Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

Every so often take a drive to Coventry just to cheer yourself up.

147964[/snapback]

I'd rather take the train than risk the inner ring road. :o

Having lived in various places in the past 10 years (however, born and bred in Leicester), I have to say although Leicester isn't the greatest, cleanest, most architecturally impressive City in England, it certainly isn't as bad as some people would have you believe. My job takes me to different towns and cities everyday (no, im not a travelling salesman :P ), so I'd say I have fairly objective opinion.

I assume we're talking about areas within a couple of miles of the City Centre...... we have areas such as, New Walk, St Martins Sq, Silver Street, even High Street that are as good as anywhere. Areas such as, Braunstone Gate and top end of Victoria Park have decent bars.

Having said the above, we're still lacking on the shopping front. As much as it pains me to say it, I do the majority of mine in N*tt*ngh*m :whistle: .

Milton Keynes = ****in soul-less, useless sh*t-pit.

Liverpool = One of the most vibrant places in England, and under-going massive re-generation.

Having been round the world and visited/worked in loads of cities across Europe, Asia, America, Australasia I still live in Leicester because its a good (not great) city.

I live in the West End which is a brilliant place to live, loads of bars, restaurants, good shops for all kinds of things, nice community and atmosphere. With all the work being done over the next 4-5 years along the Canal between Frog Island and Braustone Gate, including the Shires extension, the areas immediately around the existing city centre will improve massively.

Along with the work in the cultural quarter (the new theatre, old odeon, conversion of the warehouses around the area, refurb of the Mercury Bulilding etc) the city will be vastly different in 5 years time. Indeed, 10 years if not 5 years ago the city was far worse than it is now and its thanks to the work done by the City Council/Regeneration Comittee that its a vibrant multi cultural city with areas such as New Walk, Great Central Way, Abbey Park, Viccy Park, DMH, Castle Park, West End, Clarendon Park, Space Museum, Belgrave that are great to walk around and get to know.

Mates who live in other cities and visit love Leicester cause of things like Summer Sundae, Comedy Festival, Leicester Expo, the Leicester Market etc and the quality of bars and restaurants. Give it time then the shopping will be there as well.

Incidentally, London is not the great place to live that you might think. Its lonely, cold (socially), distant and hectic. Far better cities to live in are Leeds, Manchester, Bristol, Brighton even leicester in my opinion.

Incidentally, London is not the great place to live that you might think.  Its lonely, cold (socially), distant and hectic.  Far better cities to live in are Leeds, Manchester, Bristol, Brighton even leicester in my opinion.

148364[/snapback]

I never find the city distant at all. Despite the size of the city I feel a tangible sense of community almost wherever I am. As for being socially cold, it depnds where you go. The trendy bars of Soho and the West End are for toutists but I find places like Camdem and Brixton to have the most exciting and suprisingly intimate social scenes I have been too. (although I admit to being young and not brilliantly travelled)

In the end I think whever you live it is what you make of it. I have grown up in Luton which is on the face of it a shit hole. However, due to the friends I have made and the things I have got involved in I can't say I have not enjoyed my childhood/young adolescence.

Having been round the world and visited/worked in loads of cities across Europe, Asia, America, Australasia I still live in Leicester because its a good (not great) city.

I live in the West End which is a brilliant place to live, loads of bars, restaurants, good shops for all kinds of things, nice community and atmosphere.  With all the work being done over the next 4-5 years along the Canal between Frog Island and Braustone Gate, including the Shires extension, the areas immediately around the existing city centre will improve massively. 

Along with the work in the cultural quarter (the new theatre, old odeon, conversion of the warehouses around the area, refurb of the Mercury Bulilding etc) the city will be vastly different in 5 years time.  Indeed, 10 years if not 5 years ago the city was far worse than it is now and its thanks to the work done by the City Council/Regeneration Comittee that its a vibrant multi cultural city with areas such as New Walk, Great Central Way, Abbey Park, Viccy Park, DMH, Castle Park, West End, Clarendon Park, Space Museum, Belgrave that are great to walk around and get to know.

Mates who live in other cities and visit love Leicester cause of things like Summer Sundae, Comedy Festival, Leicester Expo, the Leicester Market etc and the quality of bars and restaurants.  Give it time then the shopping will be there as well.

148363[/snapback]

Well said Dunc. :D

Too many people on this forum seem to want to do Nottingham's job for them! :mad:

• 7 years later...

Leicester isn't a shithole. It's just boring and characterless, like a lot of places in Britain.

I can't believe someone in this thread thought Sheffield was nicer. Then again that was 8 years ago.

Having lived in both, I'm one of Leicester's biggest fans and have backed its corner a lot it has to be said Sheffield is much nicer.

thanks a lot...feel free to move out but no doubt your the sort who thinks everywhere is a shithole....

Nope I love Leicester but it is a shithole. Take the blue tinted glasses off and take a real look at how rundown and shabby it is. Our once superb indoor & outdoor market is not a patch on how it was 10-15yrs ago. There are to many empty units for rent and most of the center now is made up of fast food outlets, bookmakers, pawn shops and charity shops.

The only good thing left and the only reason why I go shopping is St Martins Sq.

• Like 1

Having lived in both, I'm one of Leicester's biggest fans and have backed its corner a lot it has to be said Sheffield is much nicer.

Haven't lived in Sheffield now since 2007 after spending 4 years there but I still think it's a much nicer place to be than Leicester and probably one of the better bigger cities in the UK. Both have their pros and cons, good areas and bad areas, but personally I have a big soft spot for Sheffield that I've just never managed to feel for Leicester.

Leicester will always be home and I love it dearly, but the City and the majority of the people that live there are horrible.

The City centre has gone backwards. Gallowtree Gate and Humberstone Gate are just disgusting. London Road is a disgrace. Makes me sad to say it but whenever I go back it really is a disappointment.

Leicester's not a dump

Look at the lady's rumps

and their front bumps, too

what's wrong with you?

clock tower's well cool

we got some really good schools

and swimming pools

with razor blades in

that city din

makes me shake a shaker woot

gonna bounce with me just bounce

come one let me hear you daddy

As an outsider looking in, I think it's quite a nice place. I think it's great that you can get from City Centre to a countryside/small village pub in about 15 minutes. And stop off for a friggin superb Indian on the way.

It's not as good as Liverpool but it's a pretty good place to live I'd say.