Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sir Fynwy

Clarke Carlisle

Though by no means proof of anything I do find the quote from his wife of 'very poorly but alive' to be oddly worded, you're not poorly when you get run over by a lorry, you're poorly when you've got a headache, you never hear that word in regards to incidents like this, which leads me to believe poorly means mentally rather than physically.

Though by no means proof of anything I do find the quote from his wife of 'very poorly but alive' to be oddly worded, you're not poorly when you get run over by a lorry, you're poorly when you've got a headache, you never hear that word in regards to incidents like this, which leads me to believe poorly means mentally rather than physically.

Or she was using Twitter and couldn't think of a better word to use to stay within 140 characters.

Ex-footballer Clarke Carlisle was charged with drink driving days before he was seriously injured in a collision with a lorry.

The football world was stunned by news that the 35-year-old anti-racism campaigner and pundit had been hit by a vehicle on the A64 near York on 22 December.

Since the incident, a host of footballers, former clubs, organisations and charities have used social media to send messages hoping the former Professional Footballers' Association chairman makes a quick recovery.

The Metropolitan Police have confirmed that former Burnley defender Mr Carlisle was charged with failing to provide a sample on 20 December and is set to appear in court next month.

A statement from the Metropolitan Police said: "Clarke Carlisle, 35, was charged on Saturday, 20 December with failing to provide a specimen and driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence.

"He is due to appear at Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court on 20 January, 2015."

North Yorkshire Police launched an investigation into the circumstances of the A64 collision and appealed for witnesses.

Mr Carlisle's wife Gemma thanked well-wishers on Twitter on Monday.

She said: "Thank you for continuing messages of support and for media restraint.

"Clarke still very poorly but we're hopeful he'll make a full recovery."

Unless you've suffered with depression then I don't think that you'll ever understand what it's like

This.

I've been there, I can safely say it really is no bed of roses. It has had a major effect on my life. To anybody thinking any suicide attempt is cowardly....you couldn't be more wrong.

To get to that stage takes for an unreal amount of self hatred and an incredible belief of worthlessness.

There's a previous post in here. I can't remember who it was right now but I'll edit this when I get chance to put them in and give them the credit because their entire post is one that you should all take the time to read. They said that suicide is looked upon as an easy way out. That is how it looks, but for the person considering it, it's the only way out.

Society is slowly becoming more aware to mental illness, but it doesn't mean that anyone who suffers is selfish if they attempt to take their own life. It's the bravest action for anyone to attempt.

It's the same as anybody who isn't deemed to be mentally unstable. It's still the thought that this action will be your last on earth. That this action will mean you will never be able to see anybody you love again.

Just because you are mentally ill, it doesn't change the fact you have to be prepared to end everything under your own circumstances. That was where my personal experience stopped. I wasn't brave enough to do anything that would seriously endanger my life.

The poor bloke will now come around and be accused of selfishness. Everyone put yourself into his shoes. Already with a feeling of worthlessness and emptiness, to then be accused of being selfish by a large majority of the people who read about you, will that help your state of mind? Will it ****.

I seen Raj put about a guy at his place of work who threw himself under a train. Raj says nobody had any idea that he was suffering mentally. This is because of the incredibly dim view a lot of people on here seem to have. That anybody who suffers with depression or any other mental illness is the equivalent to damaged goods, and you will be ridiculed for openly admitting to be suffering. And it seems many of you people on here are the ones who see someone suffering as damaged, instead of actually ill.

It's not a choice.

^^ your right lad.

If you have crutches if you break a leg you'd get more sympathy than someone with depression.

Depression doesn't come with a visible sign that your ill....its the invisible but potentially fatal disease.

Not diseasr-better word is illness

This.

I've been there, I can safely say it really is no bed of roses. It has had a major effect on my life. To anybody thinking any suicide attempt is cowardly....you couldn't be more wrong.

To get to that stage takes for an unreal amount of self hatred and an incredible belief of worthlessness.

There's a previous post in here. I can't remember who it was right now but I'll edit this when I get chance to put them in and give them the credit because their entire post is one that you should all take the time to read. They said that suicide is looked upon as an easy way out. That is how it looks, but for the person considering it, it's the only way out.

Society is slowly becoming more aware to mental illness, but it doesn't mean that anyone who suffers is selfish if they attempt to take their own life. It's the bravest action for anyone to attempt.

It's the same as anybody who isn't deemed to be mentally unstable. It's still the thought that this action will be your last on earth. That this action will mean you will never be able to see anybody you love again.

Just because you are mentally ill, it doesn't change the fact you have to be prepared to end everything under your own circumstances. That was where my personal experience stopped. I wasn't brave enough to do anything that would seriously endanger my life.

The poor bloke will now come around and be accused of selfishness. Everyone put yourself into his shoes. Already with a feeling of worthlessness and emptiness, to then be accused of being selfish by a large majority of the people who read about you, will that help your state of mind? Will it ****.

I seen Raj put about a guy at his place of work who threw himself under a train. Raj says nobody had any idea that he was suffering mentally. This is because of the incredibly dim view a lot of people on here seem to have. That anybody who suffers with depression or any other mental illness is the equivalent to damaged goods, and you will be ridiculed for openly admitting to be suffering. And it seems many of you people on here are the ones who see someone suffering as damaged, instead of actually ill.

It's not a choice.

Hang on just a fùcking second, suicide is a selfish act, it devastates the family left behind. Depression is a very selfish mentality, whereby the person feels he is the only one who feels this way and nobody understands. Truth is we all feel a bit sad sometimes and life isn't a bed of roses for anyone, the difference is we don't wallow in self pity.

Anyone who takes there own life can get fùcked, you won't get any pity or compassion out of me.

Hang on just a fùcking second, suicide is a selfish act, it devastates the family left behind. Depression is a very selfish mentality, whereby the person feels he is the only one who feels this way and nobody understands. Truth is we all feel a bit sad sometimes and life isn't a bed of roses for anyone, the difference is we don't wallow in self pity.

Anyone who takes there own life can get fùcked, you won't get any pity or compassion out of me.

Aren't you the milk of human kindness. Did you read any of what he just posted? Depression is an illness, not a mentality! Jeez. :facepalm:

Depression is a very selfish mentality, whereby the person feels he is the only one who feels this way and nobody understands. Truth is we all feel a bit sad sometimes and life isn't a bed of roses for anyone, the difference is we don't wallow in self pity.

Have you read anything on this thread or anywhere else about depression? I can only presume you haven't.

Do us all a favour and read up on it because it's absolutely fvcking embarrassing that people still hold views like that in this day and age.

Depression is not "feeling a bit sad". On an overtly symptomatic level, it's being unable to get out of bed because you feel sad and worthless. It's bursting into tears about nothing in particular. It's feeling like the world would be better if you weren't in it. It's a million and one different things to different people.

And on an internal level it's a spiral of hell that you can only imagine if you haven't experienced it. I have suffered on a "mild" level on the clinical scale and let me tell you, having been sad for a prolonged period of time (woman troubles, personal issues, City being shit for 5 years) and having been depressed there is a world of difference that you cannot even comprehend if youve not been there. And that is at the "mild" end of the scale.

I know others on here have suffered to a far greater degree than I have so I don't want to twist the narrative here with a sob story which is barely even a drop in the ocean.

Mental illness, and not just depression (which has become something of a mental illness poster boy) is far more common than you'd think and it's stupid attitudes like "he's just a bit sad" or "pull yourself together" that have held back it's treatment since the dawn of time.

Have you read anything on this thread or anywhere else about depression? I can only presume you haven't.

Do us all a favour and read up on it because it's absolutely fvcking embarrassing that people still hold views like that in this day and age.

Depression is not "feeling a bit sad". On an overtly symptomatic level, it's being unable to get out of bed because you feel sad and worthless. It's bursting into tears about nothing in particular. It's feeling like the world would be better if you weren't in it. It's a million and one different things to different people.

And on an internal level it's a spiral of hell that you can only imagine if you haven't experienced it. I have suffered on a "mild" level on the clinical scale and let me tell you, having been sad for a prolonged period of time (woman troubles, personal issues, City being shit for 5 years) and having been depressed there is a world of difference that you cannot even comprehend if youve not been there. And that is at the "mild" end of the scale.

I know others on here have suffered to a far greater degree than I have so I don't want to twist the narrative here with a sob story which is barely even a drop in the ocean.

Mental illness, and not just depression (which has become something of a mental illness poster boy) is far more common than you'd think and it's stupid attitudes like "he's just a bit sad" or "pull yourself together" that have held back it's treatment since the dawn of time.

I have plenty of experience with the condition pal, it affected my entire childhood. What I have put is as far from ignorance as you can get, when someone behaviour affects your day to day life, then come and talk to me.

I have plenty of experience with the condition pal, it affected my entire childhood. What I have put is as far from ignorance as you can get, when someone behaviour affects your day to day life, then come and talk to me.

In which case your total lack of compassion is even more bizarre.

How much experience of the condition do you have?

I've explained above. It's not a competition.

I find your lack of compassion/empathy for sufferers absolutely astounding but clearly you have your reasons.

I've explained above. It's not a competition.

I find your lack of compassion/empathy for sufferers absolutely astounding but clearly you have your reasons.

I'm not calling a competition, I was pushing for an angle. Folks talk about the poor suffers but most fail to acknowledge the real suffers, the families of those with it.

I'm not calling a competition, I was pushing for an angle. Folks talk about the poor suffers but most fail to acknowledge the real suffers, the families of those with it.

I don't think that's fair at all.

Clearly I am coming at it from an angle whereby I haven't been the person who suffers the indirect consequences of depression and I'm sure that that's appalling in its own right, but as I say "everyone gets a bit sad" is not a fair criticism to throw at people with depression regardless of your personal experience with it.

My personal experience was not suicidal. But I can imagine that the thought process would not be selfish at all. If you're incapable of comprehending your own selfishness can you ever be considered selfish?

I don't think that's fair at all.

Clearly I am coming at it from an angle whereby I haven't been the person who suffers the indirect consequences of depression and I'm sure that that's appalling in its own right, but as I say "everyone gets a bit sad" is not a fair criticism to throw at people with depression regardless of your personal experience with it.

My personal experience was not suicidal. But I can imagine that the thought process would not be selfish at all. If you're incapable of comprehending your own selfishness can you ever be considered selfish?

Non of its fair, life isn't fair.

Non of its fair, life isn't fair.

Sorry Strokes, but your attitude towards this is pretty repugnant. Whether or not depression has affected you in the past, what's good for you - "pulling yourself together" or whatever - is not necessarily good for other people who suffer from the condition.

That attitude towards depression and other forms of mental illness is a stigma we've suffered for too long in this country, and I think it actually contributes to the number of suicides caused by it as the person believes they are truly alone. If the family or friends of a person who then commits suicide chose to show that attitude towards them rather than actually helping them or making sure they seeked professional help...then frankly I would struggle to feel much sympathy for them. My sympathy would be reserved solely for the sufferer and not the people around him with the lack of any kind of empathy.

Saying that life isn't fair, while true (don't we just fvcking know that), isn't the kind of thing a loved one needs when suffering from an illness like this.  

Sorry Strokes, but your attitude towards this is pretty repugnant. Whether or not depression has affected you in the past, what's good for you - "pulling yourself together" or whatever - is not necessarily good for other people who suffer from the condition.

That attitude towards depression and other forms of mental illness is a stigma we've suffered for too long in this country, and I think it actually contributes to the number of suicides caused by it as the person believes they are truly alone. If the family or friends of a person who then commits suicide chose to show that attitude towards them rather than actually helping them or making sure they seeked professional help...then frankly I would struggle to feel much sympathy for them. My sympathy would be reserved solely for the sufferer and not the people around him with the lack of any kind of empathy.

Saying that life isn't fair, while true (don't we just fvcking know that), isn't the kind of thing a loved one needs when suffering from an illness like this.

I make no apologies for my attitude, and wouldn't ask for your sympathy either. It's my belief that the condition is born out of selfish, attention seeking people, and that won't change from a discussion here. I have seen the destruction it causes and I know where it all stems from.

I won't take any further in the discussion as I am not really helping the spirit of it but I will say to all you guys and gals that have had, do have or may have in the future, depression. Try and look at what affect you are having on other people around you, kids, parents, grandparents or close friends all get affected not just you!

I make no apologies for my attitude, and wouldn't ask for your sympathy either. It's my belief that the condition is born out of selfish, attention seeking people, and that won't change from a discussion here. I have seen the destruction it causes and I know where it all stems from.

I won't take any further in the discussion as I am not really helping the spirit of it but I will say to all you guys and gals that have had, do have or may have in the future, depression. Try and look at what affect you are having on other people around you, kids, parents, grandparents or close friends all get affected not just you!

Fair enough, agree to disagree it is then.

Take it you've never suffered with depression then? Trust me, it was never my mentality to want to take 100mg of sertraline every day. Depression is an illness and its ignorant twats like you that make it harder for people to open up about it.

In some sense I do agree suicide is selfish but some people obviously feel like they have no other choice.

If Clarke has walked out in front of a lorry causing many other members of the public to have their lives put at risk I can not be sympathetic towards him. He was able to go to a bar, drink and then choose to drive too so I don't think his depression has affected his mental capacity.

If Clarke has walked out in front of a lorry causing many other members of the public to have their lives put at risk I can not be sympathetic towards him. He was able to go to a bar, drink and then choose to drive too so I don't think his depression has affected his mental capacity.

Agreed.

Archived