Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tempwan Yierban

TPH's Ale Thread

When I was in St Ives last week I quaffed many pints of Doombar!

Anyone know some place you can get it up here?

I'm pretty sure they sell it in The Clarendon off Queens Road.  I had a few pints of it a week or so ago in there.  It's one of the cheaper pints as well.

Since going on holiday to Brussels, this has become one of all time favourite beers! I bought back a gift set with a glass 2 la chouffe and 2 Mc chouffes, I also recently went to " The Offie" a shop in Leicester which sells Belgian, German, British and world beers. I picked up  a la chouffe, St Bernadus tripel, Duchesse de Bourgogne, la Trappe tripel, Brugse Zot and a Jaipur which is one of my English favourites. 

You can get La Chouffe in The Pub in New Walk Leicester apparantly and I would strongly recommend anyone who goes there to try it.  

Probably the best beer that I have ever had was in Staminee De Garre, Bruges they have a house tripel which is only available there, which they serve with a little dish of homemade cheese and it is phenomenal. This was mine:

Was supping on this gorgeous stuff again last night:  As always I started the night on a couple of light Blanches(de Brugs), then had a Duvel followed by La Chouffe, quality stuff.  Gonna have to make a note of Staminee De Garre for the next time I found myself out Bruges way.

Was supping on this gorgeous stuff again last night:  As always I started the night on a couple of light Blanches(de Brugs), then had a Duvel followed by La Chouffe, quality stuff.  Gonna have to make a note of Staminee De Garre for the next time I found myself out Bruges way.

Yeah that beer at De Garre is seriously in a league of its own. I can't wait to have my La Chouffe tomorrow night, I love the Belgian styles both the tripels and the strong ales like Duvel and La Chouffe.

I also had some labics while I was over in Brussels and they amazed me too.

Yeah that beer at De Garre is seriously in a league of its own. I can't wait to have my La Chouffe tomorrow night, I love the Belgian styles both the tripels and the strong ales like Duvel and La Chouffe.

I also had some labics while I was over in Brussels and they amazed me too.

I can't say I've come across many Lambic fans.  Very much a marmite of the beer world - most people I know find it far too bitter.  I like to drink it on the odd occasion for the experience, but it really isn't one of my favourite brews.  By contrast I'm a big fan of Geuze which is made from a base of Lambic iirc.

I can't say I've come across many Lambic fans.  Very much a marmite of the beer world - most people I know find it far too bitter.  I like to drink it on the odd occasion for the experience, but it really isn't one of my favourite brews.  By contrast I'm a big fan of Geuze which is made from a base of Lambic iirc.

Yeah I had the Cantillon Geuze and it was very nice.

Had a pint of Theakston's Courage in the Nautical William the other night - utterly vile, had gone sour. Still, credit to the new chaps, they know what a pub should be: replaced the pint with the Pedigree without having to quabble. Not sure if I just got a bad pint (the pedigree was fine) or they aren't sure how to look after their beers, but it's still a good gesture - not enough pubs do that nowadays.

Having come home to watch the match, I am enjoying a couple of distinctively un-ale-like but freezing cold Tennents.

Tennents_T_24x44ml_L.JPG

Vitamin "T".

Du vin ecossais.

Golden bullets.

Not ale, but better than water...

What - not Sweetheart Stout?! youngers_sweetheart_stout.jpg

Had a pint of Theakston's Courage in the Nautical William the other night - utterly vile, had gone sour. Still, credit to the new chaps, they know what a pub should be: replaced the pint with the Pedigree without having to quabble. Not sure if I just got a bad pint (the pedigree was fine) or they aren't sure how to look after their beers, but it's still a good gesture - not enough pubs do that nowadays.

In the Bakers Arms with my mate yesterday and the barmaid accidentally put a bit of Amstel in the Fosters the the bloke before me had just bought and was almost insistent that she replace it even though he said it as fine.

Dat glass.

Was the Karmeliet another Offie purchase?  Each visit must be like walking into heaven.

No, but I definitely need to take another trip there. I actually got in from Ocado online and was surprised that they had it, really random. I got the la chouffe glass in a gift set I brought back from Belgium, love it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just had a few bottles of Wee Heavy from the Belhavan brewery.

It's one of the best Ales I've had to date. It's excellent and only 88p a bottle atm at my local B&M's, I'll be back tomorrow for more definitely.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/148/79

I mentioned B&M for good priced ales on the ALDI thread, you can get some good stuff from that shop at silly prices. 

I mentioned B&M for good priced ales on the ALDI thread, you can get some good stuff from that shop at silly prices.

It's a great shop along with Home Bargains. We on the Fylde coast are spoilt for them with 6 B&M stores and 7 Home Bargains stores, it's great.

Archived