Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2017 at 13:58, Wookie said:

Gradually the eyesores are becoming less shit

It's a shame because there's some areas in the city that could become gems, St. Martin's Square proved this.

It's just a case of gradually undoing the work of the Council between the 60s and 80s.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

It's a shame because there's some areas in the city that could become gems, St. Martin's Square proved this.

It's just a case of gradually undoing the work of the Council between the 60s and 80s.

The worst thing is a lot of the shit buildings replaced striking ones

• Like 1

Fast becoming Knife City

Anti-knife crime campaigners have called for an "open and honest" debate about the best way to tackle the problem in Leicester.

In a film to be premiered in the city tomorrow night, the Leicester Anti-Knife Crime Campaign will call on the community and those in authority to come together to address the growth of a crime which has claimed eight lives in the city or county so far this year.

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/campaigners-call-for-open-and-honest-debate-about-knife-crime-in-leicester/story-30414984-detail/story.html#6u6AklzZ8Xf2yEPY.99

Man, 21, in stable condition after being found stabbed in Belgrave Gate, Leicester

By L_Steelyard  |  Posted: July 02, 2017

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/man-21-in-stable-condition-after-being-found-stabbed-in-belgrave-gate-leicester/story-30419738-detail/story.html#2Rl7e2IxlI7F5ejG.99

Could be worse. I don't believe there have been any drive-by shootings in Leicester, unlike our East Midland neighbours to the north. Even sleepy Shepton Mallet witnessed a shoot-out between rival drug dealers on New Year's Eve a few years ago. I just had a look for the story however it looks as though Somerset Live has deleted it - infamous 404 job.

A popular Leicester pub has announced it has closed its doors after a decade.

The Font in Gateway Street near De Montfort University's campus made the shock announcement on its Facebook page last night.

The venue is popular with students, visitors and staff from the nearby Leicester Royal Infirmary and other groups in the city including the cyclists from Critical Mass who have chosen it as a regular haunt.

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/popular-leicester-pub-the-font-closes-after-a-decade-in-city/story-30435975-detail/story.html#GeJjuFmdqq5i8XHR.99

1 hour ago, davieG said:

A popular Leicester pub has announced it has closed its doors after a decade.

The Font in Gateway Street near De Montfort University's campus made the shock announcement on its Facebook page last night.

The venue is popular with students, visitors and staff from the nearby Leicester Royal Infirmary and other groups in the city including the cyclists from Critical Mass who have chosen it as a regular haunt.

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/popular-leicester-pub-the-font-closes-after-a-decade-in-city/story-30435975-detail/story.html#GeJjuFmdqq5i8XHR.99

Heartbreaking, that. Genuinely great gaff.

• Like 1

Still a dump, well some of the people want it to be.

Fly-tipping in Thurcaston Road, Leicester

Fly-tipping in Thurcaston Road, Leicester

A child safety seat, chairs, toys, furniture panels and a fridge are among the latest rubbish items dumped at a fly-tipping hotspot in Leicester.

City wardens were called to the site, in Thurcaston Road, in the far north of the city, on Monday to deal with the mess.

It was reported by Abbey Lane resident Leighton Boyes, 40, who photographed the scene.

He said: "I often walk my dog , or go for a jog, along Thurcaston Road.

"I came across this rubbish on Sunday and reported it to the council.

"It's at a dead end in the road that leads to two properties and new housing.

"You wouldn't call it a beauty spot but it is popular with dog walkers.

"And it's a right mess.

"There is a fridge, chairs, child safety seat – all sorts.

"It looks like someone has just dumped a van load of rubbish from a house clearance instead of taking it to the tip."

He added: "The road had become notorious for fly-tipping and people are getting a bit fed up with it all.

"You don't know what's in there.

"There could be needles for example.

"It's certainly a potential health hazard."

A fridge dumped in Thurcaston Road

It is an offence under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 to fly-tip any material.

The person controlling the use of the vehicle involved, normally the registered keeper, can also be prosecuted.

This means it is possible for a prosecution to occur when only the vehicle, not the driver, is identifiable.

It is also an offence to pay anyone without a licence to dispose of your rubbish.

Anyone found guilty of fly-tipping can face a fine of up to £50,000 and up to five years in prison.

Local authorities in England deal with about 700,000 incidents of fly-tipping every year, costing taxpayers more than £36 million to remove.

A city council spokesman said: "Our cleansing team has now cleared this fly-tip.

"Anyone who wants to report fly-tipping to us can ring 0116 454 1001, or use our Love Leicester app."

Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/fly-tippers-leave-kid-s-car-seat-and-fridge-at-notorious-leicester-hot-spot/story-30438722-detail/story.html#GRy5KYeyYAw6XKCE.99

Having to apply for permits to take a van to the tip is always going to encourage fly tipping. I guess the cost of a dedicated free non-permit required tip for vans / commercial waste is more expensive than a cleaning team going round clearing crap up.

5 minutes ago, separator said:

Having to apply for permits to take a van to the tip is always going to encourage fly tipping. I guess the cost of a dedicated free non-permit required tip for vans / commercial waste is more expensive than a cleaning team going round clearing crap up.

Looks like most of the stuff in the 1st picture can go in a dustbin or easily be accepted at a recycling site.

39 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

Anyone here about the near riots in house of fraser with the local somalis going ape shit.

Threatening staff and other shoppers to get hold of the best sales deals.

Sale !!! ...    I'm getting my Somali fancy dress outfit out and I'm on my way ! ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2017 at 08:01, Rob1742 said:

Gallowtree Gate was a fabulous thriving shopping street in the 70's and 80's. Must have been 4/5 shoe shops that guaranteed the women would be shopping that street to death on a Saturday.

Its awful now, pop up shops nestled between the big stores, bringing the area down as landlords take what they can from whoever they can.

The issue is that retail has pushed towards the Highcross/Shires end of town. That's where the footfall is. Some folk will literally park car in the Highcross Car Park and never go outside. Basically every city only has so much space you can keep putting in decent shops. Birmingham for example is a total dump to certain parts of the city centre - particularly between Bullring and Colmore Row. 

Local authorities have to get innovative. I look at the likes of Manchester who did it well by having Northern Quarter and/or Spinningfields for example. 

• Like 1

It's simple. With shopping moving to the outskirts then the centre should be re-vitalised as pleasant housing with small local shops. Preferably limited residential car zone with underground secure parking for residents.

From the Melton Road side, towards and in Belgrave Gate in particular - that side of the city just looks dull and lacks any invite to those new to the city.

The area around The Haymarket and also where the clock tower is just looks so drab imo.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The issue is that retail has pushed towards the Highcross/Shires end of town. That's where the footfall is. Some folk will literally park car in the Highcross Car Park and never go outside. Basically every city only has so much space you can keep putting in decent shops. Birmingham for example is a total dump to certain parts of the city centre - particularly between Bullring and Colmore Row. 

Local authorities have to get innovative. I look at the likes of Manchester who did it well by having Northern Quarter and/or Spinningfields for example. 

I agree, you can either get it right, or get it wrong and we are fighting against a number of flawed decisions of the past. 

Cant help but feel apart from the Highcross and The Curve the City looks and feels poor.

There is plenty of money around the county, but we do not offer enough for these people to bring them into the City. There isn't a good enough product to get the wealthy in the City. They spend elsewhere. 

I was talking in length about this to a LCFC player the other week. He was shocked how bad the City was, mentioned that he may not have signed if he had knew what a place it was. He spent all his free time away from the City, visiting the likes of London, Oxford, Manchester etc and said the lack of high end retail and restaurants made it difficult to make it a home. 

I imagine it will be a deciding factor for many players who sign, and luckily in this instance and many others, the players don't have time to look at their surroundings before signing, so then find it quite difficult settling here.

Would have been different years ago, but these players have serious wealth and we don't offer anything in the City to help them spend it. 

Great shame as other Cities appear to have quarters that would appeal to the well off, but Leicester just appears pretty poor when you wander around it. 

42 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

From the Melton Road side, towards and in Belgrave Gate in particular - that side of the city just looks dull and lacks any invite to those new to the city.

The area around The Haymarket and also where the clock tower is just looks so drab imo.

Belgrave Gate revamp: Pictures of how £2m vision will look

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/golden-mile-revamp-pictures-how-220944

On 13/07/2017 at 20:13, separator said:

I live close to a fly tipping hotspot. Anything to hardcore, household waste or old caravans dumped completely filled with rubbish.

Without any shadow of a doubt this coincided with the cost changes at the local tip. 

Drove by a lorry the other night, looked suspicious, when we returned home it had dumped its load. Gutted I never took its reg number. 

On 24/07/2017 at 17:45, Rob1742 said:

I live close to a fly tipping hotspot. Anything to hardcore, household waste or old caravans dumped completely filled with rubbish.

Without any shadow of a doubt this coincided with the cost changes at the local tip. 

Drove by a lorry the other night, looked suspicious, when we returned home it had dumped its load. Gutted I never took its reg number. 

I dumped my load the other day road side. Filthy