Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
oxford blue

Yakubu - to China

If I'd scored over 100 goals in one of the best leagues in the World, I'd be inclined to look for a fresh challenge too. If that happened to come with a lucrative wage and the opportunity to trail blaze in a new territory, so be it. That's also based on the proviso that he is actually 29, he may know more about his longevity than we do.

Let me ask you this question then because I think it's probably at the heart of the matter...

Do you think Yakubu would wish 'a fresh challenge' and 'to trailblaze' in China if it meant he would have to halve his annual salary to do so?

I would suspect, given this scenario, that Mr Ayegbeni may well publically state his love for the North West and his desire to get Blackburn back to the Prem.

lol

It's for cash at the end of the day, but then again, if somebody offered you the same job but for way more money, are you going to reject it? I'm afraid, apart from several players (Gerrard for example), loyalty doesn't exist anymore.

Yakubu can still cut it at Premier League level, as proved last year, in a poor team.

I swear you are a liverpool fan

Let me ask you this question then because I think it's probably at the heart of the matter...

Do you think Yakubu would wish 'a fresh challenge' and 'to trailblaze' in China if it meant he would have to halve his annual salary to do so?

I would suspect, given this scenario, that Mr Ayegbeni may well publically state his love for the North West and his desire to get Blackburn back to the Prem.

lol

You'll have to point out the players wearing the Che Guevara t-shirts and berets to me because I don't see many.

Jesus, if he was actually our player and he was leaving Leicester I could perhaps understand the bitterness but he's not been our player for a season now - and even then he was actually our player, he was on loan to us.

So it's exactly like the rest of the World.

As I said, you make my point for me. Why suggest then that the Yak is moving to China for anything other than money. You know it, I know it.

Just be honest about it. If you agree that this is a good thing, fine. I personally think there's more to life. I guess that's why I respect players like Steeeevie Gerrard so much... He's stayed at a club he obviously loves for more than simply money. He's got enough money and I believe he wishes to play the best he can for his home town. Good on ya lad.

Jesus, if he was actually our player and he was leaving Leicester I could perhaps understand the bitterness but he's not been our player for a season now - and even then he was actually our player, he was on loan to us.

Who's being bitter Matt?

I'd say it about any player I thought who's motives were the same. He wouldn't have had to have played for City.

And the thread is about Yakubu in this instance.

As I said, you make my point for me. Why suggest then that the Yak is moving to China for anything other than money. You know it, I know it.

Just be honest about it. If you agree that this is a good thing, fine. I personally think there's more to life. I guess that's why I respect players like Steeeevie Gerrard so much... He's stayed at a club he obviously loves for more than simply money. He's got enough money and I believe he wishes to play the best he can for his home town. Good on ya lad.

I don't understand the bitterness towards him, he's hardly a stand out example of a money grabbing player, he's in the majority. He played for Blackburn for a year, did they even want to retain his services or were they happy to get him off the wage bill?

I'm under no illusion that he's doing it for the money, I just won't lose any more respect for him than I would most players. Personally I think there's more to life than money but I wouldn't berate Robert De Niro for taking $20 million to make film instead of treading the boards every night.

I don't understand the bitterness towards him, he's hardly a stand out example of a money grabbing player, he's in the majority. He played for Blackburn for a year, did they even want to retain his services or were they happy to get him off the wage bill?

I'm under no illusion that he's doing it for the money, I just won't lose any more respect for him than I would most players. Personally I think there's more to life than money but I wouldn't berate Robert De Niro for taking $20 million to make film instead of treading the boards every night.

You can suggest I'm 'bitter' if you want to. If it helps you to make an argument.

The reality is I don't give a toss what Yakubu does or doesn't do. It's up to him, good luck to the man. However, don't suggest that he's going to China to trailblaze. He's gonna for the money pure and simple.

Personally, I'd respect him more if he stayed at Blackburn and helped them to gain promotion. Although you could be right? Maybe they want him gone? I doubt it, but that could be the case.

I'm glad he's not staying, as it happens, cos it gives City a better chance when we play them.

You can suggest I'm 'bitter' if you want to. If it helps you to make an argument.

The reality is I don't give a toss what Yakubu does or doesn't do. It's up to him, good luck to the man. However, don't suggest that he's going to China to trailblaze. He's gonna for the money pure and simple.

Personally, I'd respect him more if he stayed at Blackburn and helped them to gain promotion. Although you could be right? Maybe they want him gone? I doubt it, but that could be the case.

I'm glad he's not staying, as it happens, cos it gives City a better chance when we play them.

I was suggesting that moving to a new territory football wise to trailblaze in a developing league could be an attractive reason to move to China specifically. Of course money is the deciding factor. But then again I wouldn't seperate his motive from Beckham, Best, Pele, Beckenbauer or Cruyff. I agree with you on principle, I just don't understand why he needs to be singled out. He's scored over a century of goals in our top league, it's not like he hasn't achieved anything here.

I was suggesting that moving to a new territory football wise to trailblaze in a developing league could be an attractive reason to move to China specifically. Of course money is the deciding factor. But then again I wouldn't seperate his motive from Beckham, Best, Pele, Beckenbauer or Cruyff. I agree with you on principle, I just don't understand why he needs to be singled out. He's scored over a century of goals in our top league, it's not like he hasn't achieved anything here.

It's the thread title mate so I'm responding. ie Yakubu.

It's not the 'Cruyff or Weller' thread.

China seems to be the latest of the desperate Asian leagues. There was Qatar, UAE, Saudi Arabia and now them, that are trying to snatch past-their-best players and pay them a ridiculous amount of money. It started out with Derek Riordan and Marlon Warehood and now they've moved on to Drogba, Anelka and Yak so they are making progress. It's always disappointing to see a player who still has a lot to offer, play in a league of such poor standard.

It didn't start with Derek Riordan, it started with Dario Conca signing for Gangzhou from Fluminense - one of the best players in South America at the time, in the peak of his career. That's been the catalyst for all these other moves, showed the world the amount of moolah on offer in China.

Nobody is bitter. Barely anyone has mentioned him playing for us. You need get over telling people to get over him when they're are just chatting casually about the decision to take a pay day in China.

Comes across like you're a bit obsessed with him. Bit weird.

I do think Yakubu could have done better here, another lower end Premiership team would have welcomed him with open arms.

Whether he lasts three years out in China or bails out as the cultural gap becomes too much remains to be seen though.

Chinese football is very much in its infancy but I do get the feeling that it'll become a big league one day with the amount of money flying around.

Says more about him than that kind of farce league, I seriously have absolutely no respect for any player who joins those embarrassing leagues, absolutely nothing but a payday.

To have it at 29 is a sheer embarrassment.

I love a good old fashioned exaggerated post.

I wanted to know some more about football in China and if anyone is interested the following is a reasonable summary:

http://www.economist.com/node/21541716

13 of the top clubs are owned by property companies – makes a change from Russian, American or UAE billionaires! Yakubu’s club, Guangzhou, are current champions and average attendances of over 45,000.Beijing are just behind this – average for top league is around 17,000, which is about the same as the Championship. Shangai Shenhua, who Anelka and Drogba will play for, have average attendances of less than 10,000. Their season ticket has almost doubled to the equivalent of around £100 to help fund this.

Corruption has been a big problem; this from June 2012:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/9329096/China-jails-former-football-chiefs-for-corruption.html

• 5 years later...

Archived