Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tempwan Yierban

TPH's Ale Thread

Whilst I'm here, and I know I keep using the phrase 'barbecue beer', but this is about one of the best spring/summer ales - with a bit of sunshine. I had a few when we got a rare bit of sun.

It was 69p a bottle in my local Tesco although I note the price should be £1.39

These Tesco.. Simply beers are hit and miss- I don't like the darker one, but this pale one is lovely. Its a golden ale.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Absolute bargain if you ever see it under a quid.

Had a Newcastle Brown founders ale this afternoon which are on sale at my local B and M Bargains for 0.59p a bottle.

Going back tomorrow to buy a few more as I really enjoyed it.

newcastle-founders-ale.jpg

8 more of these picked up this morning for the bargain price of £4.72. :):beer:

No, it can be any beer. I'm not expecting to see Fosters or Boddingtons or Tetleys in here - but this sort of thing should be encouraged. What do you like about it? What is it like? Will I find it in Tesco? Might pick some up tonight mate.

When I said freely available, I meant in Belgium. I'd be pleasantly surprised if you can find it easily in England.

As a beer it's got the strength (7 or 8% I think) and flavour of a Belgian blonde with a noticeable bit more hoppiness than your standard Belgian beer, so it ends up tasting like a cross between Belgian beer and Ale, a sort of best of both worlds if you like.

Incidentally the company that make it also make a beer called Houblon (french for hops) Chouffe, which is apparently an IPA. I'm yet to see it anywhere so haven't had the fortune of trying it. Yet.

When I said freely available, I meant in Belgium. I'd be pleasantly surprised if you can find it easily in England.

As a beer it's got the strength (7 or 8% I think) and flavour of a Belgian blonde with a noticeable bit more hoppiness than your standard Belgian beer, so it ends up tasting like a cross between Belgian beer and Ale, a sort of best of both worlds if you like.

Incidentally the company that make it also make a beer called Houblon (french for hops) Chouffe, which is apparently an IPA. I'm yet to see it anywhere so haven't had the fortune of trying it. Yet.

What is Duvel seen as over in Belgium? Is it just a bog standard beer that's in every pub and looked down on or is it genuinely popular?

Had one of these a few days ago - had been trying to remember the name of it and my mate just text me!

thwaites-daniels-hammer-640.png

It was awful, but I think that's because we were in a Wetherspoons.

Decamped to the Druid's Arms and finished the night on well kept, fine but ordinary, Bombardier.

There are only two pubs now in Maidstone town centre which pass passable real ale. The other is a shepherd neame, so you're getting Spitfire, Masterbrew and occasionally a seasonal one.

Here's a question actually? How is Shepherd Neame rated round the country. In Kent we obvs get a lot of it. Do you see it much elsewhere? I know its distributed all over the place and Wetherspoons buy a fair bit?

Anyone ever seen Goachers? Thats a proper Maidstone brewery and the beers are delicious.

What is Duvel seen as over in Belgium? Is it just a bog standard beer that's in every pub and looked down on or is it genuinely popular?

It's pretty popular I'd say and delicious too! - The looked down on beer's easily Jupiler, and for good reason: it's a bog standard lager type beer which doesn't even taste all that great.

The Willy wig? What night, if it was Friday I was the giant long-haired ginger knocking around.

I wasn't impressed with that one, rather bland. Caledonian Brewers Passion is gods own blood though.

Was in there Saturday.

My visit was punctuated by a visit to the gents, where there was a guy pleasuring himself at the urinal repeating 'Ah, that's so beautiful'. He had grey hair and I avoided his gaze...

I'm posting this from The Henglers Circus in Glasgow (Wetherspoons) and the Ionian Porter is, in fact, blander than the gear I was drinking on Saturday in Wigston.

No Caledonian Brewers Passion in here.

:(

The Batemans Mocha (SIX FRIGGIN PERCENT) is to die for, though.

Mrs Vac is driving home.

:)

It's pretty popular I'd say and delicious too! - The looked down on beer's easily Jupiler, and for good reason: it's a bog standard lager type beer which doesn't even taste all that great.

I remember seeing it in The Netherlands a lot and it always seemed to be quite a heavily advertised beer (signage and bar paraphernalia etc.) in quite a few bars. I tried it quite recently and it is indeed delicious, it has a bit of a juniper taste to it and it's 8.5%.

Having come home to watch the match, I am enjoying a couple of distinctively un-ale-like but freezing cold Tennents.

Tennents_T_24x44ml_L.JPG

Vitamin "T".

Du vin ecossais.

Golden bullets.

Not ale, but better than water...

I've just opened what I can only describe as the worst alcoholic beverage I've EVER tasted. An Imperial Stout that's been aged in a whisky cask. It tastes like burnt wood ash water. :sick:

If anyone's ever making a purchase from the Bristol Beer Factory, go for the Chilli Chipotle Stout instead.

• 1 month later...

Question: Are we allowed to whip out favoured brews of any kind, or does it have to be specifically ale?

I'ma go ahead and post it anyway, feel free to chastise me:

lachouffe_maina.jpg

Along with Belgian beers in general, this beer's seen a spike in popularity, so what was once a special one off on a night where you happened to find yourself somewhere that served it has become freely available in supermarkets. Triffic!

Since going on holiday to Brussels, this has become one of all time favourite beers! I bought back a gift set with a glass 2 la chouffe and 2 Mc chouffes, I also recently went to " The Offie" a shop in Leicester which sells Belgian, German, British and world beers. I picked up  a la chouffe, St Bernadus tripel, Duchesse de Bourgogne, la Trappe tripel, Brugse Zot and a Jaipur which is one of my English favourites. 

You can get La Chouffe in The Pub in New Walk Leicester apparantly and I would strongly recommend anyone who goes there to try it.  

Probably the best beer that I have ever had was in Staminee De Garre, Bruges they have a house tripel which is only available there, which they serve with a little dish of homemade cheese and it is phenomenal. This was mine:

IMG_0733_zpse874c096.jpg

Archived