Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Oasis

8 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Was it a good gig in the end?

6 hours ago, Samilktray said:

No it was a shambles but the performance itself was decent enough 

The event as a whole was the worst I've ever been to.

No bar staff. I think I queued for nearly 2 hours at one point. The staff that were there were bloody useless. Made those who are employed at the King Power look professional.

Missed most of the support. Luckily saw DMAs who I think were / are great.

Thought Liam was great though. Saw Oasis a number of times and his voice is was certainly better this time round compared to some of the times I saw him with Oasis.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Oasis are a funny one for me.  As "banter" I always say I hate them but that's not quite true.  I was the right age for Britpop (about 14/15 at its peak) and at the time I was a Blur fan so always hated Oasis.  I tended to like the less "laddy" Britpop stuff so wasn't keen on Oasis or The Verve, etc (or, more recently, Kasabian).  it always seemed a bit white, fratboyish.  As I have aged though I can look back on them with a sense of fondness and nostalgia and admit that they are not as bad as I used to think.  I saw the recent documentary on them and suddenly found myself quite liking them (like my Dad started to like some of the more shitty Glam Rock bands he used to hate when he was younger but now longs for).  I still am not a fan and think they are massively overrated but can happily listen to them and I always find myself agreeing with Noel whenever I see him interviewed.

X

• Like 2

Probably the first band I ever got into when I was like nine/ten. It's not at all the type of thing I'd listen to now though. One thing I find quite interesting about them is that when they start playing they just sound like a pub band, but as soon as Liam Gallagher starts singing they sound like this band that could pack out stadiums. 

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Everybody takes its influence from somebody else, Oasis are no different in that respect 

There's a subtle infusion of influences or homage to a genre to a greater or lesser extent - and then there's blatant unoriginality bordering on plagiarism. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 20/09/2018 at 18:13, RumbleFox said:

Oasis are a funny one for me.  As "banter" I always say I hate them but that's not quite true.  I was the right age for Britpop (about 14/15 at its peak) and at the time I was a Blur fan so always hated Oasis.  I tended to like the less "laddy" Britpop stuff so wasn't keen on Oasis or The Verve, etc (or, more recently, Kasabian).  it always seemed a bit white, fratboyish.  As I have aged though I can look back on them with a sense of fondness and nostalgia and admit that they are not as bad as I used to think.  I saw the recent documentary on them and suddenly found myself quite liking them (like my Dad started to like some of the more shitty Glam Rock bands he used to hate when he was younger but now longs for).  I still am not a fan and think they are massively overrated but can happily listen to them and I always find myself agreeing with Noel whenever I see him interviewed.

X

Loved Oasis.  I think they need putting into context.  At that time, the pervading pop scene was reconstituted Stock Aitken Waterman music subsitute.  I was crying out for a guitar band again having grown up listening to 60s bands like the Beatles and Stones.  Oasis came along as the vainguard of brit pop.  I loved it.

I saw that documentary you mention.  My god, they are are bigger bunch of muthaflippers than I remember.  I had to turn it off cus I couldn't stand another moment in their company.  Great band though, I mean I like the Sex Pistols but I wouldn't want them popping round for tea.

On 21/10/2018 at 00:47, Line-X said:

Oasis - "original"? :blink:lollollollol

This is an undeserved stigma that is attached to Oasis.  Each and every song is original.  It doesn't matter what style the music is in.  Don't believe me?  Try writing an oasis style anthem yourself.

Edited by murphy

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Loved Oasis.  I think they need putting into context.  At that time, the pervading pop scene was reconstituted Stock Aitken Waterman music subsitute.  I was crying out for a guitar band again having grown up listening to 60s bands like the Beatles and Stones.  Oasis came along as the vainguard of brit pop.  I loved it.

There were many guitar bands around at that time within a variety of genres. The Britpop farce was simply part of a wider marketing bandwagon that was conveniently rolling by as opposed to being a sound of its own. As much as there were some great interesting bands loosely associated with the movement, plagiarism and unoriginality was rife. Oasis were simply an uninspiring paint by numbers formulaic, derivative bunch of knuckle dragging neanderthals off the Burnage Housing Estate with an unhealthy obsession for the Beatles. They became emblematic of the laddo culture and the soundtrack of the FHM generation accustomed to dance music and that didn't know any better.  They filled a commercial void hence their largely vacuous following.

1 hour ago, murphy said:

This is an undeserved stigma that is attached to Oasis.  Each and every song is original.  It doesn't matter what style the music is in.  Don't believe me?  Try writing an oasis style anthem yourself.

Involving similarly recycling a Beatles, Stones or TRex riff?

Criminally overrated band. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Line-X said:

There were many guitar bands around at that time within a variety of genres. The Britpop farce was simply part of a wider marketing bandwagon that was conveniently rolling by as opposed to being a sound of its own. As much as there were some great interesting bands loosely associated with the movement, plagiarism and unoriginality was rife. Oasis were simply an uninspiring paint by numbers formulaic, derivative bunch of knuckle dragging neanderthals off the Burnage Housing Estate with an unhealthy obsession for the Beatles. They became emblematic of the laddo culture and the soundtrack of the FHM generation accustomed to dance music and that didn't know any better.  They filled a commercial void hence their largely vacuous following.

Involving similarly recycling a Beatles, Stones or TRex riff?

Criminally overrated band. 

Well I can largely agree with you on some of your points, they were colossal nobs, but talented nobs.  

I can't agree with the plagiarism tag though.  They followed the classic lead,rythm, bass, drums line up but which Beatles or Stones riffs did they recycle?  Anyway, coming up with a riff is nothing special.  If you have ever tried to write an original song (and as a frustrated and not very good guitarist myself, I have) then you will know it is not easy.  Every band or musician has it's inspiration in what has come before.

The style, be it any genre you care to mention is not important, you're still starting with a blank piece of paper and turning that into something that is original by definition.

I think it is very dismisissive to write them off as formulaic, Noel was one of the best songwriters of his generation with a speciality in anthems.   It bugs me that this derivative tag gets applied to Oasis more than any other guitar bands since the sixties including T-Rex that you mention.  Now they really were three chord wonders.  And why aren't the Stones written off for ripping off their Blues heroes?

That britpop thing produced Oasis, Blur, Suede, Pulp, The Verve, Primal Scream,The Charlatans it was a great time.  I see originality there.  You mentioned that there were some 'great interesting bands loosely associated' with britpop.  Out of interest, who did you have in mind?

Edited by murphy
  • Like 3

I am a Noel Gallagher fan but Oasis are overrated. Much prefer High Flying Birds, especially their latest album which is different to what he's written before.

That's the problem with Oasis for me, everything sounds the same, it's not like listening to Blur where they constantly reinvented and every album sounds different. But this is just for me - the best thing about the Beatles, as an example because they are my favourite band, is that every album sounded different.

As I said though I do like Noel Gallagher and I'm not doubting his ability as a songwriter - the words to 'Little By Little' and 'Stop Crying Your Heart Out' are both fantastic but he has been known to directly pinch other lyrics. "Gonna start a revolution from my bed because they say the brains I have went to my head" is directly taken from John Lennon but I'll let that pass :D 

Edited by Fox92

15 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I am a Noel Gallagher fan but Oasis are overrated. Much prefer High Flying Birds, especially their latest album which is different to what he's written before.

That's the problem with Oasis for me, everything sounds the same, it's not like listening to Blur where they constantly reinvented and every album sounds different. But this is just for me - the best thing about the Beatles, as an example because they are my favourite band, is that every album sounded different.

As I said though I do like Noel Gallagher and I'm not doubting his ability as a songwriter - the words to 'Little By Little' and 'Stop Crying Your Heart Out' are both fantastic but he has been known to directly pinch other lyrics. "Gonna start a revolution from my bed because they say the brains I have went to my head" is directly taken from John Lennon but I'll let that pass :D 

Is it?  I know it's referring to Lennon's bed peace stunt but which song does it come from?

I love the Beatles too, Lennon in particular, but he nicked lyrics straight from a poster (Mr. Kite) and from a newspaper (Day in the life).  Doesn't detract though in any way for both Oasis and The Beatles IMO.  

6 minutes ago, murphy said:

Is it?  I know it's referring to Lennon's bed peace stunt but which song does it come from?

I love the Beatles too, Lennon in particular, but he nicked lyrics straight from a poster (Mr. Kite) and from a newspaper (Day in the life).  Doesn't detract though in any way for both Oasis and The Beatles IMO.  

It's from tapes that he never released or something. Obviously there will have been material for new songs prior to his death. The quote on wiki "I got this tape in the United States that had apparently been burgled from the Dakota Hotel and someone had found these cassettes. Lennon was starting to record his memoirs on tape. He's going on about 'trying to start a revolution from me bed, because they said the brains I had went to my head.' I thought 'Thank you, I'll take that'" lol 

The only lyrics Lennon nicked were the opening line of Come Together which he got done for Taking ideas from newspapers and posters isn't nicking otherwise every song ever would be "stolen".

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

It's from tapes that he never released or something. Obviously there will have been material for new songs prior to his death. The quote on wiki "I got this tape in the United States that had apparently been burgled from the Dakota Hotel and someone had found these cassettes. Lennon was starting to record his memoirs on tape. He's going on about 'trying to start a revolution from me bed, because they said the brains I had went to my head.' I thought 'Thank you, I'll take that'" lol 

The only lyrics Lennon nicked were the opening line of Come Together which he got done for Taking ideas from newspapers and posters isn't nicking otherwise every song ever would be "stolen".

Well he didn't pinch actual lyrics then?  And at least Noel was honest about his dishonesty.  I prefer to think of it as homage.

I think BFTBO Mr Kite was actually written down verbatim from a poster which is why I say he nicked it rather than took inspiration from it  It doesn't matter, I only made the point to say that it's really not a big deal.  It happens all the time. 

Edited by murphy

4 hours ago, murphy said:

Well I can largely agree with you on some of your points, they were colossal nobs, but talented nobs.  

I can't agree with the plagiarism tag though.  They followed the classic lead,rythm, bass, drums line up but which Beatles or Stones riffs did they recycle?  Anyway, coming up with a riff is nothing special.  If you have ever tried to write an original song (and as a frustrated and not very good guitarist myself, I have) then you will know it is not easy.  Every band or musician has it's inspiration in what has come before.

The style, be it any genre you care to mention is not important, you're still starting with a blank piece of paper and turning that into something that is original by definition.

I think it is very dismisissive to write them off as formulaic, Noel was one of the best songwriters of his generation with a speciality in anthems.   It bugs me that this derivative tag gets applied to Oasis more than any other guitar bands since the sixties including T-Rex that you mention.  Now they really were three chord wonders.  And why aren't the Stones written off for ripping off their Blues heroes?

That britpop thing produced Oasis, Blur, Suede, Pulp, The Verve, Primal Scream,The Charlatans it was a great time.  I see originality there.  You mentioned that there were some 'great interesting bands loosely associated' with britpop.  Out of interest, who did you have in mind?

Thanks for the response and I do concede that my synopsis of Oasis is somewhat scathing.

Oasis material is replete with recycled concepts, riffs, lyrics, largely of Beatles derivation - even the look. 

This is a reasonable summary...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/no-regrets-as-oasis-admit-they-stole-tunes-1297147.html

But it doesn't really need an article given that it is so blatant. As acrimonious as it obviously is, the Gallaghers even accuse themselves as stealing of each other.

Britpop was peppered with law suits. In respect of Oasis I guess the worst offender was "Whatever" for which Neil Innes was justly rewarded royalties. Noel, who has always struck me as having more in the way of integrity than Liam has conceded that much of their material was "unconsciously plagiarised" which clearly wasn't always the case. Elastica were rightly sued by both Wire and the Stranglers and the theft of Andrew Loog Oldham's scoring of "The Last Time" by the Verve is ridiculous. 

I'm sorry, I see very little in the way of originality in "Oasis, Blur, Suede, Pulp, The Verve, Primal Scream,The Charlatans" - Doen't mean I don't necessarily like them. Bernard Butler, Nick McCabe, Graham Coxon - all great innovative guitarists...Noel? Not so much mate.

Primal Scream??? Are you serious? When Gillespie elected to appropriate the Rolling Stones template circa 1972 - they failed tragically. Evil Heat is a borderline caricature of "Exile" at best. 

22 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Thanks for the response and I do concede that my synopsis of Oasis is somewhat scathing.

Oasis material is replete with recycled concepts, riffs, lyrics, largely of Beatles derivation - even the look. 

This is a reasonable summary...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/no-regrets-as-oasis-admit-they-stole-tunes-1297147.html

But it doesn't really need an article given that it is so blatant. As acrimonious as it obviously is, the Gallaghers even accuse themselves as stealing of each other.

Britpop was peppered with law suits. In respect of Oasis I guess the worst offender was "Whatever" for which Neil Innes was justly rewarded royalties. Noel, who has always struck me as having more in the way of integrity than Liam has conceded that much of their material was "unconsciously plagiarised" which clearly wasn't always the case. Elastica were rightly sued by both Wire and the Stranglers and the theft of Andrew Loog Oldham's scoring of "The Last Time" by the Verve is ridiculous. 

I'm sorry, I see very little in the way of originality in "Oasis, Blur, Suede, Pulp, The Verve, Primal Scream,The Charlatans" - Doen't mean I don't necessarily like them. Bernard Butler, Nick McCabe, Graham Coxon - all great innovative guitarists...Noel? Not so much mate.

Primal Scream??? Are you serious? When Gillespie elected to appropriate the Rolling Stones template circa 1972 - they failed tragically. Evil Heat is a borderline caricature of "Exile" at best. 

Well I've read the article and it strikes me that Noel is being mischievous claiming to have had two songs out of All The Young Dudes and playing up to it a bit,  As for The Verve, The Stones took them for every penny of their Bittersweet Symphony royalties I believe which was a bit mean-spirited.  That was an actual sample taken without permission, I don't know why they didn't just ask, sampling happens all the time, but it's not quite the same as the 'derivative' argument.  As for Primal Scream, I'm not sure I've actually heard 'Evil Heat', s'pose I must have,  but wasn't 'Exile' itself the most derivative of all the Stones albums?  Brilliant album though.

I think that you've made your points and I've made mine and we will agree to differ, but I'm still interested to know which guitar bands you were thinking of that you called interesting and great and loosely tagging onto britpop.

I loved Britpop at the time, really felt like "my music" as I was the right age but I must in admit in hindsight 90% of it was highly unoriginal and not really the greatest.  I will always have a soft spot for it but I can only think of very few of the "Britpop" bands that really stand the test of time.  Still think of it very fondly just rather have it in my memory than listen to it now.  X