Sign in to follow this  
rico

The Beatles

1 hour ago, spacemunky said:

Heard that lyric a million times and it always stood out to me. Had no idea where it came from.

Happy 75th to Sir Paul.

Lennon did that quite a lot. Some of the lyrics to Day In The Life were directly from a daily newspaper like 4000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire line which referred to potholes reported in the paper. I suppose a Day In The Life is more well known for that as the lyrics state 'I read the news today, oh boy' before listing things he'd read that day.

92, I may be teaching you how to 'suck eggs' here but if you're as into the Beatles as I am, which it seems you are, Hunter Davies authorised biography is worth a read if you come across it anywhere.

6 hours ago, Max Wall said:

Not too many bands you can do that with!

Well no, you can do that with any band if you're ok with their music. Can't remember the last time I skipped over anything on shuffle, but that's because I shuffle my music collection, and that's just got stuff I don't mind listening to in. 

1 hour ago, Max Wall said:

Lennon did that quite a lot. Some of the lyrics to Day In The Life were directly from a daily newspaper like 4000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire line which referred to potholes reported in the paper. I suppose a Day In The Life is more well known for that as the lyrics state 'I read the news today, oh boy' before listing things he'd read that day.

A Day In The Life.... the crash etc was about a member of the house of Lords, smashed his car in Chelsea (I think it was). He drove through a red light.... The song is all true. And yeah the last part is about the newspaper cutting as you say.

I saw the other day though, something very interested, the Royal Albert Hall wrote a letter to the Beatles asking them to change the lyrics which Lennon said no because "we like the lyrics".

I've got a good little book which tells you about what every song is about. There's a bit of fact from each member in there too. It's how I remember which songs are about what.

1 hour ago, Max Wall said:

92, I may be teaching you how to 'suck eggs' here but if you're as into the Beatles as I am, which it seems you are, Hunter Davies authorised biography is worth a read if you come across it anywhere.

Yeah, they're my favourite band, but I'm massively into them to the point of going into history and everything. I will take a look though cheers. I've heard about Davies. I've got a few books but not an authorized biography. 

Just now, Fox92 said:

Yeah, they're my favourite band, but I'm massively into them to the point of going into history and everything. I will take a look though cheers. I've heard about Davies. I've got a few books but not an authorized biography. 

In these days of media and multi-form availability there may be no massive revelations you don't already know. I seem to remember it being a good read though.

• Like 1