Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicesterpool

Bernie

27 minutes ago, ashby_fox said:

No it wasn't the guy next to Bernie only stood up when every one in front of him did then he sat down again.  He wasn't persistently standing deliberately blocking his view. If he had swapped seats it would have made no difference as the rows in front were standing on occasions.

Just out of interest what was your reasoning for taking a picture of him? 

I had to sit near him on a train once and if you don't try and wind him up and take the piss out of him and take pictures of him like he's some sort of freak show, he's actually quite polite and very knowledgable about city, and a bigger fan than you or I will ever be, still don't let that get in the way of bullying an old man being part of your day out.

• Like 2

I remember a few years ago when we went to Bristol Rovers, he had booked on Fox travel. He wandered up to the steward on bus No 1 and asked what bus he was on, No 7 came the reply, off Bernie wandered looking for bus 7. Don't know how long it took him to realise there were only 6 buses going.

Give him his dues though he still turns up at away games travelling by train don't know how he works out which train to get on though.

Comes in my shop quite regular, came in Tuesday after a foxes head he'd  seen people wearing at Wembley always very polite and calls me sir, always have to spray the shop with air freshener when he's gone.

think he's in his 70s can't really have a conversation with him as he just talks but doesn't really listen due to his mental problems

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

Just out of interest what was your reasoning for taking a picture of him? 

I had to sit near him on a train once and if you don't try and wind him up and take the piss out of him and take pictures of him like he's some sort of freak show, he's actually quite polite and very knowledgable about city, and a bigger fan than you or I will ever be, still don't let that get in the way of bullying an old man being part of your day out.

Oh so because I took a picture of him I'm a bully now!

Its a day out at Wembley mate I took lots of pictures doesn't mean I'm a bully FFS! There are lots of pictures of random Leicester fans & groups of fans about.   

4 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

There is a guy I regularly see with him , at Spurs away in cup I was genuinely concerned for his health , he certainly has issues maybe multiple issues , eccentric just doesn't cover it , as a mental health professional I'd certainly be asking social services to facilitate a MSE. 

It feels  like a disgusting "Victorian gin slum freak show" when people are pointing and taking pictures of him. 

Be nice to see one of the fan groups reach out to him and listen to his stories and relay them to us , make something of the man not something of the mans presentation ! 

Bernie needs to be treated like a legend , and a club treasure ! 

He is a legend and a club treasure and tbh I think he loves all the attention he gets whether people take pictures or just have a laugh with him (or even at him)....   but if you think someone should reach out to him Gaelic ...    with your qualifications ...   you're the man !!   :thumbup:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ashby_fox said:

Oh so because I took a picture of him I'm a bully now!

Its a day out at Wembley mate I took lots of pictures doesn't mean I'm a bully FFS! There are lots of pictures of random Leicester fans & groups of fans about.   

It was more to do with the fact you seemed pleased he was unhappy because he couldn't see and you were glad he left because he stinks, although not as much as your attitude.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

If he had family members reading this thread, they would be quite annoyed and saddened.

It's alright on commenting someone via third person but imagine if you were related to him.

I'm pretty sure he has a wife that I've seen him with several times before. Not sure if that's still the case or if they were even married- so there is a possibility a few moons ago that he might have had children. So yeah totally agree.

Does he still go in the local hero?

Use to be a few twats my age that always got him to dance and sing in there

Someone on here mentioned an article in a programme from when the club did an article on fan focus or words to that effect. I have had a look through a couple of old progs from 1977 and I am sure that Bernie was included in one of them but not exactly sure on who the opponents were. From what I remember he was an accountant and he was nominated by his wife as fan of the week so he was married, it also menti9ons him walking from Quorn to home games also to some away games. Its sorry the way he has gone downhill but lets face it he has been following the city for years and most probably was following them way before some of them who take the piss out of him were born.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Bernie has to be in his late 70's now.  When I knew him quite well (as well as anyone can know him) about 10-15 years ago he was pushing 70.  He was always talking about how he wanted to walk 70 miles on his 70th birthday for charity, but no one took him seriously enough to back him up on it..

He's been the same for as long as I've known him.  He's actually quite an interesting man.  Whether or not his stories are true but he used to tell me about the time when he got married in '66.  Took his wife to London on honeymoon so he could get to Wembley for an England game!

For those of you who can remember, he was called onto the pitch one time at Filbert Street and presented with a shirt from the Birch.  When I saw him not so long ago he was still wearing that shirt, I can't be sure it's ever been washed.

He's a pain, he does smell, and he does suffer from some sort of mental health issue.  He means no harm and the biggest love of his life is Leicester City.  He's a bigger fan than most, I wouldn't walk the distances he used to so he could make away games!

You confirm my feelings were right , poor auld sod , we really need to treat him better 

24 minutes ago, Foxes1 said:

Someone on here mentioned an article in a programme from when the club did an article on fan focus or words to that effect. I have had a look through a couple of old progs from 1977 and I am sure that Bernie was included in one of them but not exactly sure on who the opponents were. From what I remember he was an accountant and he was nominated by his wife as fan of the week so he was married, it also menti9ons him walking from Quorn to home games also to some away games. Its sorry the way he has gone downhill but lets face it he has been following the city for years and most probably was following them way before some of them who take the piss out of him were born.

I've seen this article, my mate in cheltenham had managed to find it in her collection, he was an accountant, it was his wife at the time that nominated him, I can back that up, he was a good 6ft tall as well at the time, broad shouldered and well turned out, in suit etc, I'm not sure what sort of illness he suffers from, but i didn't believe it was the same person at 1st.

It's a sad sight, but he is generally just a bit of a pain now, it's a shame has no family have taken it on themselves to help, or he doesn't want that help.

I'll see if I can get a copy of it.

Edited by Bayfox
  • Like 1

A Leicester City fan all his life something went wrong between the ears long ago but he is still a human being with feelings. Fine to have a bit of a laugh & a joke with him & the occasional aaaaaaarrrrrggggghh but those who take the piss in an insulting way are far more of a lowlife than Bernie ever will be. Respect.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

It was more to do with the fact you seemed pleased he was unhappy because he couldn't see and you were glad he left because he stinks, although not as much as your attitude.

What more do you expect from someone that comes from Ashby? The most pretentious people in Leicestershire 

On 8/10/2016 at 10:04, GaelicFox said:

I started a fund last year put £50 in it myself and the abuse I got on here about it was shocking , compleat lack of empathy and sympathy to his situation 

thought we could get him clothes and stuff , maybe a contribution towards his season ticket etc... maybe get Jim at the club to present it to him make him feel the love 

anyway i don't want to even go down that discussion again because the wierdos on here will be in moaning about it 

to be honest that sounds like a really nice idea

• Like 1