Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

The Smiths

5 hours ago, Karljohn said:

Off to Brum town hall in December for book signing/interview. 

Was hoping he'd come to Sheffield. Obviously not. 

Can't make the Manchester one because we're at home the same day. 

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 18:09, purpleronnie said:

Got the book today, only read 100 pages but Marr loves music, clothes, football and hates Maggie thatcher.  A good start.;)

Well I enjoyed it.  More direct than Morrissey's, no real revelations apart from the Morrissey meeting. Like the Morrissey book I found the early parts of the book the most interesting.  Pretty incredible how focused he was at such an early age. 

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 12:18, purpleronnie said:

Well I enjoyed it.  More direct than Morrissey's, no real revelations apart from the Morrissey meeting. Like the Morrissey book I found the early parts of the book the most interesting.  Pretty incredible how focused he was at such an early age. 

I've just bought my lad his first guitar - he's not 5 yet.  I'm totally living out my failed Johnny Marr fantasies through him, which presumably can only end in disaster

• Like 1

Got Marr's book and signed. as for favourite Smiths tracks now that's difficult - here's a few off teh top of my head and in no order:

Jean

Rubbing ring

Meat is murder

There is a light

Back to the old House

Girl afraid

Cemetry gates (sic)

I don't owe you anything

Never had no one ever

death of a disco dancer

Last night I dreamt

I wont share you

Half a person

Please please please..

What difference does it make

Just seen this thread. Love the Smiths. Top 10 Smiths songs in no particular order:

The Death of a Disco Dancer

What Difference does it Make?

Stop Me If You Think You've Heard this one Before

Bigmouth Strikes Again

How Soon Is Now?

Barbarism Begins at Home

The Queen is Dead

The Headmaster Ritual

That Joke Isn't Funny Any More

London

Don't think much of Morrissey or Marr's solo stuff but Suedehead is a fantastic song.

• 9 months later...
53 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Morrissey's new single. Wasn't sure at first but after a couple of listens I love it now

It's growing on me. The new stuff has put me back onto his older solo stuff.

Loving Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself, The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get and The National Front Disco.

I like his older solo stuff - particularly National Front Disco, You're Gunna Need Someone On Your Side and Everyday Is Like Sunday - but his recent stuff ain't as impressive. I bought World Peace [...] the day it was released but quickly sold it. Didn't really enjoy it. Your Arsenal and You Are The Quarry are superb albums, but I enjoy Marr's solo work much more.

I see his Morrissey recently joined Twitter too. I presume it's his management staff.

Edited by Fox92

World Peace... is probably my joint favourite solo Moz album. It's certainly for me by far the best of his post 'comeback' albums (those that he's released since the 7 year gap from 1997).

Johnny Marr remains a frustrating figure for me. One of the most gifted - possibly the most gifted - guitarists there is, but cannot sing for toffee or write lyrics that are much cop either. It's annoying, as I should think practically anybody would work with him, given the chance. Then again, he's earned the right to do what the heck he likes, I guess

• 3 weeks later...

Adam Buxton has got round to releasing his podcast where he interviews Johnny Marr.  The interview actually took place about a year ago and coincided with the release of Marr's book, so there is probably some crossover in content (I've not actually got round to reading it yet) but the podcast is really good, particularly if, like me, you're interested in how songs come about and records get made

• Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 09:27, Fox92 said:

Morrissey was on Jools Holland. Did anybody else watch it?

Spent The Day in bed is growing on me.

Yes its definitely a grower, although I couldn't do it, even though I'm self employed, I have stopped watching the news though, just need a quiff.

On 11/10/2017 at 12:25, Bellend Sebastian said:

Adam Buxton has got round to releasing his podcast where he interviews Johnny Marr.  The interview actually took place about a year ago and coincided with the release of Marr's book, so there is probably some crossover in content (I've not actually got round to reading it yet) but the podcast is really good, particularly if, like me, you're interested in how songs come about and records get made

Love Buckles and Marr so it was definitely going to be a winner. I just wish I didn't get the bloody jingles stuck in my head for a week.