Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
rico

The Beatles

Not sure if I can post videos because I'm on mobile but the best song is 'A Day In The Life' from Sgt Peppers. It sums up the songwriting partnership of Lennon and McCartney as well.

Lennon wrote the start and end but had no middle and McCartney was working on the basics of a song which described him getting ready for school but only had the middle. They put the two together and created one of the greatest songs ever.

The only impression they left on me was that they couldn't sing to save their lives!

Ok. Not sure where you get that from though... When they toured, the fans would be so loud, and without technology we have now, they had to shout.

For me though, John Lennon's voice was the best. It has that 'Ive done a hard day at work' feel to it... It makes me happy, it makes me sad. 

Music is all about words for me though. I love John Lennon and Bob Dylan (sidetracking a bit here) and for me, they are the two greatest songwriters. Dylan, for example, was never a good singer himself, but as a songwriter and poet you will struggle to find better (although I do think Lennon is up there with him).

In fact, this is one of Lennon's greatest songs ever. The music isn't that good, he's wrote better, but the words stand out to me. They are truly excellent...

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

One thing I've recently thought about The Beatles is this - how much better cover versions of their songs are. So, good song writers, nothing special in the performance department. I've always thought they were the most over-rated band in the world (not that they were rubbish, but they certainly weren't anywhere near the greatness many people give to them.)

• Like 1

Well, Lennon always said they were just a normal band who made it big. He was the one who could break away from it all, and did, I don't think he wanted all that post-Beatles stuff. As British songwriters, Lennon and McCartney are the greatest, although I personally think Lennon's songs are better than McCartney's, and as a lead guitarist, George Harrison is up there with the likes of Page, Clapton, Richards and Townshend.

It isn't a coincidence that they influenced David Bowie, Oasis, The Jam, Bob Dylan, T Rex etc. Some of the greatest artists ever. There hasn't been another band who have done so much in so little, lets not forget The Beatles were only around for 8 or 9 years. Every decent new band the appears get the label 'The new Beatles' but nobody has ever lived up to it. The songs will last forever, as above, so many songs get covered and I believe 'Yesterday' is the most covered song of all time.

Like every band, they have the bad songs, but generally the songs are excellent and will last forever, even the album tracks are good.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

One thing I've recently thought about The Beatles is this - how much better cover versions of their songs are. So, good song writers, nothing special in the performance department. I've always thought they were the most over-rated band in the world (not that they were rubbish, but they certainly weren't anywhere near the greatness many people give to them.)

THIS.

Dont like listening to them at all but Jacko's 'Come Together', Oasis with 'Helter Skelter' and 'I am the Walrus' and Hendrix's 'Day Tripper' and 'Sgt Pepper' are very listenable.

THIS.

Dont like listening to them at all but Jacko's 'Come Together', Oasis with 'Helter Skelter' and 'I am the Walrus' and Hendrix's 'Day Tripper' and 'Sgt Pepper' are very listenable.

Why look at the thread then?

Why look at the thread then?

Thread appeared next to one titled Rolling stones. Tried to click on that but as so often happens when on my iphone, it takes me to something else. On this occasion, twas The Beatles thread. Once in I thought i'd have a look at what people thought as getting alternative views is interesting to me. As a musician, i've often had conversations about the Beatles and what they mean to people and how highly they are regarded including their influence on other modern bands. My take has always been I dont like listening to them as I dont like the way they sound but do recognise that their songs through other artists I do enjoy and it was interesting to see someone with the same view hence my post.

If the thread title was 'Beatles Appreciation Thread - Keep out if you dont like the Beatles' I probably would have left straight away.

Just to add a tad of hypocricy I do like Dr Robert.

The Beatles went from Love Me Do to Tomorrow Never Knows in less time than it took the Stone Roses to record a follow up album. In terms of such a diverse and brilliant output in such a short space of time, definitely the best band of all time.

Exactly! All different songs with all different sounds. 'Love Me Do' (not one of my favourites if I'm honest) is your typical song about a girl, but then 'Tomorrow Never Knows' was the psychedelic part of them. 'Yesterday' is a very slow song/ballad in a way, to a short 'rock n roll' number like 'Im Down'. The songs are so diverse. 

Nobody had heard anything like The Beatles before, which is why they changed music. People were used to hearing standard classics and jazz, which is what the BBC generally played. 

Thread appeared next to one titled Rolling stones. Tried to click on that but as so often happens when on my iphone, it takes me to something else. On this occasion, twas The Beatles thread. Once in I thought i'd have a look at what people thought as getting alternative views is interesting to me. As a musician, i've often had conversations about the Beatles and what they mean to people and how highly they are regarded including their influence on other modern bands. My take has always been I dont like listening to them as I dont like the way they sound but do recognise that their songs through other artists I do enjoy and it was interesting to see someone with the same view hence my post.

If the thread title was 'Beatles Appreciation Thread - Keep out if you dont like the Beatles' I probably would have left straight away.

Just to add a tad of hypocricy I do like Dr Robert.

Fair play, I was only asking, it's your opinion.

The music, and especially lyrics, are so good though and even you said you can listen to them coveyed through another artist. 

Yeah 'Dr Robert' is one of my favourites as well :thumbup: