Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

4 hours ago, Buce said:

Looking for a Greek island.

Not so big that you can't see it all with a hire car, but not so small as to make a hire car redundant; reasonably quiet and unspoilt; good beaches but some pleasant hikiing inland.

Any suggestions?

Kefalonia? 

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Croatia's like safe Balkans. I'd probably rather go to the Croatian coast just for a week's holiday but a road trip through the lesser known parts is even more rewarding if you're prepared to go out of your comfort zone.

If you are interested in the history then Misha Glenny's book on the Balkans from the 17th century to present day is a good starting point (if you haven't already read it), and Black Lamb and Grey Falcon is one of the greatest travel books ever written. People like Balkan Ghosts because Clinton carried it around with him during the wars in Yugoslavia but I found it quite cliched and superficial. Patrick Leigh Fermour is also a good person to read up on especially if you're going to dip into southern Albania or northern Greece. 

Having already done a bit of it, I'd be happy to miss it out but friends are keen. If it was just up to me I'd probably fly into Tirana and make our way up to Belgrade via Kosovo, Macedonia, and obviously Serbia and come back down via Bosnia and Montenegro. We'll see what we can agree to.

Cheers for the book recommendation, I will certainly give Misha Glenny's book a read and see if I can get time to flick through Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (1100 pages:o).

Edit: Anything else you might recommend?

Voll beat me to it aha

Edited by Kopfkino

2 hours ago, bovril said:

Croatia's like safe Balkans. I'd probably rather go to the Croatian coast just for a week's holiday but a road trip through the lesser known parts is even more rewarding if you're prepared to go out of your comfort zone.

If you are interested in the history then Misha Glenny's book on the Balkans from the 17th century to present day is a good starting point (if you haven't already read it), and Black Lamb and Grey Falcon is one of the greatest travel books ever written. People like Balkan Ghosts because Clinton carried it around with him during the wars in Yugoslavia but I found it quite cliched and superficial. Patrick Leigh Fermour is also a good person to read up on especially if you're going to dip into southern Albania or northern Greece. 

Bit off topic, but any other books on Balkans history/politics you'd recommend?

45 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Ha - no kids buddy. That’s why we go on lots of holidays!

Just a one liner....:D

Enjoy.,    

.Crete  and Corfu   are the Islands, I havent visited.

Great to see you like getting around..A nice spread of Locations... 

Getting my citizenship, and my Son is getting married this year, even though its our Coral -Aniversary .

there will be no travels this year...But we've travelled and worked most places, before and with children..

6 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Bit off topic, but any other books on Balkans history/politics you'd recommend?

7 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Having already done a bit of it, I'd be happy to miss it out but friends are keen. If it was just up to me I'd probably fly into Tirana and make our way up to Belgrade via Kosovo, Macedonia, and obviously Serbia and come back down via Bosnia and Montenegro. We'll see what we can agree to.

Cheers for the book recommendation, I will certainly give Misha Glenny's book a read and see if I can get time to flick through Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (1100 pages:o).

Edit: Anything else you might recommend?

Voll beat me to it aha

Mark Mazower's history is a lot easier to get through than Misha Glenny's, if you want to read something that gives you the most important information in about 200 pages. One of Glenny's books The Fall of Yugoslavia is one of the more balanced and straightforward accounts of the breakup. I slagged off Balkan Ghosts before but it's quite an easy to read introduction to some of the main issues and key history in the region, if a little cliched, and as much travel book as it is serious history. If you want to read something by a Yugoslav author The Bridge on the River Drina is a seminal work of 20th century Yugoslav fiction which is not saying that much. 

Patrick Leigh Fermour (amazing guy who was apparently the real-life inspiration for James Bond) wrote a lot on Greece and Romania but you could argue neither of those are really in the Balkans.

Then there are loads of books on the Ottoman and Byzantine Empire if you want to go back that far...

You can't go wrong with the two I mentioned in the first post, though. They're heavy (literally) but all you need really. 

• Thanks 1

On 16/01/2018 at 00:38, Kopfkino said:

Does anyone have much experience of the Balkans? Currently planning (well exploring the possibility) a road trip around the Balkans for pretty much all of September/possibly late August. 4-5 weeks in total. I think we're looking to start in Zagreb at the moment mainly due to availability of cheaper flights. Then probably head down the Dalmation coast and then over to Sarajevo, followed by Montenegro, Kosovo, Serbia. Or maybe save the Dalmation coast til last and spend the last few days doing a bit more beach relax. Brainstorming right now. Ideally need to make it a round trip as it saves a lot on the hire car rather than dropping it in a different place. Anyone got any tips of places to definitely give a visit, where to avoid etc? Any advice on driving in these countries or just in general on road trips? I'd much rather take it a little leisurely and have a relaxed plan that doesn't involve making sure I'm in a particular place on a particular day etc. Would be as happy exploring some provincial areas as just ending up in the bigger cities. 

I went to Serbia in the summer, stayed with a friend in Loznica and it was a very beautiful place, and plan to return later this year.  Would for sure recommend you go there (its around 2h from Belgrade.) Quite close to the borders of Bosnia. 

Also spent new year in Croatia -  Zagreb which i can honestly say is the best memorable new year ive ever had, its an amazing city and would really like to return to Croatia in the summer, although would probably head more to the coastal side. 

The food in both Croatia and Serbia was always fresh, tasty and really cheap and the people very kind & helpful (although in Serbia they spoke less English, at least where i was.)

Roads and driving was not a problem, except for the fact that when we did get a cab you could guarantee the driver would have one hand on the wheel and the other arguing with someone on his phone. 

I hope you have a wonderful trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/01/2018 at 16:04, Milo said:

Looking at ditching the kids and booking a long weekend in Vegas. Has anyone done this? Is it do-able for 3 or nights, or a bit too far?? 

I've not done Vegas but I have done a lot of long-haul holidays in America and Asia and you aren't going to want to long-weekend Vegas. 

By the time you land and adjust you'll be taking off again - it just isn't good value for money.

Wait until you can take an extra couple of days and make it 5 days. I've done 5 days in New York and it was just enough.

Flight are too expensive to just make 3 days of it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

I've not done Vegas but I have done a lot of long-haul holidays in America and Asia and you aren't going to want to long-weekend Vegas. 

By the time you land and adjust you'll be taking off again - it just isn't good value for money.

Wait until you can take an extra couple of days and make it 5 days. I've done 5 days in New York and it was just enough.

Flight are too expensive to just make 3 days of it. 

did you do anyhting interesting/different/unusual in NYC?  Looking for ideas

Just now, ozleicester said:

did you do anyhting interesting/different/unusual in NYC?  Looking for ideas

hi mate.

we went to watch some comedy (Al Madrigal) at Caroline's on Broadway which was great fun in the evening. table service, drink, food and comedy - can't go wrong - see who's on when you're there.

we also went to watch the NY Rangers play the Chicago Blackhawks at MSG. not sure it matters if you like hockey or not tbh - it's just a good fun night out.

take a nice sunny morning walk across the 'sky walk' (I think it's called that) which is a raised walkway through Manhattan. 

then - the MOST important one - Sleep No More. 

Sleep No More is basically live theatre spread across a huge old building in the Meat Packing Dist. of New York. 

As soon as you enter the bar / restaurant everyone is in character. You can go for drinks and food before the show.

you basically spend about 3/4 hours exploring the building with approx. 100 other people whilst actors / actresses play out a modern horror version of Macbeth around you. No talking, mostly silent acting and dance. There's fight scenes where actors come flying past you and bounce off the walls and ceilings, etc. 

It's absolutely insane - you end up running around corridors following certain actors throughout their part of the story. You can go freely where you want whenever you want. If you're going with a friend / wife, whatever - make sure you split up at the start and you'll both have entirely different experiences which is a lot of fun to catch up on back in the bar afterwards. You can't talk to each other anyway and everyone wears masks to hide expressions etc. 

Wear comfortable clothes and trainers - it's a bit of a workout BUT it's probably one of the BEST things I've ever seen.

Image result for sleep no more new york

TICKETS: https://mckittrickhotel.com/

honestly, just go - you won't regret it. 

4 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

hi mate.

we went to watch some comedy (Al Madrigal) at Caroline's on Broadway which was great fun in the evening. table service, drink, food and comedy - can't go wrong - see who's on when you're there.

we also went to watch the NY Rangers play the Chicago Blackhawks at MSG. not sure it matters if you like hockey or not tbh - it's just a good fun night out.

take a nice sunny morning walk across the 'sky walk' (I think it's called that) which is a raised walkway through Manhattan. 

then - the MOST important one - Sleep No More. 

Sleep No More is basically live theatre spread across a huge old building in the Meat Packing Dist. of New York. 

As soon as you enter the bar / restaurant everyone is in character. You can go for drinks and food before the show.

you basically spend about 3/4 hours exploring the building with approx. 100 other people whilst actors / actresses play out a modern horror version of Macbeth around you. No talking, mostly silent acting and dance. There's fight scenes where actors come flying past you and bounce off the walls and ceilings, etc. 

It's absolutely insane - you end up running around corridors following certain actors throughout their part of the story. You can go freely where you want whenever you want. If you're going with a friend / wife, whatever - make sure you split up at the start and you'll both have entirely different experiences which is a lot of fun to catch up on back in the bar afterwards. You can't talk to each other anyway and everyone wears masks to hide expressions etc. 

Wear comfortable clothes and trainers - it's a bit of a workout BUT it's probably one of the BEST things I've ever seen.

Image result for sleep no more new york

TICKETS: https://mckittrickhotel.com/

honestly, just go - you won't regret it. 

Cheers :)

Thats sounds awesome.. sadly im not sure the lovely Mrs Oz's health is up to that...but will definitly have a look... thanks

Just now, ozleicester said:

Cheers :)

Thats sounds awesome.. sadly im not sure the lovely Mrs Oz's health is up to that...but will definitly have a look... thanks

no worries dude! 

if your wife isn't too well then maybe not - if she's just a little unfit then she should be fine - we saw people of all ages / sizes, etc. doing it. 

I guess I made it sound absolutely manic - it can be if you want, but you can also follow some of the slower story-lines about a bit easier as well!

urm, I'd advise using the subway to get around most places - we love to walk around cities but you'll spend forever walking from a-b in NY. 

if you want to 'go up a building' then I suggest Rockefeller instead of Empire State - less queues, nice building and you can look at the ES while up there.

A walk through Central Park is great - I suggest getting the subway approx. half way up the park and walking back down towards 5th ave. 

I'd also recommend you take the subway over to Brooklyn and have a wonder about in the area near the Brooklyn Brewery - lots of cool little shops / bars / pizza places.

Apart from that I'd just hop off and see all the different districts and see where you end up - it's a great city wherever you end up :) 

hit me up if you want any more info.  

• Like 1

Does anyone have much experience of the Balkans? Currently planning (well exploring the possibility) a road trip around the Balkans for pretty much all of September/possibly late August. 4-5 weeks in total. I think we're looking to start in Zagreb at the moment mainly due to availability of cheaper flights. Then probably head down the Dalmation coast and then over to Sarajevo, followed by Montenegro, Kosovo, Serbia. Or maybe save the Dalmation coast til last and spend the last few days doing a bit more beach relax. Brainstorming right now. Ideally need to make it a round trip as it saves a lot on the hire car rather than dropping it in a different place. Anyone got any tips of places to definitely give a visit, where to avoid etc? Any advice on driving in these countries or just in general on road trips? I'd much rather take it a little leisurely and have a relaxed plan that doesn't involve making sure I'm in a particular place on a particular day etc. Would be as happy exploring some provincial areas as just ending up in the bigger cities. 

I went to Ohrid in Macedonia for a week last year, absolutely stunning crystal clear lake, right near a huge nature park/mountain which you can drive up with stunning views, at one point you can see 3 countries, and you can paraglide off it. and so much history, including a 2000 year old church right in the middle. And one of Tito's houses is there, now home to the president.

On 16/01/2018 at 09:34, Buce said:

Looking for a Greek island.

Not so big that you can't see it all with a hire car, but not so small as to make a hire car redundant; reasonably quiet and unspoilt; good beaches but some pleasant hikiing inland.

Any suggestions?

Been going to Kos almost yearly since I was a baby, staying in a village called Mastichari, beautiful beaches, good food etc. Some hiking to be done, including a small mountain populated by tortoises on the top.

Just booked Cyprus myself for end of April, never been, not sure what's there but was very cheap. 

Edited by Kopic

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Majorca for 10 days at Easter, Brittany for a week in July and Normandy for October half term week. Obviously want to see the landing beaches, but any other ideas for things to do, especially with older children? 

Whereabouts in Majorca, Deb?

12 hours ago, Buce said:

Whereabouts in Majorca, Deb?

We haven't booked anywhere to stay yet, only the flights, but the children have seen a couple of places they like in Santa Ponsa? We like to go out and about exploring during the day, and then tend to stay in after dinner. A nice beach and a good pool is all we need really

37 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

We haven't booked anywhere to stay yet, only the flights, but the children have seen a couple of places they like in Santa Ponsa? We like to go out and about exploring during the day, and then tend to stay in after dinner. A nice beach and a good pool is all we need really

I haven't been to Santa Ponsa itself, but I've explored that whole coast, which is in the nicest part of Majorca (imo). You'd probably need to hire a car to get the best out of it, though. If a beach holiday is all you really want then I can recommend Cala D'or, which has 5 or 6 excellent beaches, all in sheltered coves. The resort itself is quite classy too, ideally suited to families.

If the kids like water parks, there is a magnificent one near El Arenal (though avoid the resort like the plague).

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Majorca for 10 days at Easter, Brittany for a week in July and Normandy for October half term week. Obviously want to see the landing beaches, but any other ideas for things to do, especially with older children? 

Brittany/Normandy....St Malo, St Michel..the obvious visiting points...Older children can enjoy the tides and coastline..

Away from Landing Beaches... I got my Children and wife interested in sailing/surfing/Kayaking/Kite surfing....

All grades, no stress, just for holiday fun, or even if they get into it...good future hols, pasttime sorted..

Discipline with fun from sea sport and nature then opens up the natural enjoyment either just  for the present,

or a new found hobby for the future..:)

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Thanks 1

I did Dubrovnik, Hvar, Split, Trogir, Zadar and Pula in just over a couple of weeks last year with a couple of mates - we were all 23 at the time. I had a great time and if you have any questions let me know. I wouldn't bother going to Pula though.