Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SystonFox

Cycling

What does your reply mean?

The poster asked if anyone knew of sportives in the area, I replied with the name of a forum that has a section covering his question, as well as a wealth of knowledge on things cycling related

Cyclechat translated in to Punjabi means bum fluff.

I`v been looking at the Boardman range for a while now and i`m thinking of getting one through the wheels2work scheme. Which model did you get?

6YcaGOV.jpg?2

Boardman Road Sport 2014. It was my first road bike so I didn't want to spend much more. 

The bike to work scheme is a good idea, I didn't go ahead with it but I think you save at least £100. 

6YcaGOV.jpg?2

Boardman Road Sport 2014. It was my first road bike so I didn't want to spend much more. 

The bike to work scheme is a good idea, I didn't go ahead with it but I think you save at least £100. 

I`v been looking at that and if I was going for a road bike i`d have gone for it, nice bit of kit for £500 and I bet it flies :thumbup: , but the roads where I live are a bit pants and I want one for trails, towpaths etc. So i`m going to go for an hybrid, either the 2014 Performance MX Race or the 2014 MX Sport, both are £500 but i`ll be saving  around £140 if purchased through the W2W scheme

I`v been looking at that and if I was going for a road bike i`d have gone for it, nice bit of kit for £500 and I bet it flies :thumbup: , but the roads where I live are a bit pants and I want one for trails, towpaths etc. So i`m going to go for an hybrid, either the 2014 Performance MX Race or the 2014 MX Sport, both are £500 but i`ll be saving  around £140 if purchased through the W2W scheme

It definitely does fly, got some speeds I never thought you could get on bikes. I do have a hybrid as well, for the same reasons, everywhere I live is fields. 

What does your reply mean?

The poster asked if anyone knew of sportives in the area, I replied with the name of a forum that has a section covering his question, as well as a wealth of knowledge on things cycling related

What may pals Baltimore and Rod said!!!

I have been cycling for just over a year now, wasn't keen when I first got started, but have since covered just under 3000 miles! I'm hooked!

I have recently started a blog, offering views on different charity rides / sportives I have done. The blog is still in its infancy, but I hope to use it to get feedback from other cyclists to help boost my technique, training methods, events etc. If you have time take a look, and again, please bear in mind it's in it's Infancy :)

www.amateurpedalpusher.co.uk

I have been cycling for just over a year now, wasn't keen when I first got started, but have since covered just under 3000 miles! I'm hooked!

I have recently started a blog, offering views on different charity rides / sportives I have done. The blog is still in its infancy, but I hope to use it to get feedback from other cyclists to help boost my technique, training methods, events etc. If you have time take a look, and again, please bear in mind it's in it's Infancy :)

www.amateurpedalpusher.co.uk

Shame you didn't enjoy L2B. I did it last year and set off at 6am to avoid the congestion and really enjoyed it. The event is getting too big though, I can see how later starters would have a very different experience.

I suggest you look at the Norwich 100 next year. It was my first 100 miler and very well organised.

Always buy the best and lightest  frame you can afford, you can improve on everything else over time.

I use spd mountain bike clips on the lowest setting and my feet slip out effortlessly. I tried road clips in London and fell sidewards at lights on about 6 occasions, it amused every bugger around me. Also means you don't clomp when you walk.

Use Swissstop yellow pads for the best braking, expensive but worth it.

i still dare not go clipless ...just can imagine stopping at lights and doing a delboy

Are you a road or MTB rider?

I'm MTB and came off twice the first time I went onto SPD's, both on technical, slow parts, nearly came a cropper at a t junction (badgers set cropston) but that's it in 7 years riding on them.

I'd never go back to platforms.

Shame you didn't enjoy L2B. I did it last year and set off at 6am to avoid the congestion and really enjoyed it. The event is getting too big though, I can see how later starters would have a very different experience.

I suggest you look at the Norwich 100 next year. It was my first 100 miler and very well organised.

Sorry phone had a melt down then.....

Yea I think that's what we will have to do if we do it next year. The route seemed great but we just didn't get the chance to ride it properly.

We have one of the wiggle sportives around cheddar gorge lined up next, and then also planning on riding from my house near Loughborough to my parents in dawlish, Devon later in the summer, 240 miles over 2 days.

I have to set myself events/challenges to make sure I stay on the bike :)

We got any cyclists here then?

I am a road cyclist. Currently have a carrera zelos but tomorrow I get a boardman comp 2014 through cycle to work scheme. I currently enjoy doing 25-30 miles routes around Leicester but I want to progress further, anyone got any tips? My main issue is lower back ache, second is I get pins and needles in my right hand. The third is I get a little bored so I need something extra!

No cyclist haters pls!!!!

Lower back ache is pretty common for cyclists... as others have said you might be incorrectly positioned. Check your saddle isn't too high. Other thing is that you might be trying to push too big a gear. This will really strain your lower back. I always feel like a wuz when I go down to the smaller reel on the crankset, but it will save your back until you get used to it a bit more.

Pins n needles is a bit strange... you might be leaning forward too much to try and counter the back ache? Or you might be leaning towards your right hand side, and basically steering almost with just your right hand (common if you're right-handed). Two things. Try arching your back every now and again when you're riding . Feels a bit strange at first but relieves the pressure on your arms (and spine). Secondly, try and keep your elbows bent and not straight. Your arm muscles need to support your weight, not by locking your elbow bones.

Most importantly take a break! The biggest health risk to cyclists (apart from cars) is sitting in the same position for hours on end. If your back hurts, stop and stretch it out. People generally think you just need strong legs to be a good cyclist - which obviously is true, but it's your arms, neck and back which are most at risk of long-term injury due to sitting in a crouched position for hours at a time. Work your upper body in the gym if you can. Your legs will take care of themselves :)

As for boredom: I'd really recommend a Garmin speedometer. They're expensive (£150), but let you know how far and how fast you're going. You can then upload all your rides to the Garmin website which maps them all out for you and lets you know your average speed etc. This is really good for giving yourself targets and seeing yourself improve. Also get a bike carrier (if you have a car), and get out-and-about on a few different routes into the countryside. The Vale of Belvoir has some beautiful empty roads and a killer climb (for me anyway!) up to Belvior Castle. Doing the same routes all the time can get a bit boring...

Hope this helps! Enjoy. It's a great hobby if you can get into it

Are you a road or MTB rider?

I'm MTB and came off twice the first time I went onto SPD's, both on technical, slow parts, nearly came a cropper at a t junction (badgers set cropston) but that's it in 7 years riding on them.

I'd never go back to platforms.

Im a Roady and have to stop start cos i go through the outskirts of town.

As for boredom: I'd really recommend a Garmin speedometer. They're expensive (£150), but let you know how far and how fast you're going. You can then upload all your rides to the Garmin website which maps them all out for you and lets you know your average speed etc. This is really good for giving yourself targets and seeing yourself improve. Also get a bike carrier (if you have a car), and get out-and-about on a few different routes into the countryside. The Vale of Belvoir has some beautiful empty roads and a killer climb (for me anyway!) up to Belvior Castle. Doing the same routes all the time can get a bit boring...

Doesn't Strava do most (if not all) of this for free?

I have just completed a 32 mile ride. Taking in Rothley, barrow, sileby, hoby, frisby, Queni, Birstall back to Rothley. 2 hrs 20 avg speed 15mph.

All this on my new Boardman, what a brilliantly built bike. Solid and sturdy and so quick. Well worth the upgrade.

No lower back pain at all and no pins and needles! Maybe just having a better bike is the difference!

Well no. Strava don't give you a GPS device for free. You still need some hardware, which is where the £150 goes... access to the Garmin website is free...

Syston 15mph is a pretty good average speed over 32 miles - I rarely get over 13mph these days... I have to tank it to get up to 15...

Yep strava does this for free but you still need a mobile with the strava app on it!

I've got a garmin edge 800 but still upload to strava rather than garmin, mainly because the dreaded 'segments' get me hooked!

If you can remember where the segments are on your ride it really does stop boredom setting in even on regular routes, because you always have to try and beat your best time