Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
longy

Vinyl

Just got The Smiths 'The Queen Is Dead' exclusive from HMV. Not sure which songs exactly are on B side, I take it the A side is the single without the intro.

(@baylisslcfc cheers for the info - I wanted Cream too but I think that might be released tomorrow).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Vinyls came thick and fast in my business including a Wurlitzer Juke Box with all it's 60s singles. It was used as a charity fund-raiser at a pub in Northamptonshire. Needs servicing now.

You can occasionally buy rarer LPs at boot sales when they're being cleared directly from houses but you need to get there early. The trade are there before the venders and are always looking for free gifts from the uninformed.

Your best chance of a real bargain is from the the late arrivals or those who don't start selling their stock til the trade rush clears.

If you see a decent collection don't hover over one or two items - you'll get swamped - try buying the lot. 

Many people want rid and the thought of selling everything will almost guarantee a bargain. 

Anything you don't want can be sold on at another boot or an auction but by buying in bulk you'll be able to sift through everything and decide what to keep in your own time. Look out for local small ads too. I did a clearance not too long ago where the guy's greatest love was listening to music until his hearing faded and he needed to move into care.

He was so pleased with what he got for the clearance he sold me a whole small bedroom stacked floor to ceiling with vinyls almost by way of a thankyou. I didn't actually give a toss about their perceived value - just picking out the music I liked and moving the rest on for next-to nothing.    

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Anyone have recommendations for a starting out record player / speaker combo for under £200/£250?

I know I wouldn't get anything brilliant for that sort of price, but I plan to dip my toe in first and then build from there. 

That's a pretty low price.

The pro-ject series are always good for the money, I believe the primary is around £180.

As for speakers for the money you want to spend perhaps 2nd hand is the way to go as speakers would cost at least another £100.  I always liked Wharfdale diamond speakers which you can get off ebay usually for around £30-40

• Like 1

On 07/08/2017 at 18:49, purpleronnie said:

That's a pretty low price.

The pro-ject series are always good for the money, I believe the primary is around £180.

As for speakers for the money you want to spend perhaps 2nd hand is the way to go as speakers would cost at least another £100.  I always liked Wharfdale diamond speakers which you can get off ebay usually for around £30-40

Dont forget the amp and pre amp (if needed) add another £100

1 hour ago, hairy said:

Apologies Sam but.......

This what frustrates me about 'signed' records. That is not a signature. Anyone could have done it squiggle

Oh yeah I just wanted the red vinyl and shirt which were only available in this pack. Im happy they put the 'signature' on a separate sleeve though

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Anybody get anything for Christmas?

I got Revolver by the Beatles which is probably my favourite album ever (and their best).

Just bought The Stone Roses debut self-titled at HMV too .... they've got a sale on atm.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I got Revolver by the Beatles which is probably my favourite album ever (and their best).

Just bought The Stone Roses debut self-titled at HMV too .... they've got a sale on atm.

I've had graham coxon "falling" 7"

I've had a who picture disc

an arctic monkeys ep: "who the **** are the arctic monkeys?"

and an Etienne Idaho lp: "l' invitation "

21 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Got The Smiths- Strangeways, here we come and Prodigy- Fat of the land

Oh and Paul Weller- Modern Classics, don’t know how I forgot that!

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Dr Marco said:

I've had graham coxon "falling" 7"

I've had a who picture disc

an arctic monkeys ep: "who the **** are the arctic monkeys?"

and an Etienne Idaho lp: "l' invitation "

What Who did you get?