

80s Classics

21 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Especially for Alf(and Gaelic Fox if he reads this thread) to remind them of the old country.

Thanks for the thought, Webbo, even though I was English born and bred (most of my family are Paddies). My Dad has been known to sing that one, among many similar.

This is more my cup of tea, though....

Edited by Alf Bentley
error
  • Like 4

On 25 July 2016 at 16:55, Webbo said:

Especially for Alf(and Gaelic Fox if he reads this thread) to remind them of the old country.

My aunt was a backing singer for the fureys and knew them all well , they came to our pub a few times in 80's 

sorry for the late reply but a mod banned me for a week for using the word "tosspot" , but me and him know the real reason ! Stinks 

On 25 July 2016 at 17:13, Alf Bentley said:

Thanks for the thought, Webbo, even though I was English born and bred (most of my family are Paddies). My Dad has been known to sing that one, among many similar.

This is more my cup of tea, though....

Love the dubliners 

but christy is my fav ! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Now, Buce, you've gone and reminded me of this one....

(Technically 1970s, but a logical follow-in):

Ah, fond memories, Alf.

I've played little else but Squeeze since pSinatra posted Another Nail.

Edited by Buce

11 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

:D

Each to their own Bucey !   :)

I have a certain amount of sentimental attachment to it, CF, so I'm probably biased.

I was casually acquainted with Chris and Glenn and I saw them perform an impromptu acoustic version at one of my late brother's parties. It was a brilliant evening and one of the last times I saw him alive.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Buce said:

I have a certain amount of sentimental attachment to it, CF, so I'm probably biased.

I was casually acquainted with Chris and Glenn and I saw them perform an impromptu acoustic version at one of my late brother's parties. It was a brilliant evening and one of the last times I saw him alive.

I think it's a great track even without having such deep, personal associations, which must make it even more powerful.

In their heyday, few could match Squeeze for songs about human life "in the raw". Many of their songs are very funny and/or entertaining, but the substance of the stories told in the songs is often viscerally painful, when you stop and think about it.

• Like 1