davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

On 01/08/2020 at 09:51, davieG said:

Well it's not that.

There's a few walks near me that I've been using regularly and there's plenty of waste bins and dog bins. I've seen stuff dropped with in a metre or two of those bins and they're certainly not full. Then there's all the tree trimmings with poo bags hanging from them. There's whole section of the population who are just too lazy or ignorant to care.

For example just yesterday there's a swing gated entrance to a walk a 100 metres from my house with a waste bin at the entrance just inside there's a little wooded copse and lying there was a large pizza carton and a couple of drinks cans, not 2 metres from the bin.

Absolutely shocking!

I drove to Aldi at Meridian early yesterday morning and I noticed a group of volunteers that were litter picking on Lubbesthorpe Way - can't commend people like that enough they really are unsung heroes. After doing a small shop and driving back, it made me aware of just the sheer amount of rubbish along that road, it's a joke.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 03/08/2020 at 09:42, lcfc278 said:

Absolutely shocking!

I drove to Aldi at Meridian early yesterday morning and I noticed a group of volunteers that were litter picking on Lubbesthorpe Way - can't commend people like that enough they really are unsung heroes. After doing a small shop and driving back, it made me aware of just the sheer amount of rubbish along that road, it's a joke.

I've challenged lots of people who drop litter and you usually get told to fvck off or, if you don't like it, you pick it up. But the response that grates with me the most is, 'It gives someone a job'. Er no, most litter is collected by volunteers and I am sure they would be rather doing something else.

• Like 1
On 01/08/2020 at 09:20, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I maintain the city isn't a dump but Bede Park is an absolute state this morning. Canal needs a good bloody clear out between Belgrave and Frog Island in all, no good making it a feature if you can't make out the water through the rubbish.

Looked like they'd given it a drain and a good clean last weekend, long time coming tbqh

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I've challenged lots of people who drop litter and you usually get told to fvck off or, if you don't like it, you pick it up. But the response that grates with me the most is, 'It gives someone a job'. Er no, most litter is collected by volunteers and I am sure they would be rather doing something else.

Pick up their litter. Covertly follow them to their home. And post their litter through their letterbox.

If only we had the time.

On 01/08/2020 at 09:51, davieG said:

Then there's all the tree trimmings with poo bags hanging from them. There's whole section of the population who are just too lazy or ignorant to care.

Ive never understood why people do this. Surely the worst part of dealing with dog poo is actually picking it up and bagging it. If someones done this but then decides to hang it from a tree then they might as well leave it on the floor. Would rather deal with a dogshit minefield than a row of dogshit christmas trees.

• Like 1

I’m currently considering applying for a job in Leicester and moving back there. It’s a year long contract initially, with potentially a permanent contract after that if I choose to. I studied at Leicester uni but moved elsewhere for work these past few years. I haven’t got connections to any place atm so can pretty much pick to live wherever, but I do want to settle somewhere now.

Is this a bad idea? I didn’t enjoy living in Leicester before, got lots of racist comments in the street and constant harrassment from the neighbours kids. A friend from uni who has recently moved back to Leicester has told me that there seems to be a lot more violent crime about now and she’s been followed by chavs while walking back to her flat etc. Tbh I probably wouldn’t be considering it, if not for easier access to the football lol Suggestions of nicer places to live in the UK are welcome...

6 hours ago, brucey said:

I’m currently considering applying for a job in Leicester and moving back there. It’s a year long contract initially, with potentially a permanent contract after that if I choose to. I studied at Leicester uni but moved elsewhere for work these past few years. I haven’t got connections to any place atm so can pretty much pick to live wherever, but I do want to settle somewhere now.

Is this a bad idea? I didn’t enjoy living in Leicester before, got lots of racist comments in the street and constant harrassment from the neighbours kids. A friend from uni who has recently moved back to Leicester has told me that there seems to be a lot more violent crime about now and she’s been followed by chavs while walking back to her flat etc. Tbh I probably wouldn’t be considering it, if not for easier access to the football lol Suggestions of nicer places to live in the UK are welcome...

I lived in Nottingham for two years, then came back to Leicester for nine months last year, now I'm in another north-western city for work purposes. I can honestly say Leicester has very few redeeming qualities. The city centre is dead, crime is up, there seems to be a stabbing every other day, there's very little to do even in pre pandemic times and there's clearly a massive homeless/drug issue in the city. If you wanted to be in close proximity for the football then there's better options which are only an hour or so away max (I'm thinking Notts or Sheffield). I love Nottingham on the other hand, it's a different world. 

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, brucey said:

Perhaps there's something in this to entice you.

• Thanks 1

My missus is not a native of the East Midlands but has spent a fair bit of time in all three of the major cities through work and socially since she moved down with me. Nottingham is the only one of the three she said she'd never want to live in.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Lionator said:

I lived in Nottingham for two years, then came back to Leicester for nine months last year, now I'm in another north-western city for work purposes. I can honestly say Leicester has very few redeeming qualities. The city centre is dead, crime is up, there seems to be a stabbing every other day, there's very little to do even in pre pandemic times and there's clearly a massive homeless/drug issue in the city. If you wanted to be in close proximity for the football then there's better options which are only an hour or so away max (I'm thinking Notts or Sheffield). I love Nottingham on the other hand, it's a different world. 

I've found the nottm/leics thing fascinating for years. 

Nottm is undoubtedly more hipster. I dated a bird there last year who never could stop going on how great and trendy  it was and how uncool Leicester was.

Yet the quality of my leafy, suburban life pissed all over nottms redbrick suburban dreariness where bolting the door three times giarding against white trash neighbours is the norm....but all within reach of Sherwood's soya milk cappuccino served in a faux milk urn 

My uncool bitbnice neighbours, my garden, my cycle routes, my 30 min walk to bradgate.or..in the other direction my 30 min walk to a village pub in Ratby. My 30 min walk for edgier drinks.in a Portuguese cafe  on fosse rd. Not cool bit 30 mins nightime walk in any direction from Sherwood was a risky business

So yep, superficially, nottm is.cool. but quality.of.life is , imo, way off ours. 

6 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Funnily enough man on a similar note my ex was from Lincoln and she wasn't a fan of Nottingham at all, but thought Leicester was top tier.

I mean, go down New Walk from the station rather than Granby St, through Greyfriars, St Martins, Castle Gardens etc rather than past the clock tower - there's loads of lovely little nooks and crannies in Leicester and I'm under no illusion that it's some utopian paradise but folk seem to love putting it down. 

The city and it's shopping / nightlife / whatever people would like to improve isn't going to get any better if folk just dismiss it out of hand and don't visit or spend their cash there. 

Had it’s peaks and troughs but generally it’s improved massively in the last 5 years I’ve been going out. Outside of the homeless problem it tends to be DMU kids that cause most the issues when they’re about, but it’s never felt suspect going out in Leicester like I have in Brum or Notts. Hopefully with the Central Station slap up that area of towns picks up as well.

Was in town for the first time in 6 months or so this weekend and it looked alright to be fair. Walked from Narborough road to Western park and that area looked decent, then this morning took a walk through town back out again. Town was empty as you'd expect at 8.30 on a Sunday morning but all in all it looked alright. A lot less empty shops than you'd see down here atm. 

Went into town for the first time today with the family since lockdown ended. Highcross was alright and that but clock tower/gallowtree gate was particularly rough. Anyone got any idea what they’re doing to the floor around there? Swear it only got redone a few years ago? Stood outside Lush while the mrs chatted to the person working there and was approached by about 5 different guys asking for change in about 10 minutes. I suppose in a few ways that’s like town is back to normal? It was good to see people out and about again shopping and that. 

9 hours ago, Crashtoasted said:

Went into town for the first time today with the family since lockdown ended. Highcross was alright and that but clock tower/gallowtree gate was particularly rough. Anyone got any idea what they’re doing to the floor around there? Swear it only got redone a few years ago? Stood outside Lush while the mrs chatted to the person working there and was approached by about 5 different guys asking for change in about 10 minutes. I suppose in a few ways that’s like town is back to normal? It was good to see people out and about again shopping and that. 

Good to see that they're off furlough