Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
rico

The Beatles

I love John Lennon and Bob Dylan (sidetracking a bit here) and for me, they are the two greatest songwriters. Dylan, for example, was never a good singer himself, but as a songwriter and poet you will struggle to find better (although I do think Lennon is up there with him).

Bob Dylan absolutely can sing. May not be the smoothest voice in the world but for expressiveness and character, you won't find better. Agreed he wouldn't win x-factor, but I know how I'd rather listen to between him and Shayne Ward.

As for Lennon being on a par as a song-writer with Dylan, I'm not even going to dignify that with a response. Both wrote good songs, but Dylan's are often multi-layered, deep, referencing and pulling in greats from the beat movement, the literary world, classical myth etc etc, Lennon does nothing of the sort. Dylan's songs were also deeply influential, being tied in to and used in and for various movements, some of which he'd have been aware of and had it in mind and some entirely accidental/manipulated.

Not a jibe at Lennon - but on a par with Dylan in any respect? Hahahahahaha.

I expect you actually enjoy it when moneybags McCartney pulls out the strained vocal chords for an off-key performance of Hey Jude at a packed national event in front of the eyes of the world right? (its just you).

• Like 2

Bob Dylan absolutely can sing. May not be the smoothest voice in the world but for expressiveness and character, you won't find better. Agreed he wouldn't win x-factor, but I know how I'd rather listen to between him and Shayne Ward.

As for Lennon being on a par as a song-writer with Dylan, I'm not even going to dignify that with a response. Both wrote good songs, but Dylan's are often multi-layered, deep, referencing and pulling in greats from the beat movement, the literary world, classical myth etc etc, Lennon does nothing of the sort. Dylan's songs were also deeply influential, being tied in to and used in and for various movements, some of which he'd have been aware of and had it in mind and some entirely accidental/manipulated.

I expect you actually enjoy it when moneybags McCartney pulls out the strained vocal chords for an off-key performance of Hey Jude at a packed national event in front of the eyes of the world right? (its just you).

I think you've got me totally wrong here. Firstly, I do not watch anything like the X factor. I hate them talent shows.

Also, I am a massive Bob Dylan fan, believe me when I say that. I'm guessing you are? I personally think he is a good singer as well, but I know he takes a lot of criticism. If you look at what I quoted, I said you'll struggle to find a better poet/songwriter. I love the lyrics to his songs, I think I can relate to almost all of his songs. I enjoy listening to the stories he writes as well, 'All Along The Watchtower' and '115th dream', for example.

On to John Lennon. He's actually my hero. All I said was 'he's up there with Dylan', which I think he is. You might not agree, but that's music. Lennon is probably the greatest British songwriter ever, and he certainly wrote the best songs in the Beatles. Half of the songs posted in this thread, are mainly Lennon songs. Believe me when I say how big of a Beatles fan I am. I've read most things, and my favourite book is a official Beatles book which tells me what every song is about and who wrote them.

Not sure why youd come to that conclusion at the end there. Do I enjoy watching McCartney? Yes. Do I get bored of 'Hey Jude'? A bit. It's not the Beatles best song, but it's more of their recognised songs and it gets the crowed every time. McCartney wrote it, but in terms of what he wrote, I'd much rather see him perform 'Lady Madonna' or 'The Night Before', but he's in his 70's now and those songs are too fast for him. Songs like 'Hey Jude' and 'The Long And Winding Road' are much slower, which is why we here them when he performs live on the tv.

Edited by Fox92

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDCu1UjezDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spjcPS4ekOA

and if your feeling in a trippy mood then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdPvN7HOLh8

Edit : White Album is my personal favourite

White Album is my favourite, too...'Yer Blues' is one of my favourite songs as well.

Just wanted to say I gave that rep by accident! Lennon is easily on par with Dyland

• Like 1

'Helter Skelter' was 27 minutes long but I don't think that version has ever been released. It's not on any of the Anthologies. 

Apparently its locked away in the vaults of Abbey Road studios. Interesting blog about Helter Skelter recording is here...

http://lifeofthebeatles.blogspot.co.uk/2008/06/never-ending-song-helter-skelter.html

One thing I've recently thought about The Beatles is this - how much better cover versions of their songs are. So, good song writers, nothing special in the performance department. I've always thought they were the most over-rated band in the world (not that they were rubbish, but they certainly weren't anywhere near the greatness many people give to them.)

I knew you'd come on and basically say ......"meh!"

Because it's true.

You've got to remember that nobody had heard anything like the Beatles before, they are one of the original rock bands. They were a different style of rock, and they really started the ball rolling for everyone else. Even the legend Bob Dylan changed from folk to rock-folk upon hearing the Beatles. 

They evolved from a squeaky clean mop-topped band singing about girls, to drug influenced rockers and their music just kept getting better and better. The thing that amazes me the most though, is that they did all this in less than 10 years!

I accept your opinion Trav, nobody will ever change that and rightly so. You're one of my favourite posters, but I always like to get my opinion across when someone disagrees with the Beatles (as you all know. You should see me go for it in real life!)

They wrote some of the best songs ever.... 'Let It Be', 'A Day In The Life', 'Ticket To Ride', 'Yesterday', 'All You Need Is Love' etc

You've got to remember that nobody had heard anything like the Beatles before, they are one of the original rock bands. They were a different style of rock, and they really started the ball rolling for everyone else. Even the legend Bob Dylan changed from folk to rock-folk upon hearing the Beatles. 

They evolved from a squeaky clean mop-topped band singing about girls, to drug influenced rockers and their music just kept getting better and better. The thing that amazes me the most though, is that they did all this in less than 10 years!

I accept your opinion Trav, nobody will ever change that and rightly so. You're one of my favourite posters, but I always like to get my opinion across when someone disagrees with the Beatles (as you all know. You should see me go for it in real life!)

They wrote some of the best songs ever.... 'Let It Be', 'A Day In The Life', 'Ticket To Ride', 'Yesterday', 'All You Need Is Love' etc

I don't think they were a poor band. As you say they wrote some great tunes, but I do think that there are a lot of people who say the Beatles were the best band in history just because they don't really know anything and just say what a lot of other people say, but then this happens with films, books, any artistic medium. I really like Please Please Me, it's a great pop album, but a lot of the stuff that follows I don't get too excited about. They were certainly influential and they did try different types of music - I quite like their more pyshedelic era stuff too. They are also responsible for one of the most dreadful dirges ever, Hey Jude. No song can stand that much nanananaing. Except the Banana Splits Theme.

I still stand by my, "cover versions of their songs are often better" comment though. I don't think they were any better than The Hollies, The Kinks, Gerry and the Pacemakers or many other bands of their time.

A Hard Day's Night and Help are my two favourite albums.

I think I actually prefer Paul's songs more than John's too on the whole - which I know is not a view shared by too many. If Lennon hadn't died I wonder if that would be the same...

'Help' is my favourite too, along with the 'White Album'.

I prefer Lennon's songs though. I know the debate can go on about 'if he was still alive', but I think McCartney's songs repeat more ('Hey Jude' and 'Hello Goodbye' are prime examples) than Lennon's, and even Harrison's. And I've always liked Lennon's voice more, it has a 'hard day at work' feel to it. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhHRaleljHE

Not the Beatles, but a live version of one of my favourite songs, 'Yer Blues'. Always makes me laugh seeing Lennon live with the lyrics on the sheet, despite writing songs he'd forget the lyrics lol Really though, I think 'Yer Blues' is another song which proves how underrated Lennon was as a lead guitarist (try and ignore Yoko on the clip).

There's another video where he plays it with Eric Clapton and Keith Richards, two of the greatest guitarists obviously. (And look at Keith's hair!!)

http://youtu.be/7vVJYnG8cBw

Edited by Fox92

Not the Beatles, but a live version of one of my favourite songs, 'Yer Blues'. Always makes me laugh seeing Lennon live with the lyrics on the sheet, despite writing songs he'd forget the lyrics lol Really though, I think 'Yer Blues' is another song which proves how underrated Lennon was as a lead guitarist (try and ignore Yoko on the clip).

There's another video where he plays it with Eric Clapton and Keith Richards, two of the greatest guitarists obviously. (And look at Keith's hair!!)

Its Mitch Mitchell on drums too from The Stones Rock and Roll circus. Brilliant supergroup.