Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LcFc_Smiv

'Dear all'

While flicking through facebook,I came across a post from a girl I used to go school with, her family have come across her grandfathers letters he wrote home during WWII, there are believed to be around 500 letters. Her father is writing these up and posting them up on to a website as they were written, I thought this might interest some people on here with the author of the letters and his family coming from Leicester, so far there are two letters, but I'm quite intrigued to read more. Just thought I'd share it with you.

http://dearall.co.uk/

We each got 2 suits, 1 suit of overalls which we wear nearly all day, 2 prs. boots, 4 prs. good grey socks, 1 pullover, 2 prs. gym shorts, 3 shirts, 1 pair gym shoes, housewife, razor (safety), shaving brush, tooth brush, boot and hair brushes, comb.

:o I didn't know squaddies were treated so well in the war

edit ;

very interesting thanks

We each got 2 suits, 1 suit of overalls which we wear nearly all day, 2 prs. wheelies, 4 prs. good grey socks, 1 hoodie, 2 prs. kecks, 3 shirts, 1 pair nike air, bitch, razor (flick), shaving foam (lolz!), tooth brush, dental floss, boot and hair brushes, comb an stuff innit.

I'm surprised by how similar his style of writing is to what you might expect if it were written today. How can we be sure this isn't a hoax

You know, I think you might be right!

I'm surprised by how similar his style of writing is to what you might expect if it were written today. How can we be sure this isn't a hoax

They're letters from a 17 year old squaddie from within the last century. It's hardly Shakespeare.

Maybe so , but I'm not really sure what the point of that would be .

It's not like they are claiming to be letters from Bernard Montgomery or anything

You know, I think you might be right!

lol

I'll agree I was surprised at how easy it was to read, especially for me, and I have no proof of it not being a hoax, however I would say he is far better spoken than what I was at 17 and many other 17 year olds I know of, I'm 20 to clarify. Plus as stated above there is real no point of it being a hoax, it's just a family who are willing to share their grandfathers stories.

I agree.

'In barrack room with 21 more chaps – jolly good fellows, mostly Cockneys'

Typical 17 year old speak.

Hi

I spotted this thread and thought I would join and reply.

The letters were written by my dad, they are completely genuine, there's no point in making this up!

I'm writing them up and decided to post them as a sort of blog, each one going online at www.dearall.co.uk exactly 70 years after it was written. I was doing it for myself but thought some people might find them interesting. They were just letters home from a young lad to his mum and dad, he wasn't writing expecting them to be put online.

He was a lifelong City fan as well, had a season ticket for about 40 years until he died :)

Hi

The letters were written by my dad, they are completely genuine, there's no point in making this up!

I'm writing them up and decided to post them as a sort of blog, each one going online at www.dearall.co.uk exactly 70 years after it was written. I was doing it for myself but thought some people might find them interesting. They were just letters home from a young lad to his mum and dad, he wasn't writing expecting them to be put online.

He was a lifelong City fan as well, had a season ticket for about 40 years until he died :)

Welcome and thank you for sharing the letters, look forward to reading more!

Hi

Hi and welcome :)

Do you have any idea why army recruits were issued with a "housewife" along with their boots and socks and stuff ?

Hi and welcome :)

Do you have any idea why army recruits were issued with a "housewife" along with their boots and socks and stuff ?

I noticed that just the thing today's 17 year olds are constantly going on about only they refer to them as bitches.. :P

From google - http://www.militarykit.com/products/first_aid_washing_cleaning_sewing/housewife_sewing_kit.htm

I noticed that just the thing today's 17 year olds are constantly going on about only they refer to them as bitches.. :P

From google - http://www.militaryk..._sewing_kit.htm

so that's what it is :D

a flippin sewing kit :thumbup: thanks ,

i'd been rather concerned about poor little housewives being abducted and given to raw recruits :D

Hi

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort . Very intresting read so far...

Does he mention City at all in any of his Letters?

Archived