Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Random stupid stuff that springs to mind... literally

Why didn't I know about peeling an egg with a spoon before?

Quickly give them a couple of bashes on a hard surface, peel off a small bit of shell and then run cold water from the tap inside the rest.

That's the methodology that I was taught and used in my long ago days as a kitchen porter. Proved very effective at shelling a lot of eggs very quickly. 

• Like 1

If you are born in England you are English

If you are born in France you are french

What are you if your born in the Vatican City?

I believe you have to be granted citizenship for Vatican City, being born there doesn't make you a citizen. Therefore i assume you would take on the parents birthplace.  

Or you might be called a Vaticanarian

Edited by kingcarr21

If you are born in England you are English

If you are born in France you are french

What are you if your born in the Vatican City?

Wikipedia answers that.

Being born there doesn't grant you citizenship, as it does in other states, so you'd be Italian. Likewise, anyone with citizenship who has it revoked automatically becomes Italian.

Wikipedia answers that.

Being born there doesn't grant you citizenship, as it does in other states, so you'd be Italian. Likewise, anyone with citizenship who has it revoked automatically becomes Italian.

Wikipedia is not the way to go for a thread such as this. Answers are easily acheivable online but theres no fun in discussing the strange thoughts we all have if you just wiki them!  

Anyway, back to my point, so what are citizens of Vatican city called?

Also, One for Finners..........

Why are people from Swansea Jacks, and people from Llanelli Turks??

I do actually know the answer to this through discussing my random thoughts with colleagues but its still interesting :)

Wikipedia is not the way to go for a thread such as this. Answers are easily acheivable online but theres no fun in discussing the strange thoughts we all have if you just wiki them!  

Anyway, back to my point, so what are citizens of Vatican city called?

I would be disappointed if i wasnt known as a Vaticanarian

Also, One for Finners..........

Why are people from Swansea Jacks, and people from Llanelli Turks??

I do actually know the answer to this through discussing my random thoughts with colleagues but its still interesting :)

I've always been told the Turks nickname is because of Turkish sailors being historically common in Llanelli.

Jacks is similar, something to do with sailors in the industrial era. The sailors were called jacks and Swansea had a big maritime tradition, hence they're all jacks.

I've always been told the Turks nickname is because of Turkish sailors being historically common in Llanelli.

Jacks is similar, something to do with sailors in the industrial era. The sailors were called jacks and Swansea had a big maritime tradition, hence they're all jacks.

Sounds right. Mentioned here re. Jack Tar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Tar

Slightly different to what i was told, but in a similar vein.

Swansea Jacks comes from a Dog 'Jack' that saved some sailors lives in Swansea Dock. He was lauded and celebrated across the UK and thats where the nickname Swansea Jacks come from. He was some sort of Black Lab/retreiver and theres a pub near tescos called Swansea Jacks and theres a memorial on the beach from too.

In regards to the Turks, I was told it evolved around the crimean war when the UK embargoed trade with Turkey. Aload of ships turned up to Swansea but weren't allowed in. The headed up the coast and Llanelli let them all through. Same vein as your version but perhaps with more detail. I'm sure Wiki has the answer for anyone desperate to know the answers! :)

Yeah been told the Swansea Jack story no end of times but always understood the nickname to predate that regards the sailors. Not really sure, mind.

And aye, as I said, Llanelli Turks is to do with Turkish sailors coming in to harbour. I've heard another telling claiming the dockers in Swansea were on strike hence the Turks going to Llanelli.

I don't think there's any one definitive explanation.

Edited by Finnegan

Yeah been told the Swansea Jack story no end of times but always understood the nickname to predate that regards the sailors. Not really sure, mind.

And aye, as I said, Llanelli Turks is to do with Turkish sailors coming in to harbour. I've heard another telling claiming the dockers in Swansea were on strike hence the Turks going to Llanelli.

I don't think there's any one definitive explanation.

Your probably right! Interesting discussion though :)

Edited by RobHawk

I like the story I heard (possibly rubbish, probably even) that the sheepshaggers stuff came from Welsh thieves telling English magistrates they were fornicating with the livestock when caught rustling as the punishment wasn't death/maiming compared to that off theft.

Good story, even if bollocks.

OK here's one I thought about in the car the other day and haven't Googled (mainly through fear of there being a simple explanation).

Is the bottom half of the map of the world upside down? So for example, should Western Australia actually be Eastern Australia?

Surely if you work from the equator, you have to go up to the North Pole and South Pole respectively, so the Southern Hemisphere should treat the South Pole as its North?

EDIT: I guess the problem would be that South would become North... This is unravelling as a stupid question.

Edited by Benji

Oh Benji.

In my defence, from a practical point of view am I not right? If you're stood at the South Pole your feet face towards the centre of the Earth and until you hit the equator you're slightly leaning that way (if you imagine the Earth not to spin on an axis). I just kind of ignore the whole concept of North and a compass lol

Edited by Benji