Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

• 3 weeks later...

What is happening with the traffic in the City since the kids went back it's worse than ever.

As soon as I get past the outer ring road onto Anstey Lane it's backed up, I try the rat run and you're queuing forever to get onto Parker Drive then queuing to get onto Blackbird Road. Took an hour yesterday for what should be a 40 minute max journey.

I know Loughborough Road is closed but that shouldn't be having that much of an impact surely.

On 16/01/2018 at 06:56, Livid said:

What is happening with the traffic in the City since the kids went back it's worse than ever.

As soon as I get past the outer ring road onto Anstey Lane it's backed up, I try the rat run and you're queuing forever to get onto Parker Drive then queuing to get onto Blackbird Road. Took an hour yesterday for what should be a 40 minute max journey.

I know Loughborough Road is closed but that shouldn't be having that much of an impact surely.

It is though, I come from Sileby into Leicester and Abby Lane area is pretty much a no go zone right now.

What I cant understand is why they wont divert traffic down the Bus only road on Thurcaston Road that links up to Loughborough Road past the bridge works.  This would alliviate a lot of the volume of traffic in the area.  But they've gt big signs up now saying to not go down there as there are bus lane cameras active.

Also as only1 lane of Loughborough road is closed why not have temp lights at the bridge.  It's only a small section near the Outdoor pursuits that's being closed.

Having to leave a good 30 mins early if I want to get to work on time now

Edited by chrisfox

7 hours ago, chrisfox said:

It is though, I come from Sileby into Leicester and Abby Lane area is pretty much a no go zone right now.

What I cant understand is why they wont divert traffic down the Bus only road on Thurcaston Road that links up to Loughborough Road past the bridge works.  This would alliviate a lot of the volume of traffic in the area.  But they've gt big signs up now saying to not go down there as there are bus lane cameras active.

Also as only1 lane of Loughborough road is closed why not have temp lights at the bridge.  It's only a small section near the Outdoor pursuits that's being closed.

Having to leave a good 30 mins early if I want to get to work on time now

I'm not entirely sure it's really all that surprising when they keep pushing up new housing estates without any real investment to provide extra capacity to the road infrastructure (or any other infrastructure come to that). They rely on these magical plans that everyone is suddenly going to start using non-existent (or existing, but totally shite) bus services, or take up cycling (which, call me a pessimist, but I can't ever see happening on a big enough scale to make a difference). At peak times, the roads are running at such capacity that any closure or accident has horrendous consequences on traffic. God knows what's going to happen in the Soar Valley Way area when that piece of genius called the Lubbesthorpe development gets fully up and running.

A fvcking woman pulled out in front of me from a side street without even looking this morning. I didn't even have time to brake, and had to swerve around her. Then she even had the nerve to glare at me when I sounded my horn.

On 12/30/2017 at 02:27, adam1 said:

You see I was under the impression that you shouldn't use your horn on the motorway.

Whilst the intended purpose of the horn is to notify others of our presence (hence I used it correctly), people I know state that you shouldn't use it. I have looked but cannot find any rules on the matter.

Of course you can use your horn on the motorway.

On 12/30/2017 at 13:37, Bellend Sebastian said:

The 10% 'leeway' if you want to call it that was to allow for the less than total accuracy of speed cameras, radar guns and whatnot. If you're clocked doing 10% more than the speed limit there shouldn't be any doubt as to whether you're actually breaking the limit.

Anecdotally, some police forces supposedly only prosecute at 20%.  Certainly in Leicester, all the people I know who have been caught were doing 48 in a 40, 36 in a 30 etc.

I'd be gutted if I ever got done. Humiliating

It's 10% + 2mph

25 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

I wonder if anyone in here has ever had a moan about someones driving in this thread and it turned out to be another member of the forum in the driving seat of the offending car?

@Trav Le Bleu posted a while back about a woman parking in the postal depot blocking in vans, and for a second I thought he was talking about me, because I'd done the exact same thing just the day before. I realised it wasn't me when she wasn't completely mortified and full of apologies, which I was. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 15:14, DB11 said:

Of course you can use your horn on the motorway.

It's 10% + 2mph

Your horn is only to be used as an audible warning to other road users to make them aware of your presence on the road i.e. If a pedestrian is about to step out and hasn't seen you, if some twat makes a manoeuvre that will cause you to swerve or brake inappropriately, that kind of thing. It's not to be used to say hi to someone you know walking along the pavement or to celebrate the winning of the Premier League.

There's no restriction for you using your "audible warning device" on the motorway. The only thing is that it might not be heard because of road/wind/tyre noise. Keep you hand on it!! 

Edited by Parafox

29 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Your horn is only to be used as an audible warning to other road users to make them aware of your presence on the road i.e. If a pedestrian is about to step out and hasn't seen you, if some twat makes a manoeuvre that will cause you to swerve or brake inappropriately, that kind of thing. It's not to be used to say hi to someone you know walking along the pavement or to celebrate the winning of the Premier League.

There's no restriction for you using your "audible warning device" on the motorway. The only thing is that it might not be heard because of road/wind/tyre noise. Keep you hand on it!! 

Or, if you're about to make a massive cockup and want to blame other people - if you ask the guy who had a pop at me because he was in the wrong lane and would need to go through me up to go where he wanted... 

Boongate roundabout in Peterborough, coming off the A1139. Clearly sign posted: left lane for city centre, centre lane for Carr road/Perkins engines, right hand lane for eastern industries. I'm in the centre lane, car in the right-hand  lane. Getting round just past the exit to rejoin the A1139, I'm level with them in the outside of the roundabout, they decide they want the next exit (Carr road). I continue my course, they stick their indicators on and then blast their horn because they want to be across to take that exit. 

37 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Did you mean to quote me? I know, that's why I said you can use your horn on the motorway :huh:

6 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

@Trav Le Bleu posted a while back about a woman parking in the postal depot blocking in vans, and for a second I thought he was talking about me, because I'd done the exact same thing just the day before. I realised it wasn't me when she wasn't completely mortified and full of apologies, which I was. 

We all make mistakes. It's when people don't acknowledge it or go on the offensive it gets wearing.

11 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Or, if you're about to make a massive cockup and want to blame other people - if you ask the guy who had a pop at me because he was in the wrong lane and would need to go through me up to go where he wanted... 

Boongate roundabout in Peterborough, coming off the A1139. Clearly sign posted: left lane for city centre, centre lane for Carr road/Perkins engines, right hand lane for eastern industries. I'm in the centre lane, car in the right-hand  lane. Getting round just past the exit to rejoin the A1139, I'm level with them in the outside of the roundabout, they decide they want the next exit (Carr road). I continue my course, they stick their indicators on and then blast their horn because they want to be across to take that exit. 

I had a similar experience to that recently in Cambridge, the guy then got in behind and was flashing his lights, leaning out of his window shaking his fists lol

I’m normally quite courteous but he had taken the piss, no chance I was letting him in.

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I had a similar experience to that recently in Cambridge, the guy then got in behind and was flashing his lights, leaning out of his window shaking his fists lol

I’m normally quite courteous but he had taken the piss, no chance I was letting him in.

Short of carrying out an emergency stop I wouldn't have been able to let him in anyway, this was about two/three car lengths from the exit. Happens on a weekly basis though, people being in the right hand lane but taking that exit. Not as if it's been sign posted which lane you're supposed to be in for at least two years now.

On 30/12/2017 at 21:49, Spudulike said:

Got a nice dent in my drivers door by some inconsiderate prat in his 4x4 in a car park yesterday. He couldn't have possibly opened his door without hitting mine :@

Some of these vehicles are just too wide to park in most standard spaces. This particular selfish git left me with almost no room to open my drivers door which isn't helpful when you have a dodgy back. It wasn't as if the car park was anywhere near full and could easily have found a space well away from other cars. Suppose that would've meant walking a few yards further.

I've always had nice cars and looked after them well, i've kept my current car longer than i'd have liked, it's now in abit of a state, dents, rattles, damage, not much value left in it. I really do need to change it but I fear i've left it too long really, certainly to replace it with what i'd like in terms of trade in value its gonna cost me alot.

But then what you've posted above (Which have caused the dents) and the state of the roads (Which has ultimately caused the rattles and damage) I just think what is the point? Why should I spend so much money on something nice when there are too many pricks about and the roads are in such a disgusting state.

It's a sad opinion to have, that I shouldn't spend my money on what I want but what is the point when its only going to get spoilt, ruined and I can't do alot about it.

Edited by Matt

13 hours ago, DB11 said:

Did you mean to quote me? I know, that's why I said you can use your horn on the motorway :huh:

I realised you knew but I just used your post to quote in my post to make my point... if you know what I mean,

14 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Driving into the back of someone in the snow.

First accident I've had in 20 years. Very exciting

I saw one on the A46, a red and a silver car a few hours ago, blocking a part of the road.

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

???? It's a few millimetres of slush!!!

About 2 hours later it wouldn't have been a problem, but I managed to find a bit of road where I had zero traction and managed to slide, inexorably into the back of someone with a nicer car than mine.

Felt like a right knob, especially as I was being really cautious and I'd gone home a different route to avoid the bits I knew would be dodgy and this was on the one part of the journey where I knew I'd have to be careful