Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Ex-Leicester City player news

Miss our Lloyd Dyer

Would have started Saturday for sure with current injuries

Foolish of club not to offer longer deal

is it foolish by us, or foolish by Lloyd not accpeting the one year deal....

as you said he would have been more or less guaranteed to start Saturday, and then it would've been up to him to keep his place in the first team on how he performed.

if he carried on in the first team i'm sure Leicester would've looked at renewing his contract next season, or another Prem Team may have wanted to sign him.

Shoot

Leicester: Where are they now?

August 13, 2014

By Matthew Pintus

lf.jpg

After a decade away, Leicester City are back in the Premier League! And, with Everton the first team to visit the newly promoted boys, we thought we’d look back at the last time the two teams met in the top flight.

So, let’s go back, way back, to the 2003-2004 Premier League season.

It had it all; scandal, accusation, failure and ultimately, relegation.

The date is Saturday, March 20, 2004.

Leicester 1 (Marcus Bent ’90) Everton 1 (Wayne Rooney ’75)

Goalkeeper: Ian Walker

waker.jpg

Then: The veteran goalkeeper was one of the big names in the Leicester line-up. Since making a £2.5m move from Tottenham in 2001, Walker had cemented himself as a dependable man between the sticks for the Foxes. He was the star turn as Leicester regained promotion to the Premier League in the 2002-03 season and had won his place back in the England squad. However, his decision-making throughout the 2003-04 season would leave many fans scratching their heads. In particular, his poor performance against Aston Villan – a game in which he conceded five goals in 18 minutes – led to a bizarre confrontation with an angry pitch invader.

Now: Since hanging up his boots in 2008, Walker has moved into the managerial hot-seat. In 2011, he was appointed as manager of Non-League side, Bishop’s Stortford. However, his tenure was short lived and he left the club by mutual consent a few months later. As of 2014, Walker is a goalkeeping coach in the Chinese Super League with Shanghai East Asia. He has been praised for his handling of several keepers, none more so than Yan Junling, who has been scouted by several European clubs.

Right Back: Riccardo Scimeca

Then: A versatile full-back with plenty of Football League experience, Scimeca had been signed by Leicester in the build up to the 2003-04 season. The 28-year-old had been one of the driving forces in Nottingham Forest’s bid to regain their top flight status. Known for his tough tackling and no-nonsense attitude, Scimeca would be integral in Leicester’s bid to beat the drop.

Now: After a season with Leicester City, Scimeca went on to have a prolonged period at Cardiff City where he would help his side to an FA Cup final in 2008. Scimeca is currently plying his trade for home town club, Leamington, in the Central Warwickshire Over 35′s Premier League.

Centre Back: Matthew Heath

Then: Home-grown talent Matthew Heath would make fleeting appearances for Leicester over the 2003-04 season. The 22-year-old centre half was thought to have a big future in the game. He would have the difficult job of keeping a certain Wayne Rooney quiet in the tie against the Toffees.

Now: The Football League journeyman never quiet lived up to his billing at Leicester and was soon moved on. Now 32 and playing Non-League football with Harrogate Town, he will perhaps be best remembered for his spell at Leeds United in the late 2000′s.

Centre Back: Nikos Dabizas

Dabizas_Nikos_040424_OFS.jpg

Then: Dabizas had been purchased in the 2004 January transfer window because, in manager Micky Adam’s eyes, he had the top flight experience needed to guide Leicester to Premier League safety. The Greek international had been a key player for Newcastle in the late 1990′s but had seen his stock drop significantly at the north-east club. Thus, a move to Leicester seemed ideal for all parties involved.

Now: Since retiring in 2011, Dabizas has moved into the boardroom as Panathinaikos’ technical director. He will be best remembered as a member of the infamous Greek squad who would go on to win the Euro 2004 Championships. Unfortunately for Dabizas, despite achieving an impressive 70 caps for his country, injury would prevent him playing any part in the surprise 2004 triumph.

Left Back: Ben Thatcher

Then: Once hailed the next great English full-back, Thatcher had moved to Leicester in the summer of 2003 for a nominal fee of around £300,000. The amount was surprising in the sense that, just three years before, Thatcher had been bought by Tottenham Hotspur for a mouth watering £5m. His fall from grace was, according to Thatcher, because of relations with Tottenham manager, Glenn Hoddle.

Now: Thatcher retired from professional football in 2010 after being released by Roy Keane at Ipswich Town. Never far from controversy, Thatcher’s legacy will be largely dominated by negative press. In a 2006-07 Premier League tie between Manchester City and Portsmouth, Thatcher left opposition player, Pedro Mendes, needing oxygen after a vicious elbow. The incident left many shocked and Ben Thatcher would later face a full police investigation. The FA banned Thatcher for eight games, with a further 15-game suspended ban for two years.

Right Midfield: Marcus Bent

Then: Known for his prowess in front of the goal, Marcus Bent had signed on loan from Ipswich for the start of the 2003-04 Premier League season. Often asked to do a shift on the right or left wing, Bent was by no means just a finisher. He had the pace, power and overall athleticism to become an elite Premier League regular.

Now: According to a recent interview with Bent’s sibling, Elliot Bent, Marcus Bent is currently working in the oil business. While he is not officially retired, Bent has been without a club since 2012. After leaving Leicester in 2004, Bent went on to have successful spells with Everton and Charlton Athletic in the Premier League. He most recently played for Indonesian side, Mitra Kukar.

Central Midfield: Muzzy Izzet

izzet.jpg

Then: A fans’ favourite and much coveted midfielder, Muzzy Izzet was the heartbeat of the Leicester side. The English-born, Turkish international, had been at the club since 1996 and had proved himself at the top-level on several occasions. Moreover, he had been part of Turkey’s third-placed finish at the 2002 FIFA World Cup. He would go on to finish the 2003-04 season as the top assister in the English Premier League.

Now: The 39-year-old has long since retired and has set up a footballing academy with fellow ex-professional, Steve Walsh. Injuries blighted Izzet’s career after leaving Leicester in 2004. He announced his retirement from the game in 2006. However, despite prematurely ending his career, Izzet will be forever remembered in Leicester City folk law.

Central Midfield: Steffen Freund

Then: The decorated German enforcer was coming towards the end of his career when he signed for Leicester on loan in the summer of 2003. He had been part of both the famous Champions League winning Borussia Dortmund side of 1996-97 and the European Championship winning German side of 1996.

Now: Freund is currently the International Technical Coordinator at Tottenham Hotspur. He has had spells as the club’s assistant manager and is known for his regular appearances on German television. He has also managed several German national youth sides since his retirement in 2004. He was inducted into the Tottenham Hotspur “Hall of Fame” in 2009.

Left Midfield: Trevor Benjamin

Then: Originally signed as a replacement for the outgoing Emile Heskey in 2000, Trevor Benjamin was making a rare start in the game against Everton. In fact, Benjamin held the record for the most appearances off the bench for Leicester City. A pacey striker with strength in abundance, he, like Bent, was asked to do a shift on the wing for a struggling Leicester side.

Now: Trevor Benjamin holds the record for the most league clubs a professional footballer has ever played for. His 16 clubs make him the ultimate journeyman footballer. In total, he has played for over 30 clubs in the Football League and Non-League. Since retiring, Benjamin has launched his own brand of goalkeeper glove called Locust UK. He has also managed Morpeth Town in the Northern Football League.

Striker: Paul Dickov

pdickov.jpg

Then: Scottish forward, Paul Dickov, was Leicester’s “pest” in the box. He had signed for Leicester for £150,000 in the summer of 2002 and, within 12 months, had scored an impressive 20 goals for the side. The former Arsenal man would eventually end the 2003-04 season with a respectable 11 goals back in the top flight. Dickov was one of three Leicester players to be arrested on suspicion of sexual assault while at a training camp in La Manga. This incident would heavily disrupt an already difficult season for the Foxes.

Now: After retiring in 2010, Dickov went straight into management with Oldham Athletic in the Football League. After three years at the club, he moved on to manage Doncaster Rovers in the Championship. Unfortunately, the club were relegated back to League 1 in the 2013-14 season. With regard to the La Manga incident, Dickov and his fellow teammates were cleared of all charges in the summer of 2004. Dickov recently described the ordeal as the darkest time in his life.

Striker: Les Ferdinand

Then: Premier League legend Les Ferdinand was 37 when he joined Leicester City for the 2003-04 season. The burly striker had been a successful international footballer and had managed an incredible 41 goals in 68 games while at Newcastle United. He would go on to finish the 2003-04 season with an impressive 14 goals.

Now: 47-year-old Ferdinand was most recently part of Tim Sherwood’s managerial team at Tottenham Hotspur. When Sherwood was sacked in May 2014, Ferdinand followed him out of the club. The former striker is the eighth highest scorer in Premier League history with 149 goals. He was awarded an MBE for his services to football in 2005.

Miss our Lloyd Dyer

Would have started Saturday for sure with current injuries

Foolish of club not to offer longer deal

Was foolish of him to reject an opportunity to play at the highest level. Fed up hearing about him if I'm honest.

• Like 1

Out of all those signings that season, only Ferdinand and Thatcher were decent. Just thinking back to Howey and Curtis at the back, good God. 

Did enjoy my first trip to Manchester City that year though lol

Out of all those signings that season, only Ferdinand and Thatcher were decent. Just thinking back to Howey and Curtis at the back, good God.

Did enjoy my first trip to Manchester City that year though lol

I thought Bent did alright that season, though he was only on loan.

I went to that Man City game absolutely chucked it down before if I remember correctly. Jordan Stewart scored a good goal.

The highlight of that season would probably be Craig Hignetts late equaliser versus Arsenal.

Fed up hearing about Dyer. If Nigel felt Dyer didn't deserve more than a year, than I back our manager. Dyer had more to lose than the club. 

What's up with fighting for another year? If he proved himself at Premier League level, perform well for us, then he could have earn't himself another year. Instead, he's playing for Watford and missed out on probably his only chance to play in the top flight.

• Like 1

Fed up hearing about Dyer. If Nigel felt Dyer didn't deserve more than a year, than I back our manager. Dyer had more to lose than the club. 

What's up with fighting for another year? If he proved himself at Premier League level, perform well for us, then he could have earn't himself another year. Instead, he's playing for Watford and missed out on probably his only chance to play in the top flight.

It sounds like the club weren't honest with him, telling him its standard procedure to only offer one years to 30+ players but then offered morgan 3 years.

When you're that age with kids etc you want to have a secure future, I dont blame him at all, I wouldnt want to be on a year contract. You could argue a year on the bench at prem level will do his legs more harm than good and after the year of that his chances of landing better employment than he has at Watford is doubtful.

Edited by blueonyou

Which would have made his decision even harder. Don't be a donut. Of all the mercenary pricks that have gone through this club in the past decade Dyer has been a model professional.

Jimmy Walsh passed away last week.

I've just had to have a look to see who he was.

I'm a bit disappointed in myself that I've never heard of him before even though he's in our top 10 of all time goalscorers. I don't read the mercury or anything but does anyone know if they've mentioned it or anything?

Sky Sports understands Reading are lining up a move for Nottingham Forest defender Jack Hobbs. Hobbs has been a long-term target for Reading, with the club losing out to Forest to sign the 26-year-old from Hull in the January transfer window.

Jimmy  Walsh passed away last week.

Played in probably the best ever city team ,1961 cup final belonged to the ice-kings.belonged to my first personally signed

signatures, of a city team. Sometimes forgotten in role call of citys ever best forwards, but belongs up there.

I bumped into him accidently, when he was going to the training ground (I was 7) , he pretended to be angry then he grinned, and spoke to me and dad for 5 minutes, what stood out for me was his scottish accent.I met him again at a charity match a few years later, he remembered me. That day was a great day for me, because other players exchanged more than a few

words with an awstruck youngster, just sitting on the grass, with my dad, uncle and 2 cousins.It was off the cuff, that made it special.

• Like 1