Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfanazer

Oasis

171 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Noel was the genius, yeah - that's why Liam cannot cope alone and always talks of an Oasis reuinion. (As with every band, a reunion would ruin it for me).

 

I listened to Beady Eye a bit but that's it. Never bought an album.

 

I've got both High Flying Bird albums though. Noel isn't a great singer or a great frontman but as a songwriter he's up there - not as a true great but certainly at a good level.

2

I'd actually disagree with that, I think he's a great singer, not got the power but his acoustic versions of songs are amazing. 

 

Also, surely he's not far from being a 'true great'? Live Forever, Don't Look Back in Anger and If I Had a Gun are absolutely quality.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boring song from a boring bloke.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 1/20/2014 at 16:49, foxfanazer said:

Not everybody's cup of tea but are there any fans on here?

Favourite song?

Mine is Slide Away.......epic tune

I was 26, I think, when I bought a music magazine with a free CD on the front of assorted artists and the last song was Slide Away. I loved it immediately from the opening bar. For people not as old as me, they came along when there had been a complete dearth of 'heavier' sounding bands and felt fresh in the same way the Pistols sounded when they came out (and I really don't think I'm overplaying that).  ey also released CD singles which usually had 3 additional songs, none of which were on albums which was a huge bonus at the time. The 1st and 2nd albums were great and I saw them live 4 times during those early years, the highlight of which was a gig on the banks of Loch Lomond. The quality of their output dwindled after that for me. Whilst there were the odd gems after that they were few and far between (IMO). I think they probably should have gone their separate ways a little earlier. In the mid nineties though, they were a breath of fresh air.


Edited by Max Wall
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2014 at 18:06, Bellend Sebastian said:

Oasis are a funny one for me, because although I own everything they did up until 'Be Here Now', I can honestly say I never ever listen to their stuff and cannot imagine that I ever will again.

 

I was in my first year at university when they broke through and even though everything about them is pretty much at odds with what I would normally like, it was difficult, if not impossible, to get swept up in all the hype.

 

The high water mark was that 'Whatever' single - it was exciting because, without wanting to sound too romantic about it, it was a 'proper' band breaking through and in the days when the charts still mattered, it was exciting to see 'your boys' challenging for spoils with the usual crap.  Going to buy that Oasis single and hoping it would be Christmas number one was quite an event - maybe it's just because I'm old now and don't get as enthused by this stuff anymore, or pop culture has become fragmented and the attention of those that might be interested is spread all over the place now, but stuff like this just doesn't seem to happen these days.

 

Of course, Oasis got a lot bigger from there, but I don't think they were ever quite the same after that.  The magic evaporated pretty quickly, the drugs take hold and the songs get longer and longer and the shows get bigger and bigger and more reliant on lager.  History has been re-written to some extent - 'What's the Story...' wasn't nearly as well received by the press as 'Definitely Maybe', but after the former sold millions it was suddenly apparently album of the year, and then 'Be Here Now' comes out to universal acclaim, a record that I'm not sure is genuinely liked by anyone.  By that point though the legend had been created, and even if they struggled to sell that many albums after that, selling out shows never seemed to be a problem.

 

Actually, during that post I've become a bit nostalgic and I reckon I might even rip Definitely Maybe so I can listen to it on ye olde mp3 player - and 'Whatever' at the same time.  But that's yer lot

Apologies for disagreement but Be Here Now was absolutely panned from the moment it was released.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2016 at 20:51, Wymeswold fox said:

Best UK band of all time imo.

Better quality music than One Direction, who I think are successful as they are mainly because they are considered 'fit' by their largely female fans whilst their songs are average.

Sorry, couldn't help but lol

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2017 at 12:40, foxfanazer said:

Talk tonight and cast no shadow are underrated songs

Cast no shadow is about Richard Ashcroft isn't it? Or is that an urban myth?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Max Wall said:

Apologies for disagreement but Be Here Now was absolutely panned from the moment it was released.

Well, I waited until I'd bought it, got it home and attempted to listen to it a couple of times before I wrote it off, but the reviews were rapturous and it flew off the shelves for a while at least.

 

Interviews here with some of those responsible:

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2016/oct/06/flattened-by-the-cocaine-panzers-the-toxic-legacy-of-oasiss-be-here-now

 

I might put it on later, just for a laugh. See how far I can get through it

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Max Wall said:

Apologies for disagreement but Be Here Now was absolutely panned from the moment it was released.

Afraid it wasn't, it was genuinely heralded as Revolver for the 90's (im not kidding)

 

5/5 Q

5/5 Select

5/5 Uncut

4/5 Rolling Stone (which is usually quite snobby)

 

It was a mad period but general consensus is the media we're trying to make up for getting it so wrong with Morning Glory

 

It didn't take long for the fan backlash however and the press duly followed suit

 

I love the album though

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Staffs Fox said:

Afraid it wasn't, it was genuinely heralded as Revolver for the 90's (im not kidding)

 

5/5 Q

5/5 Select

5/5 Uncut

4/5 Rolling Stone (which is usually quite snobby)

 

It was a mad period but general consensus is the media we're trying to make up for getting it so wrong with Morning Glory

 

It didn't take long for the fan backlash however and the press duly followed suit

 

I love the album though

 

 

Apologies for my error. I seem to have rewritten history lol Maybe it was the disappointment of getting it home and listening to it after enjoying the first two albums so much that makes me remember it that way.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Max Wall said:

Apologies for my error. I seem to have rewritten history lol Maybe it was the disappointment of getting it home and listening to it after enjoying the first two albums so much that makes me remember it that way.

Ha that's ok, most the media have tried to bury their original reviews and rewrite history

 

I'm more Rock than 'indie' and got into Oasis because they sounded raw and energetic that's why I loved Be Here Now because it sounded closer to Definitely Maybe whereas Morning Glory was too pop and soft for me

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Staffs Fox said:

Ha that's ok, most the media have tried to bury their original reviews and rewrite history

 

I'm more Rock than 'indie' and got into Oasis because they sounded raw and energetic that's why I loved Be Here Now because it sounded closer to Definitely Maybe whereas Morning Glory was too pop and soft for me

I hear you.

I'm more inclined towards rock myself, haven't listened to it for over a decade, maybe I should give it another whirl. Really liked the opener when it was released as the first single but remember being really disappointed with the rest. I thought they'd developed from first album to second and thought it was a backward step at the time.


Edited by Max Wall
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

I hear you.

I'm more inclined towards rock myself, haven't listened to it for over a decade, maybe I should give it another whirl. Really liked the opener when it was released as the first single but remember being really disappointed with the rest. I thought they'd developed from first album to second and thought it was a backward step at the time.

I'd give it another listen, it was hyped up to such an extent it was impossible to live up,

 

Its an odd album however and utterly bizarre that they weren't stopped from realeasing it.

the most anticipated album in history is 70+mins long, has 4 tracks over 7 mins long, is louder than a jumbo jet and sounds likes it's been mixed by a drunk man with hearing issues but I still love it

 

Dyou Know What I Mean?, Fade In-Out (scream on an Oasis album!), My Big Mouth (heaviest they ever went) are as mad as a bag of monkeys but it also has Stand By Me, Don't Go Away and All Around The World which are just great songs

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Staffs Fox said:

I'd give it another listen, it was hyped up to such an extent it was impossible to live up,

 

Its an odd album however and utterly bizarre that they weren't stopped from realeasing it.

the most anticipated album in history is 70+mins long, has 4 tracks over 7 mins long, is louder than a jumbo jet and sounds likes it's been mixed by a drunk man with hearing issues but I still love it

 

Dyou Know What I Mean?, Fade In-Out (scream on an Oasis album!), My Big Mouth (heaviest they ever went) are as mad as a bag of monkeys but it also has Stand By Me, Don't Go Away and All Around The World which are just great songs

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It'll  be played on the drive to work this week. Mrs won't be happy but women, you can't live with them and you can't live with them...............

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Max Wall said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It'll  be played on the drive to work this week. Mrs won't be happy but women, you can't live with them and you can't live with them...............

 

If you have the time, also listen to Noel's rethink of D'You Know What I Mean, it's how he would have wanted it to sound now with strings etc and it sounds brilliant.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be Here Now has some great tunes on it. I really like D'You Know What I Mean, Stand By Me, The Girl In The Dirty Shirt, Don't Go Away, Be Here Now and All Around The World. But the album as a whole could've been so much better.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stand By Me is one of my favourite Oasis songs tbh.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be Here Now was the last Oasis album I bought. Loved them before that. But I prefer BHN to Morning Glory. 

Just compared the 2016 NG version of D'you know what I mean with the original. Original wins - the orchestral stuff loses the menace of the original sound.

Plus, loved the video and, dear God, Liam was just the coolest m*oth*r****er alive at this point

 


Edited by toddybad
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Be Here Now was the last Oasis album I bought. Loved them before that. But I prefer BHN to Morning Glory. 

Just compared the 2016 NG version of D'you know what I mean with the original. Original wins - the orchestral stuff loses the menace of the original sound.

Plus, loved the video and, dear God, Liam was just the coolest m*oth*r****er alive at this point

 

How come you didn't buy any of the other albums? Yeah they're nowhere near as good, but they still have a few great tunes on them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ian W LCFC said:

How come you didn't buy any of the other albums? Yeah they're nowhere near as good, but they still have a few great tunes on them.

Around '97 (I was 17) and the release of OK Computer I moved to Radiohead. I tended to get super into one band and it changed. I did like some of the singles after that but they just lost my attention I guess. 


Edited by toddybad
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, toddybad said:

Be Here Now was the last Oasis album I bought. Loved them before that. But I prefer BHN to Morning Glory. 

Just compared the 2016 NG version of D'you know what I mean with the original. Original wins - the orchestral stuff loses the menace of the original sound.

Plus, loved the video and, dear God, Liam was just the coolest m*oth*r****er alive at this point

 

Not while Paul Weller was  around ;)  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.