Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SystonFox

Cycling

• 1 month later...

After some advice folks. I bought a hybrid bike a couple of months back and am enjoying riding that and the freedom of being able to switch from roads to round the lakes with ease.... I am however spending more time on the road and wondering if worth getting a road bike too? Generally average around 15 miles on a ride when I go out and look on with envy at how people seem to glide along on their road bikes with very little effort. 

I've been looking at the carrera virtuoso as I can pick one up for just over 200 quid. Seems to have decent reviews as an entry level to road biking but anyone know if I will actually notice much difference from my hybrid with it being a cheaper bike? 

14 hours ago, syston_fox said:

After some advice folks. I bought a hybrid bike a couple of months back and am enjoying riding that and the freedom of being able to switch from roads to round the lakes with ease.... I am however spending more time on the road and wondering if worth getting a road bike too? Generally average around 15 miles on a ride when I go out and look on with envy at how people seem to glide along on their road bikes with very little effort. 

I've been looking at the carrera virtuoso as I can pick one up for just over 200 quid. Seems to have decent reviews as an entry level to road biking but anyone know if I will actually notice much difference from my hybrid with it being a cheaper bike? 

I`d get a road bike if I were you, its much easier, but these people that are gliding past you with very little effort will still be gliding past you with very little effort at first if you get one. Its all about getting the miles in, the more you ride the faster you will become and the easier it will get... and that`s a fact. The Carrera will be ok as an introduction into road cycling and if you don`t take to it you can sell it on and won`t lose much money on it, but if you do take to it you can always upgrade the bike for something a bit more lush at a later date.  The riding position takes some getting used to, lots of aches and pains for a few weeks, but persevere, it does get easier. 

...and get the free strava app on your phone, its a great motivational tool. It`ll give you all the info on your rides including route map covered, average speed, distance, climbing, top speed and more. 

Good luck :thumbup:

Pretty much agree with the above Chris. I had a carrera zelos as my first road bike three years ago. Upgraded to a boardman comp a year later when I had fully recovered from my knee injury and knew I wanted to take cycling a bit more seriously. Make sure you get the correct size frame, goes without saying, but my carrera was a medium frame and my boardman is a large. Riding the boardman was so much nicer straight away. 

• Like 1

Cheers both. Unfortunately missed the boat and the offer on the bike ended on Friday so will stick to the hybrid for now until another decent offer comes along then will take the plunge. Only really got into it about a month ago and already use strava as just adds that competitive edge... and shows how bloody slow I am compared to my foxestalk (almost) namesake!

Set myself the goal of clearing 500 miles by the end of the year and if I'm still going strong then my aim is to push on next year and ride leics to Skegness or something similar next summer.

I don't do an awful lot of outdoor cycling these days. I set my bike up in the garage on a turbo trainer and do 30 mins HIIT most mornings. However I plan to take it off tomorrow evening for a potential ride with mates Wednesday evening.

strava can be really good on the website for planning routes. You can tailor it bend by bend depending what distance / climbs you want! It'll tell you the total distance and the estimated time, I assume it goes on your previous averages althoughdont quote me on that

15 hours ago, syston_fox said:

Cheers both. Unfortunately missed the boat and the offer on the bike ended on Friday so will stick to the hybrid for now until another decent offer comes along then will take the plunge. Only really got into it about a month ago and already use strava as just adds that competitive edge... and shows how bloody slow I am compared to my foxestalk (almost) namesake!

Set myself the goal of clearing 500 miles by the end of the year and if I'm still going strong then my aim is to push on next year and ride leics to Skegness or something similar next summer.

Have a look on ebay or gumtree. There`s some well spec`d second hand bikes to be had out there for around £200. It took me months of looking to finally get my first road bike, a second hand Wilier. It was my main bike for around 2 years until my recent upgrade to the carbon and it will now be my dirty weather warrior.

500 miles is a good target to aim for, good luck :thumbup:

I only started to take cycling seriously at the start of last year, setting myself the goal of 24 50km (31 mile) rides for the year, but I did over 50. This year i`v upped my goals and want at least 24 50km and 24 100km rides. I`v logged 31 rides on strava  this year and have bagged 14 50km and 15 100km rides so far, so I`m well on track to do it.

I did my first sportive last month - The Midland Mezzo Monster -, a 75 mile ride out to the Peak District and I`ll be doing my biggest ride tomorrow, a 200km (124 mile) solo charity ride in the memory of my late niece. Never ever thought I`d be doing stuff like this a year or so ago  :)

Keep at it and you just might surprise yourself ;)

Edited by I am Rod Hull
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2017 at 12:49, yorkie1999 said:

Get yourself to cannock chase.

On 6/25/2017 at 00:30, potter3 said:

Aye, been many a time.

I went to Cannock Chase for the first time yesterday..... but on my road bike :P

It was a cracking ride with 11 of us in total, but I had no idea it would be so lumpy on the Chase.... there`s some good, short, steep climbs over there . We got soaked on the way back when the heavens opened, but it didn`t spoil the ride :thumbup:

100 km (62 miles) with a bacon sarnie and cup of tea at the cafe stop :)

Edited by I am Rod Hull
  • Like 1

On 24/06/2017 at 12:40, Merging Cultures said:

A mate of mine is looking to sell me a Lapierre Zesty for £600 not used much...

Seems like a deal? Advice appreciated!!

It depends on how old the bike is and which model it is really (227, 335, 527 etc).

The different price points are differently spec'd, though often use the same frame swapping aluminium for carbon as the price rises.

The base model is between £1,200-£1,500 from memory, so at face value it's a good deal. When buying a second hand full sus bike always check the suspension bearings for play and for cracks around the head tube and bottom bracket welds. I'm sure your friend isn't trying to sell you short but they're built to be used well not abused so always make sure. There's plenty of guides on what you look for when buying second hand if you want peace of mind. It's a fairly well respected bike though so I'm sure you'll have a blast on it if you go for it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I am Rod Hull said:

I went to Cannock Chase for the first time yesterday..... but on my road bike :P

It was a cracking ride with 11 of us in total, but I had no idea it would be so lumpy on the Chase.... there`s some good, short, steep climbs over there . We got soaked on the way back when the heavens opened, but it didn`t spoil the ride :thumbup:

100 km (62 miles) with a bacon sarnie and cup of tea at the cafe stop :)

I take it you don't mean Follow the Dog/Monkey Trail on your road bike? Really don't think I'd fancy that! :P

Can't imagine doing that kind of distance either - 30 miles is about my limit though it does tend to be over rough terrain.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2017 at 20:54, Uncle Phil said:

It depends on how old the bike is and which model it is really (227, 335, 527 etc).

The different price points are differently spec'd, though often use the same frame swapping aluminium for carbon as the price rises.

The base model is between £1,200-£1,500 from memory, so at face value it's a good deal. When buying a second hand full sus bike always check the suspension bearings for play and for cracks around the head tube and bottom bracket welds. I'm sure your friend isn't trying to sell you short but they're built to be used well not abused so always make sure. There's plenty of guides on what you look for when buying second hand if you want peace of mind. It's a fairly well respected bike though so I'm sure you'll have a blast on it if you go for it. 

Turns out it was a small frame, and too small for me. Nice bike though. It was a 314 (2010).

On 6/26/2017 at 21:21, potter3 said:

I take it you don't mean Follow the Dog/Monkey Trail on your road bike? Really don't think I'd fancy that! :P

Can't imagine doing that kind of distance either - 30 miles is about my limit though it does tend to be over rough terrain.

No trails were done by me :D, but I did see a few of your lot in the woods as we went by.

Seriously, I bet you put more effort into a 30 mile mtb ride than I do on a 60 mile road ride. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@syston_fox  @SystonFox

I rode through Syston this morning at around 08:30 on route to Cafe Ventoux with 18 others and saw a couple lads out on their roadies. Its a long shot, but was it either of you we passed?... One of the lads was wearing what looked like combat shorts.

Had a cracking ride out by the way, bagging a 100 miler with a great bunch of lads.

Image may contain: one or more people, people on stage and outdoor

Not me buddy. Footy pre season is well under way! 

Good going on the 100 miles though mate I've never managed one. Think my top is about 70 and even then I can't be sure as Strava (iphone)died at 54 miles!!!

What's cafe ventoux like? I know a few people who go often and all speak highly of it

1 hour ago, SystonFox said:

Not me buddy. Footy pre season is well under way! 

Good going on the 100 miles though mate I've never managed one. Think my top is about 70 and even then I can't be sure as Strava (iphone)died at 54 miles!!!

What's cafe ventoux like? I know a few people who go often and all speak highly of it

If you can do 70, you can do 100 :thumbup:

Cafe Ventoux - The prices for food are quite daft. I had a bacon sarnie and a strawberry ice cream milk shake - £7.45 lol, but it was worth it. Its one of them "bucket list" places. Get yourself over there, you`ll love it :chant:

I've no doubt I can do 100, when I say manage I more meant I've never found the time! When I did the 70 odd I was only supposed to be out for 2 hours. Got home 5 hours later and the wife was livid!

that is extortianate really but it's what these places do nowadays