Jump to content
GLC

Game of Thrones - hide spoilers please.

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, The Bear said:

That was fantastic IMO. Probably my favourite episode for a good long while, and showdowns I've been looking forward to all season. 

Baffling that some people didn't like it. I do agree with the "speed" of Dany going bonkers though. But it has been on the cards for a while now. She's always had it in her.

TBH, think of the amount of lives that could've been saved if she had actually had it in her during that episode. 

 

The population of King's Landing could've been spared if Jon had just done what any of us in this thread would've done - and shagged his own auntie.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Surely all lined up for Starks vs Daenerys lot in the final episode? 

 

A bad GoT season is still better than the best season of most other shows. Still enjoying it with a feeling of what might have been with the disappointing development of certain subplots.

It's not even bad, it's just so over analysed now because of the hype and popularity surrounding it that people are waiting to criticize it due to the high previous standards.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

 

I completely agree.  

 

The series has degenerated into a CGI infested mess in comparison with its earlier seasons.

 

Either people are blinkered to it and accept it for what it is or take great annoyance in what it has become.

 

I fall into the second half.

 

The writers are to blame - Weiss and Benioff.  Further delving into those two shows they've penned in a further "original trilogy" to the Star Wars franchise and are writing that.  God help us.  Johnson has half wrecked it, these two will demolish it.  Dracarys.  lol

 

It's been a bit of a mess, but I think a lot of it is down to how few episodes there have been to resolve so many characters. Hopefully with the clear slate and planning they've got for star wars it won't be the mad rush this has been to serve out each persons purpose. Honestly they should have killed more off in the first battle, or just let a few slide. Why did Euron have to fight Jamie, just let him die on the bloody boat and use the time better somewhere else, you could say the same about so many other scenes, the whole Arya thing seemed a waste of time. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's face it, it's incredibly difficult, nigh on impossible, to do satisfactory endings to things that have been beloved and built up to epic proportions.

 

I always remember thinking the ending to Peep Show (Not that it was fantasy epic) was really disappointing. Then when I think of Lord of the Rings they did the Mt Doom bit reasonably well (although the Eagles turning up was problematic - a good comparison to make with GoT actually) but the Black Gate bit was weird and a bit silly, then of course it dragged on for ages after the climax tying it all up.

Edited by ealingfox
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Let's face it, it's incredibly difficult, nigh on impossible, to do satisfactory endings to things that have been beloved and built up to epic proportions.

It was always going to be difficult but they have made it a lot harder by rushing it and having contradictory story lines in consecutive episodes. They don’t have to make it popular, they don’t have to make it clear cut, they don’t even have to tie up every story line, they do have to make it make sense and so far this season we have seen multiple character arcs being completely undone in seconds. Jamie, Arya, Dany have all had sudden character changes. Jamie was seemingly from nowhere, Dany went mad because KL surrendered and Arya abandoned everything she had been preparing for because the Hound said something. Even Tyrion betrayed his Queen to help the person he hates live, that was at least kinda understandable. Cersei just stood and watched and did nothing then ran away and cried. Even Varys was careless with his whispers and he got caught. 

Edited by Captain...
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Captain... said:

It was always going to be difficult but they have made it a lot harder by rushing it and having contradictory story lines in consecutive episodes. They don’t have to make it popular, they don’t have to make it clear cut, they don’t even have to tie up every story line, they do have to make it make sense and so far this season we have seen multiple character arcs being completely undone in seconds. Jamie, Arya, Dany have all had sudden character changes. Jamie was seemingly from nowhere, Dany went mad because KL surrendered and Arya abandoned everything she had been preparing for because the Hound said something. Even Tyrion betrayed his Queen to help the person he hates live, that was at least kinda understandable. Cersei just stood and watched and did nothing then ran away and cried. Even Varys was careless with his whispers and he got caught. 

 

Well then you write an eight-series epic fantasy TV show and if it's as easy as you reckon I'll doff my cap to you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well apparently the writers were offered to do up to season 9 for 10 episodes each season but they chose to cut it down. Something to do with them getting work from Disney on the new star wars films/tv shows or whatever. Sounds like they've got bored of it and tried to rush through it. Shame really as you can tell that the last 2 seasons have been way more rushed then the others. The last episode wasn't BAD but it felt like it could have been so much better if they had built it up to make more sense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would people stop saying the Daenarys thing came out of nowhere?  It really didn't.  Been building since pretty much day one or did you not think the brutal murders she's been committing wherever she goes were big deals?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Just saw the spoilers after some div posted it elsewhere... hmmmmm. 

For the final ep? God I hope there aren't spoilers about - I thought them filming multiple endings would keep them at bay :(

Edited by lgfualol
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Would people stop saying the Daenarys thing came out of nowhere?  It really didn't.  Been building since pretty much day one or did you not think the brutal murders she's been committing wherever she goes were big deals?

Her mistakes and outbursts in previous seasons were somewhat justifiable though.

 

I’ve got no problem with the end point of her arc but not enough had told me she’d resort to burning a bunch of innocent locals after they’d already surrendered.

 

I know she’s had an horrendous time of it in recent episodes but her switch felt rushed/unnatural

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Goober said:

Her mistakes and outbursts in previous seasons were somewhat justifiable though.

 

I’ve got no problem with the end point of her arc but not enough had told me she’d resort to burning a bunch of innocent locals after they’d already surrendered.

 

I know she’s had an horrendous time of it in recent episodes but her switch felt rushed/unnatural

I don't think so, I'd say they've been more heavy handedly developing of that side of her this season so I can understand that it's felt forced through over the course of this season in general compared to the gradual build up of previous ones but all the signs were put in place over the 5 episodes so when Tyrion suggested the bells idea to her you should have had a good idea where they were going with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lgfualol said:

For the final ep? God I hope there aren't spoilers about - I thought them filming multiple endings would keep them at bay :(

Was a post from before the very first episode that’s called everything correctly. Obviously there is the chance the ending will be switched but they nailed the rest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Would people stop saying the Daenarys thing came out of nowhere?  It really didn't.  Been building since pretty much day one or did you not think the brutal murders she's been committing wherever she goes were big deals?

She has never killed innocent people for no reason. It was set up to have her killing innocents to get to Cersei, that I could understand, maybe triggering the caches of wildfire killing a lot more than intended. I could even understand KL surrenders and the soldiers surrender to Jon the people of KL cheer Jon and the northerners whilst pockets of defenders kill Dothraki and unsullied. She sees Greyworm killed by a mob and realises she will always be a foreign invader burn them all. I could even forgive her just getting carried away with the battle ignoring/not hearing the bells and just revelling in death and destruction. 

 

To stop see she has victory she has what she wanted and then just burns it all made no sense.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Was a post from before the very first episode that’s called everything correctly. Obviously there is the chance the ending will be switched but they nailed the rest.

Robert Barratheon wakes up, takes a shower and realises it was all a dream, so he has everyone beheaded just to be sure.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

 

 

  Hide contents

The Unsullied are meant to be disciplined.  There was nothing disciplined about their approach once the bells rang.  It was a free-for-all.  Even Jon's Northmen did what the hell they wanted.  This all came after the Dothraki, seemingly obliterated in episode 3, took apart the soldiers inside the walls.  

 

Greyworm leads the unsullied, they take their curs from him. And he was looking for a good excuse to take out his grief on the soldiers of the Queen that killed Missandei.

 

The northmen just followed everyone else into battle. There was a scene last week that showed them telling us that they lost half their forces in the Battle Of Winterfell. So they still had a fair few Dothraki left. 

 

 
The Mountain and The Hound - why?  What is the motivation there for wanting him dead?  Tell you what, let's take The Hound (my fav character) stab his brother in the neck a few times and then go for an eye, before smashing him through a wall into a sea of fire - why?  

 

Well obviously the Hound wanted revenge on his brother. That has been explained umpteen times in the show, and even in that episode. The seemingly immortal Mountain took away a bit of tension in it though, I agree. 
 

Random balls of wildfire blowing off here and there - why? 

 

It was established way back at the Battle Of The Blackwater by Tyrion and Qyburn that there are stashes of Wildfire all underneath the city. Put there by the Mad King to use if he needed them. Which he tried and failed when Jaime killed him. 

Arya acting all assassin but runs around a lot doing nothing but finds a horse and rides away - why?

 

It did seem a bit dragged out at the time, but I think they are setting up for her to have felt suffering and grief because of Danaerys burning the city. That gives her extra motivation to want to kill her.

 

She turned back eventually because she knew she'd die as well if she continued. She has a bond with The Hound and had no reason to doubt his words. I didn't find that bit odd at all. 

 

 

Quote

 

As above. 

 

There is a good thread here about the show and what we were expecting and got. 

 

 

Edited by The Bear
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not going to say a lot, other than the CGI is good, the actors are good, and the writing is very bad.

 

I probably put more thought into this comment than the writers did into season 8 of Game of Thrones.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Captain... said:

She has never killed innocent people for no reason. It was set up to have her killing innocents to get to Cersei, that I could understand, maybe triggering the caches of wildfire killing a lot more than intended. I could even understand KL surrenders and the soldiers surrender to Jon the people of KL cheer Jon and the northerners whilst pockets of defenders kill Dothraki and unsullied. She sees Greyworm killed by a mob and realises she will always be a foreign invader burn them all. I could even forgive her just getting carried away with the battle ignoring/not hearing the bells and just revelling in death and destruction. 

 

To stop see she has victory she has what she wanted and then just burns it all made no sense.

 

Nah she's always been fond of making examples and the dialogue this season has been pretty clearly telling us that she wanted to destroy everything at KL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Nah she's always been fond of making examples and the dialogue this season has been pretty clearly telling us that she wanted to destroy everything at KL.

Yes kill people to make an example where needed, but not innocents. She’s killed slavers to break the chains of slavery, the leaders of the other slave cities who wanted to destroy her and mereen, Dothraki khals who wanted to rape her, people who have betrayed her or fought her and not surrendered. She’s killed enemies and maybe some collateral damage.

 

She’s not deliberately taken innocent lives before and no other deliberate act in the whole series has caused such a pointless waste of lives. She has gone from heroine to flawed leader with questionable temperament to the greatest villain Westeros has ever seen. The mad king wanted to burn all of KL but didn’t, Dany did, and for no reason, there are no shades of grey, no just cause, no explaining this, it was pointless, needless killing. There is no redemption from this.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...