Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

The Smiths

http://www.nme.com/news/morrissey/74686#ijs80edsQWMfJI6g.99

Morrissey reveals he is writing a novel, and (more importantly) is also about to record a studio album! 

...which he will then sit on for a further two years, claiming that no record label will release it.

He really is a scamp

• 2 weeks later...

It's a two album deal, which surprises me a little.

Drummer Matt Walker is back, which is a good thing, but no return for Alain Whyte, which is not a good thing. I really liked Years of Refusal though, and there's no reason why they can't come up with something at least as good as that

Had a phenomenal Glastonbury moment to Johnny Marr, he played How Soon Is Now and There Is A Light, both just transcendental. What surprised me is that Johnny sang them so well. I've seen Moz live, also festival, about 7 years ago and it was a bit sad unfortunately. Doesn't change the majesty of the albums (and The Queen Is Dead is no.1 or thereabouts), which anyone who clicks with them will never be the same again.

I remember doing an hour set as an audition for an indie DJ slot-opened with the Queen is Dead (track rather than album) and they gave the job to me on the strength of that alone... lol

Adore The Smiths.

Ask, What She Said, Heaven Knows..., Unloveable, Hand In Glove. I could go on forever trying to pick my favourite.

Johnny Marr is a wizard.

Edited by Simi

I never got to see The Smiths but my first ever gig was Morrissey at De Montfort Hall in 1991.  It was five years (I think) since the last Smiths tour so to say the sense of anticipation was high would be an understatement.  It was absolutely mental, and basically every gig I've been to since has been a disappointment in comparison, as even though I've been to better performances by him and others, nothing has ever matched the outpouring of emotion on the part of the crowd there was that night.  Absolutely bonkers

I never got to see The Smiths but my first ever gig was Morrissey at De Montfort Hall in 1991.  It was five years (I think) since the last Smiths tour so to say the sense of anticipation was high would be an understatement.  It was absolutely mental, and basically every gig I've been to since has been a disappointment in comparison, as even though I've been to better performances by him and others, nothing has ever matched the outpouring of emotion on the part of the crowd there was that night.  Absolutely bonkers

I've looked at videos of his gigs, and never seen anything like it. Fans sing his name beforehand, it's like a football match. And the amount of people that jump up to touch him is ridiculous, and I've noticed that it's generally men. I want to see him if he ever tours in the UK again.

I've looked at videos of his gigs, and never seen anything like it. Fans sing his name beforehand, it's like a football match. And the amount of people that jump up to touch him is ridiculous, and I've noticed that it's generally men. I want to see him if he ever tours in the UK again.

Unfortunately they're a bit more of a sedate affair than this these days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azmOjnTg3Zg

My mate went to this, the lucky so and so.  It was free as well

• 2 weeks later...

Touring this year!

The second best (in my opinion) solo Morrissey album, Your Arsenal, is re-released in remastered form on 24 February with a DVD of a previously unreleased concert from 1991.

Unusually, he hasn't arsed about with the track listing or randomly substituted good songs for shitter ones as has been the case with some of his rereleases, the only change I'm aware of being the original version of 'Tomorrow' being substituted for the slightly more upfront US version, which I don't think most people would notice.

I bought it on the day of release in 1992 and I still love it now

Tom Jones and Cliff Richard to appear with Morrissey   :unsure:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26167656

I can still be surprised by things, even at this late hour.

Big old venues he's playing on that tour.  You can't blame him for moaning about the lack of acknowledgement by the UK media of his popularity overseas, but at the same time, does it really matter?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Listening to them right now. Always sounds so fresh and current. Strange really

I listen to them a hell of a lot.

They're one of those bands you just can't get bored listening to, it's hard to explain.

• 4 weeks later...