Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

I really find the US Open the least enjoyable major of the year, watching this war of attrition in an era where the sport is struggling for numbers is not what the sport needs in my opinion. 

Watching the likes of Tiger, Day, McIlroy, Rahm, Garcia, Scott (the list goes on) struggle and being made to look a bit silly isn't great for the game. Nor as an amateur does it "make me feel better, as the pros can hit shots that we hit", this isn't a normal golf course like the ones we play. There's hard and then there's a bit ridiculous. I always find the USGA a bit ridiculous at the US Open, the one where DJ won in particular was a farce. 

It isn't going to make people pick the game up, when they see a guy who plays it day in day out taking 6 on a par 3 that's 157 yards long. 

I realise it is a one off each year, but there's no need for it to be stupidly hard like it is. 

• Like 1

On 15/06/2018 at 18:35, HowardsBulletHeader said:

I really find the US Open the least enjoyable major of the year, watching this war of attrition in an era where the sport is struggling for numbers is not what the sport needs in my opinion. 

Watching the likes of Tiger, Day, McIlroy, Rahm, Garcia, Scott (the list goes on) struggle and being made to look a bit silly isn't great for the game. Nor as an amateur does it "make me feel better, as the pros can hit shots that we hit", this isn't a normal golf course like the ones we play. There's hard and then there's a bit ridiculous. I always find the USGA a bit ridiculous at the US Open, the one where DJ won in particular was a farce. 

It isn't going to make people pick the game up, when they see a guy who plays it day in day out taking 6 on a par 3 that's 157 yards long. 

I realise it is a one off each year, but there's no need for it to be stupidly hard like it is. 

Totally agree mate. I thought Zac Johnson summed it up beautifully earlier. It’s a great course but the USGA fvck about with it trying to be too clever. What do they expect when they shave the greens, put the pins in daft places and then the wind picks up? You thought they’d learn their lesson from ‘04 there. I don’t think the players are big fans of the USOpen either. I get the whole ‘toughest major’ thing but it’s not particularly enjoyable watching really. 

He knew the rules and deliberately hit the moving ball toward the hole. It's a clear two shot penalty in the rules. If he'd have stopped it or deflected it to stop it rolling off the green then yes that's a DQ.

It's a storm in a teacup if you ask me. He's nowhere near the business end. He's not depriving anyone of prize money. He was just mucking around because he knew he was out of contention. Probably a bit stupid for a high level pro to do at a major tournament, but at the same time it's just a game and no-one has been put out by it other than those that are choosing to get way too offended by it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Totally agree mate. I thought Zac Johnson summed it up beautifully earlier. It’s a great course but the USGA fvck about with it trying to be too clever. What do they expect when they shave the greens, put the pins in daft places and then the wind picks up? You thought they’d learn their lesson from ‘04 there. I don’t think the players are big fans of the USOpen either. I get the whole ‘toughest major’ thing but it’s not particularly enjoyable watching really. 

Absolutely, make it difficult but make it playable. Why they don't learn is beyond me. Year on year they get complaints about daft pin positions or stupidly punishing greens or whatever it is. 

I honestly don't see the appeal of making the pros look stupid, the pins on 13 and 15 yesterday were absolutely ridiculous. These are the greatest exponents of our game and the pinnacles of the sport, they are not there to be made fun of. As I say, if a kid who has never played the game watches that with a thought of taking it up, they never will. They will watch it and see that a great shot is rewarded with a green that feeds it 40 yards away from the flag. 

I'm not saying let's have -20 win a US Open, but let's have -5/-6 win a fair contest. Not have +3 win a farce. 

Sunday will be undoubtedly easier and nearer to Level/+1 will win this, but only because of the player comments. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

Sunday will be undoubtedly easier and nearer to Level/+1 will win this, but only because of the player comments.

How predictable from the USGA, it really frustrates me how an organisation can repeatedly fail to set up a course fairly for 4 days and how the head of the organisation, Mike Davis, can continue to get away with it. 

I don't know how the man has kept his post for the last 3-4 years after a number of farcical US Opens.

Congrats to Koepka. Winning B2B US Opens is some achievement. 

Not a great tournament tbh. The crowd got on my tits too but that’s to be expected in NYC I suppose.

Roll on Carnoustie and the best major of the year :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kingfox said:

Wimbledon final was poor 

World Cup final was spoilt by a shit ref

Need The Open to pick my sporting spirits up, then again Mickelson will probably win it and I'll be left slashing my wrists.

:D

I'll be amazed if Mickelson wins the Open, he's having brain farts left, right and center at the moment.

Really looking forward to it though. The forecast looks pretty good with not much wind, so god knows who will win...

The greatest tournament of the year by far for me, the only one I could sit on my sofa for 4 days straight for and watch. The staging and the coverage are brilliant and attending in person is the pinnacle, but unfortunately not going this year. 

Had a few bets already:

Justin Rose- a bloke who has been so consistent for so long has to win another major at some point. He's world number 3, a fantastic ball striker and seems to have found a way to make the putter behave on a regular basis. A big threat. 

Brooks Koepka - back to back US opens won't phase him, finished well at The Open despite time off following his first US Open victory, a very good player. Who would've thought he'd have multiple majors before DJ? 

Alex Noren- had him pinned for this for a while, he loves a tough track. 

Tyrrell Hatton - loves links golf, great form and a winner of the last two Dunhill Links. 

Tommy Fleetwood- course record holder at Carnoustie and surely just a matter of time before he converts consistency into a first major. Superb ball striker.

Bring it on!

• Like 2

Never thought I'd ever say this again but I've got a sneaky feeling that Tiger might challenge this week.

The conditions are similar to when he won at Hoylake and just like then, he probably won't need his driver much at Carnoustie.

He's been threatening for a while to get over the line so maybe this week could be his breakthrough. He's got all the experience, creativity and shots for a links course and if he putts well, I reckon he could be in contention.

Might stick a tenner on him @ 25/1 I think...

7 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Never thought I'd ever say this again but I've got a sneaky feeling that Tiger might challenge this week.

The conditions are similar to when he won at Hoylake and just like then, he probably won't need his driver much at Carnoustie.

He's been threatening for a while to get over the line so maybe this week could be his breakthrough. He's got all the experience, creativity and shots for a links course and if he putts well, I reckon he could be in contention.

Might stick a tenner on him @ 25/1 I think...

The Open is the one major in the last 10-15 years where older players can get it done. Greg Norman and Tom Watson were both so close to winning in their 50's and 60's and Darren Clarke and Ernie Els won when comfortably in their 40's, as did Mickleson.

What's Tigers record like at Carnoustie? I suppose it won't matter too much what it is given the conditions of this week and as you say, it's very much Hoylake-esque. I went that year he won it and he was obscene.

I went through a stage of really disliking Tiger when he was cheating on his wife and shagging anything that moved.

But I’ve come to admire him again after his latest surgery and it would be an amazing story if he wins this week. Especially as I’d be £250 better off :D