Jump to content
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

What does "mark as spam" for emails actually achieve?I do this everyday but I still keep getting the same shit everyday.

Can't you block the email address that sends you the spam mail?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

How?

Who is your email account with?

 

When I see some company sending me spam, I would click on the message to open it, and on the top right you see 'More' and then 'block sender' - although this is based on personal experience when using Gmail.

 

If you're on Microsoft Outlook: Open the email message, and at the Home tab area at the top, you click on 'Junk' and then click on 'Block Sender'.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Who is your email account with?

 

When I see some company sending me spam, I would click on the message to open it, and on the top right you see 'More' and then 'block sender' - although this is based on personal experience when using Gmail.

 

If you're on Microsoft Outlook: Open the email message, and at the Home tab area at the top, you click on 'Junk' and then click on 'Block Sender'.

Doesn't seem to work on talktalk's app. I'll message them tomorrow. Thanks anyway. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/05/2020 at 20:33, Wymsey said:

What anti-virus laptop software would you recommend, at a modest price?

What ever antivirus/spyware software you run the will be some performance loss as a result. One good practice from my time in corporate IT would be to make sure all user accounts dont have admin rights so things cant be installed with out the name of the admin account and a password being entered yes can be a pain but stops things be installed accidentally. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/05/2020 at 19:44, Webbo said:

What does "mark as spam" for emails actually achieve?I do this everyday but I still keep getting the same shit everyday.

One of the problems with spam emails is that if they get through to your email client - ie, your computer - they often register your details as a live one. I have found that using MailWasher stops most of that, and thus prevents the same old same old shit. There's a free version of Mailwasher (although the paid-for Mailwasher Pro is pretty cheap) and what it does is enable you to review emails offline - before they reach your email client - so you can mark them as OK or not. The interface is really easy to use, and the system remembers whether you classify emails as friendly or spam, so within a very short time (a couple of weeks, tops) the level of spam slows to a dribble. Download Mailwasher or get more information from http://www.firetrust.com/.

 

Another thing you might be able to do is to go to your account settings on your email provider's website and possibly the parameters to impose more stringent conditions on incoming emails. The only problem with that is that it can catch innocent mailings, so you need to be careful not to do anything too drastic - one small step at a time.

 

I hope that helps.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LanguedocFox said:

One of the problems with spam emails is that if they get through to your email client - ie, your computer - they often register your details as a live one. I have found that using MailWasher stops most of that, and thus prevents the same old same old shit. There's a free version of Mailwasher (although the paid-for Mailwasher Pro is pretty cheap) and what it does is enable you to review emails offline - before they reach your email client - so you can mark them as OK or not. The interface is really easy to use, and the system remembers whether you classify emails as friendly or spam, so within a very short time (a couple of weeks, tops) the level of spam slows to a dribble. Download Mailwasher or get more information from http://www.firetrust.com/.

 

Another thing you might be able to do is to go to your account settings on your email provider's website and possibly the parameters to impose more stringent conditions on incoming emails. The only problem with that is that it can catch innocent mailings, so you need to be careful not to do anything too drastic - one small step at a time.

 

I hope that helps.

I've found that I can redirect emails so I'm send the bitcoin rubbish to the cannabis oil nonsense and vice versa, seems to have slowed it down a bit. I'll try what you've said though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/05/2020 at 20:33, Wymsey said:

What anti-virus laptop software would you recommend, at a modest price?

As others have mentioned, the antivirus built in to Windows 10 is very good, and because it's designed for the operating system you should not get any performance issues. What I would recommend is that you download Malwarebytes and CCleaner (free versions of both) and run them every week or so. Mawarebytes finds and quarantines any malware that gets through the net - very little in fact - while CCleaner gets rid of all the crap on your computer, like temp files and redundant remains of downloads, all of which can have major performance issues.

 

I hope that helps.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Webbo said:

I've found that I can redirect emails so I'm send the bitcoin rubbish to the cannabis oil nonsense and vice versa, seems to have slowed it down a bit. I'll try what you've said though. 

The problem with what redirecting emails is that you have to engage with them - best to keep them away from your computer altogether - which is the beauty of MailWasher.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LanguedocFox said:

The problem with what redirecting emails is that you have to engage with them - best to keep them away from your computer altogether - which is the beauty of MailWasher.

Im on the tablet atm, I'll do it when I'm on the desktop. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

When I try to log in to my virgin media email account using a saved shortcut, I keep getting this message:

 

405 error the method POST is not allowed for the URL /acs/acs

 

The only way I can get emails is by going through the virgin media homepage.

Does any one know how to rectify this, please.

I'm not sure if it's fault my end or with their email server.

 

Thanks

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

A4F4AC7C-7FF7-4669-A452-1DFFDE347184.thumb.jpeg.a43f22e86d08887c627d20b03b05de09.jpeg
Damaged my laptop screen, think I may have stepped on it. You only see the purple blemish when the screen is showing dark colours but when it’s showing light colours it’s fine. Seems ridiculous to pay £70+ just to fix something that is only a problem for some of the time. Just find it really irritating so is there anyway I can change the colour settings which would hide this, or at least slightly disguise it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/06/2020 at 10:35, Ian Nacho said:

A4F4AC7C-7FF7-4669-A452-1DFFDE347184.thumb.jpeg.a43f22e86d08887c627d20b03b05de09.jpeg
Damaged my laptop screen, think I may have stepped on it. You only see the purple blemish when the screen is showing dark colours but when it’s showing light colours it’s fine. Seems ridiculous to pay £70+ just to fix something that is only a problem for some of the time. Just find it really irritating so is there anyway I can change the colour settings which would hide this, or at least slightly disguise it?

Cant comment on the settings but is it worth trying to fix yourself? I replaced the screen on my girlfriends laptop the other year. Bought a screen off ebay for about 15 quid and watched a YouTube video. I'm quite techy with software but have zero experience with anything hardware related, repairs etc, but it was actually really easy and its been fine ever since. The only issue I had was a put a long screw where a short one should've been and screwed it straight through the cd drive (it didn't work prior to this so no harm done). Might be worth it if it gets any worse?

 

Also helped that her laptop was shit anyway so didn't really matter if I ****ed it. Can understand you being unwilling if its a decent/new one, but looking online at the time most of them seem relatively simple.

 

I understand this doesn't really answer your question so feel free to ignore me!

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Kopic said:

Cant comment on the settings but is it worth trying to fix yourself? I replaced the screen on my girlfriends laptop the other year. Bought a screen off ebay for about 15 quid and watched a YouTube video. I'm quite techy with software but have zero experience with anything hardware related, repairs etc, but it was actually really easy and its been fine ever since. The only issue I had was a put a long screw where a short one should've been and screwed it straight through the cd drive (it didn't work prior to this so no harm done). Might be worth it if it gets any worse?

 

Also helped that her laptop was shit anyway so didn't really matter if I ****ed it. Can understand you being unwilling if its a decent/new one, but looking online at the time most of them seem relatively simple.

 

I understand this doesn't really answer your question so feel free to ignore me!

It’s a pretty new one which is why it’s pissing me off but since you only ever notice it when I’m watching movies on it when there’s a particularly dark scene. No point risking fvcking anything else up if it’s only a problem for less than half the time. I did watch a video on how to do it but you practically have to take every single part out which only increases the chance of a cock up so I don’t think I’ll bother. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea if anyone on here can help but I'll ask anyway....

 

My boy wants a 'gaming PC' as apparently it's all about the FPS on Fortnite? (Only 40 FPS on his PS4 but his mates have over 140 FPS on their PC's allegedly :rolleyes:)

 

I've had a look on PCWorld and fvck me they're expensive!! Looks like you need to spend at least £800 for a decent one? :dunno:

 

Another option is I ask my BIL to build him one as he's a bit of a Whiz at this and he'd quite enjoy it as a project. Maybe I could buy the 'bits' (or give him the money to buy them) and I'm sure he'd know what to get.

 

I guess it's all about having a decent graphics card and processor? I've really no idea where to start so any advice would be welcome!

 

Thanking you gaming nerds in advance :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Izzy said:

No idea if anyone on here can help but I'll ask anyway....

 

My boy wants a 'gaming PC' as apparently it's all about the FPS on Fortnite? (Only 40 FPS on his PS4 but his mates have over 140 FPS on their PC's allegedly :rolleyes:)

 

I've had a look on PCWorld and fvck me they're expensive!! Looks like you need to spend at least £800 for a decent one? :dunno:

 

Another option is I ask my BIL to build him one as he's a bit of a Whiz at this and he'd quite enjoy it as a project. Maybe I could buy the 'bits' (or give him the money to buy them) and I'm sure he'd know what to get.

 

I guess it's all about having a decent graphics card and processor? I've really no idea where to start so any advice would be welcome!

 

Thanking you gaming nerds in advance :D

Fortnite runs well on a toaster tbf. Not very demanding at all. In any case, I know a bunch of geeks who'd probably be happy to pick parts to put together. Just need to answer as many of the below questions as you can. If it's the lads first pc then I wouldn't bother with overclocking, and for operating system you can download window 10 from Microsoft site and buy a key on eBay for a couple of quid. 

 

Budget:

More specific use (what games, what programs):

Planned time until purchase:

Do you need an Operating System?:

Do you have any specific preferred components?:

Do you need a sound or wireless card?:

Do you want stock cooling or do you plan on overclocking?:

Do you need a monitor? mouse? keyboard?:

Zip code/location? (Shipping costs):

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i got my gaming pc off ginger6.com. you can pretty much pick every little bit for your build. you could probably save a few quid on a cheaper pc tower, no extra lighting or fans, smaller HDD etc. i'd choose the option for an SSD, much faster than a regular HDD.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Fortnite runs well on a toaster tbf. Not very demanding at all. In any case, I know a bunch of geeks who'd probably be happy to pick parts to put together. Just need to answer as many of the below questions as you can. If it's the lads first pc then I wouldn't bother with overclocking, and for operating system you can download window 10 from Microsoft site and buy a key on eBay for a couple of quid. 

 

Budget:

More specific use (what games, what programs):

Planned time until purchase:

Do you need an Operating System?:

Do you have any specific preferred components?:

Do you need a sound or wireless card?:

Do you want stock cooling or do you plan on overclocking?:

Do you need a monitor? mouse? keyboard?:

Zip code/location? (Shipping costs):

 

9 hours ago, don_danbury said:

i got my gaming pc off ginger6.com. you can pretty much pick every little bit for your build. you could probably save a few quid on a cheaper pc tower, no extra lighting or fans, smaller HDD etc. i'd choose the option for an SSD, much faster than a regular HDD.

Cheers fellas :thumbup:

 

@Innovindil I need to do a bit more digging mate, I had no idea there was so much to consider!

 

Bloody kids :mad:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 26/05/2020 at 21:34, Wymsey said:

Who is your email account with?

 

When I see some company sending me spam, I would click on the message to open it, and on the top right you see 'More' and then 'block sender' - although this is based on personal experience when using Gmail.

 

If you're on Microsoft Outlook: Open the email message, and at the Home tab area at the top, you click on 'Junk' and then click on 'Block Sender'.

The problem is that most of the time, the spam bot will generate another spender and still hit you with the same shit. Happens to me on Outlook and there's nothing I can do about it. Just periodically empty my junk file without opening the suspicious mails.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/07/2020 at 13:46, Innovindil said:

Fortnite runs well on a toaster tbf. Not very demanding at all. In any case, I know a bunch of geeks who'd probably be happy to pick parts to put together. Just need to answer as many of the below questions as you can. If it's the lads first pc then I wouldn't bother with overclocking, and for operating system you can download window 10 from Microsoft site and buy a key on eBay for a couple of quid. 

 

Budget:

More specific use (what games, what programs):

Planned time until purchase:

Do you need an Operating System?:

Do you have any specific preferred components?:

Do you need a sound or wireless card?:

Do you want stock cooling or do you plan on overclocking?:

Do you need a monitor? mouse? keyboard?:

Zip code/location? (Shipping costs):

Way to narrow the problem. Good questions although:

- Soundcard is pretty much a luxury. The on-board one should be more than enough.

- I don't think that they're going to overclock and/or need liquid cooling anytime soon. The AMD Ryzen 2 come with a stock cooler which does a very good job, the Intel ones much less so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...

Started having an issue on Chrome on my phone. 

 

Whenever I press the return/enter key, my keyboard disappears. Only happens in reply boxes on forums, including this one. Tried a different keyboard and still the same. Cleared cache on Chrome, restarted phone. No fix :(

 

Tried different apps and it only happens in Chrome. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

FIXED!!!! Opened task manager and noticed my CPU speed was at 0.39Ghz which didn't look right. Googling that figure threw up lots more results. Downloading 'ThrottleStop' fixed the problem within seconds.

 

 

A really annoying problem that has only started in the last few days...

 

If I have my laptop plugged into the mains, it's great. As soon as I unplug it, every slows down. Things take ages to open and my internet speed takes a massive hit (a speed test with the power plugged in gives me 200Mbps, as soon as I unplug it I get about 50Mbps!)

 

I have Googled and played with all the settings i.e. checking power management and making sure it's all set up for maximum performance.

 

Another issue I have noticed is that my battery indicator now stays at '100% charged' even though it isn't. I have done various battery diagnostics using the Windows tools, but they don't flag any issues up.

 

I've literally just 'reset' the laptop but chose the option to retain my files. This has made no difference even though it seems to have rolled back on some of the windows updates which I thought might have caused the problem in the first place.

 

Any ideas? Tearing my hair out! With the cable plugged in, the laptop is great, without the cable it's like I'm using a 30 year old machine!

 

Edited by Bluefoxtim
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...