Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Safe Standing - Support the Early Day motion

The likelyhood is that a certain scottish club will be introducing the safe standing model in the near future, hopefully this will add the pressure on the government and clubs to realise this isnt going away, its what fans want and more importantly perfectly safe.

If it was up to me I'd have the trial in the whole of L, possibly K too. I think it would be important to have whole blocks instead of just parts of them as we'd want to keep all the singers in the tightest possible area.

The thing with having whole blocks standing is that it would partially block the view of those sitting right next to them, perhaps it would be a good idea to 'angle' the standing area such that it won't obstruct the view of the sitters. that's why I say top of K1.

I suspect if it ever came to the KP it would be along the top x number of rows of the KOP with the intention of drawing fans away from L1 where sitting would then be vigorously enforced.

The thing with having whole blocks standing is that it would partially block the view of those sitting right next to them, perhaps it would be a good idea to 'angle' the standing area such that it won't obstruct the view of the sitters. that's why I say top of K1.

Hmmm but surely that's the case anyway now? Like if I'm sitting at the top of J I will struggle to see the corner of the pitch near the away fans? If you're sat near the bottom I don't think your view would be obstructed even if the bottom row of the block next to you was standing.

I think the effect on the atmosphere would be very limited if you just had the top of stands converted. After all, the top parts of L and K stand at the moment.

Hmmm but surely that's the case anyway now? Like if I'm sitting at the top of J I will struggle to see the corner of the pitch near the away fans? If you're sat near the bottom I don't think your view would be obstructed even if the bottom row of the block next to you was standing.

I think the effect on the atmosphere would be very limited if you just had the top of stands converted. After all, the top parts of L and K stand at the moment.

I don't believe there would be enough fan pressure to convert our stadium into safe standing....tbh just to have it as an option in england would be a huge deal....and some would say it will never happen and I'm still in that camp atm.

Its a little disturbing that people have recieved word for word the same response from different MP's.

I did hear from a Government Minister who isnt able to sign EDM's but is going to raise the matter with the relevant Minister at the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

p.s. So far 7 mp's (all libs or lab) have signed the EDM, so if you havent contacted your MP please do so it will only take a few moments and detials of how to do this are in this thread.

Edited by purpleronnie

Palace become latest club to back safe standing publicly.

By Andy Saunders - sometimes of this parish - in today's Croydon Advertiser:

CRYSTAL Palace Football Club have backed calls from supporters for the Government to allow trials of safe standing areas in England.

Co-chairman Stephen Browett told the Advertiser this week he “fully supported†proposals to pilot technology currently used in Germany, as it was possible it might actually improve crowd safety.

Selhurst Park has been an all-seater stadium for almost 20 years, after standing was outlawed following the 1989 Hillsborough disaster. But a growing number of clubs in the top two divisions are now asking for trials of “rail seating†areas, in the hope they could provide a solution to stop thousands of fans persistently standing in seated areas.

Mr Browett said: “I fully support the introduction of a pilot scheme to test safe standing in our football stadiums. At the moment most away supporters stand in front of seats as well as a sizeable chunk of home fans.â€

Rail seating is comprised of seats incorporated into a continuous waist height barrier. The seats can be flipped up and locked to create standing areas, but any crushing or surging is physically impossible because barriers are fixed every one or two rows.

“It would appear to me that rail seats could be a safer option, as it is already used successfully and safely in Germany,†Mr Browett added.

A nationwide Football Supporters’ Federation campaign for safe standing areas was boosted last month following the release of the damning Hillsborough report, which blamed the tragedy almost entirely on the police and which has now encouraged more clubs to declare an interest in relaxing the all seater rule. An early day motion has since been tabled in Parliament to allow trials and the Federation has announced plans this week to demonstrate rail seats to MPs at Westminster in December.

Campaigner Jon Darch, who has spent more than a year visiting clubs throughout the country with a sample rail seat structure, said the prospect of Palace fans being allowed to stand again was edging closer.

He said: "When I came to Selhurst Park last December, I was very pleased to find the club keen to explore the concept. For the chairman to now follow that up with his comments this week is very good news indeed and adds to the support being expressed by other clubs such as Aston Villa, Sunderland, Peterborough United, Derby County and the whole of the Scotland.

“We now hope that a good number of MPs will represent the wishes of their football-supporting constituents by signing the early day motion. If all goes well, clubs like Crystal Palace may soon be able to offer their singing sections designated safe standing accommodation designed for the purpose."

Villa support:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/9636019/Aston-Villa-offer-to-trial-standing-areas.html

Aston Villa offer to trial standing areas

Aston Villa have become the first Premier League club to publicly back a new campaign for trials of standing areas for fans in top-flight and Championship matches.

Making a stand: Aston Villa backing campaign for trials of standing areas for fans Photo: EPA

The campaign has been launched by the Football Supporters' Federation (FSF) and with Birmingham MP Roger Godsiff. Aston Villa and Peterborough have both given their support to calls for the Government to allow "small-scale trials of safe standing areas" and have volunteered to host a trial.

Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner said: "We have had a number of good discussions and meetings with the FSF over the past 12 months and fully support their campaign to allow small-scale trials of safe standing areas at grounds.

"Whenever we have discussed the topic with our fans we've found almost unanimous support for such a trial, and the concept of giving fans the choice to decide to either sit or stand at a game.

"We believe Villa Park could be a potential venue for such a trial, and would like the opportunity to progress the plans further with the wider support of the football community in this country."

Godsiff has also submitted an early day motion to Parliament which "urges the Government to accept the case for introducing, on a trial basis, limited standing areas".

The trials would need a change in the Football Spectators Act 1989, brought in after the Hillsborough disaster.

Peter Daykin, Safe Standing Coordinator at the FSF, said: "For two decades since the Taylor Report, the overwhelming majority of football supporters have favoured a choice of standing and sitting at football, and fans continue to stand throughout all levels of the game today, even in the Premier League and Championship where it is against ground regulations and facilities are designed for sitting.

"Standing was outlawed on grounds of safety, and yet successive governments have agreed that standing is safe - it's hard not to when it is done perfectly safely every week at rugby grounds, lower league football grounds and in top football leagues all around the world."

Last year the Hillsborough Family Support Group opposed any move to bring back standing areas.

HFSG spokesman Margaret Aspinall said then: "The Hillsborough Family Support Group are totally against any form of standing whatsoever. We are absolutely against it and always will be. Our football clubs should remain all-seater stadiums.

"People always say they have standing areas in Germany, but we don't play any part over what happens in that country - we just believe there's no such thing as safe standing in this country. We will not be encouraging the government to change the law."

The Premier League and successive governments have until now also opposed any change

The sad thing is that the 23 other Championship clubs came out in support of safe standing, the silence from our club would still be deafening.

At least the all-seater lobby will find it that bit harder to trot out the 'there is no call for safe standing' nonsense now.

quick bump, 19 mp's signed up, non from leicestershire so please contact your local mp, it will only take a couple of minutes and can be done online.

A couple of coventry MP's have signed it.

http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2012-13/573

You can find your local MP through this link:-

http://www.writetothem.com/

SEEMS MR BRIDGEN IS NOT A MAN FOR THE FOOTBALL FANS.... ANOTHER KNOCK BACK...

Thank you for your e-mail. This is an issue which has been raised with

me by several constituents and I am sympathetic to the arguments of

the campaign given the safe standing trials that have taken place in

Germany. I have also written to the Minister on this issue.

I do not sign EDM's as a rule due to concerns over cost and

effectiveness. It is an issue I will continue to take a close interest

in.

Kind Regards,

Andrew Bridgen

Response fron brigden to me when i pointed out the different replies to myself and purple ronnie

To: [email protected] Show details

Hi Stuart,

That was a response I provided quite a few months ago before I looked into the matter in greater depth. The response was the Ministerial line which was being taken at the time.

Kind Regards,

Andrew