Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

Costa Rica booked for 2 weeks, any general recommendations?

Its my honeymoon so ideally going to do a week of sightseeing and a week of beach chilling.

Hoping to go next year.

Definetly my No1 choice destination.

However,my friend works for an airline and we went to Orlando last year with them( not our normal holiday) but enjoyed it so much with them, and they want us to go with them again.

we are on her friends and family and all 4 of us £750 return.Had to slum it in upper class too.

so for a family of 4.Car,huge villa and upper class flights 2k ,it’s really hard to refuse,I’ve been to France in a caravan park for more.

You must let me know how it was.

On 16/01/2018 at 00:38, Kopfkino said:

Does anyone have much experience of the Balkans? Currently planning (well exploring the possibility) a road trip around the Balkans for pretty much all of September/possibly late August. 4-5 weeks in total. I think we're looking to start in Zagreb at the moment mainly due to availability of cheaper flights. Then probably head down the Dalmation coast and then over to Sarajevo, followed by Montenegro, Kosovo, Serbia. Or maybe save the Dalmation coast til last and spend the last few days doing a bit more beach relax. Brainstorming right now. Ideally need to make it a round trip as it saves a lot on the hire car rather than dropping it in a different place. Anyone got any tips of places to definitely give a visit, where to avoid etc? Any advice on driving in these countries or just in general on road trips? I'd much rather take it a little leisurely and have a relaxed plan that doesn't involve making sure I'm in a particular place on a particular day etc. Would be as happy exploring some provincial areas as just ending up in the bigger cities. 

Dunrovnik is clearly womderful...  but, try and get an Airbnb (or equivalent) inside the walls of possible

i then had about a 4 hour drive to a really lovley island called Korcula...  a short ferry crossing from the mainland 

The old town is amazing and there are a few lovely beaches... either an apartment in the old town or something further out if if you want Beach/ sea views

Be sure to stop off at the numberous vineyards... cheap and really nice

On 16/01/2018 at 09:34, Buce said:

Looking for a Greek island.

Not so big that you can't see it all with a hire car, but not so small as to make a hire car redundant; reasonably quiet and unspoilt; good beaches but some pleasant hikiing inland.

Any suggestions?

Most islands are great...  stay away from the big resorts though...  I went to Zante and didn’t see any kiss me quick hats for the whole week as I booked in a small village

i was in Lefkada last year, which was really nice with very few Brits about...  very nice island

i do fancy trying the Cyclades at some point though

Islands are completely different July/ Aug - rammed

if you have the option (I don’t!) book June Sep

Edited by Wolfox
  • Thanks 1

Safe to say Cape Town has been a blast and I couldn’t recommend a trip here enough.

One of them places where you have so many different areas with cool bars and restaurants, an abundance of outdoor activities to do as well and stunning beaches as well.

Safety wise I have had no issues but you do have to be careful/mindful of your surroundings.

Again, massive thanks to @Merging Cultures for all of the recommendations along the way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broughtonblue said:

Going Venice for 4 nights in May with my Mrs for a romantic break, any tips on where to go would be great, I'm staying in st marks square so hopefully local to everything suggested

Area - Canareggio, very peaceful and authentic area to the north where you can wander back streets away from the crowds. 

Restaurants - Paradiso Perduto and most of the restaurants along Fondamente Misericordia,  Conchiglio and Da Giorgio next to each other (bit touristy but reliable and lovely location), Bacaro del Gelato for ice cream. Lots of wine bars nearby where you can try local wines with snacks. I liked the Friulano wine.

Churches (if you're into that kind of thing) -

Madonna del Orto is the resting place of Tintoretto and houses his work.

San Giovanni and Paolo is a cavernous cathedral in a lovely piazza where kids play football using sarcophagi for goal posts. Lots of important people buried there, look up the story of Marco Bragadin, but after you've eaten your lunch...

The whole city is wonderful. 

Edited by bovril

5 hours ago, broughtonblue said:

Going Venice for 4 nights in May with my Mrs for a romantic break, any tips on where to go would be great, I'm staying in st marks square so hopefully local to everything suggested

I never got as far east as Venice when I was over in Bergamo however if you get the chance I would pop over to Verona for a few hours. Probably an hour on a train, trains there are nice, and it’s a stunning city. 

Granted you are only there for 4 days and like I say I don’t truly know what Venice has to offer but worth a shot.

Failing that, just get mega fat on gelato in Venice and make sure when you order a pizza you know what’s on it. I’ve ended up with scrambled egg and even bloody chips on mine lol.

Edited by Costock_Fox

26 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I never got as far east as Venice when I was over in Bergamo however if you get the chance I would pop over to Verona for a few hours. Probably an hour on a train, trains there are nice, and it’s a stunning city. 

Granted you are only there for 4 days and like I say I don’t truly know what Venice has to offer but worth a shot.

Failing that, just get mega fat on gelato in Venice and make sure when you order a pizza you know what’s on it. I’ve ended up with scrambled egg and even bloody chips on mine lol.

"Inglese?"

"Ye- err Si"

"Ahhhhhh"

Walks off.

Pizza with chips on arrives.

14 minutes ago, Wookie said:

"Inglese?"

"Ye- err Si"

"Ahhhhhh"

Walks off.

Pizza with chips on arrives.

lol Trust me where I was/Went wasn’t a touristy area so as soon as they knew I didn’t speak Italian they couldn’t give care less so this is probably right.

I probably shouldn’t confess but I did actually go back and order it again a few weeks later hahaha.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, broughtonblue said:

Maybe avoid this place:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/22/venice-authorities-step-in-after-four-tourists-charged-1000-for-meal

7 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Not a holiday but I'm working in China for the next week, Chengdu, flying tomorrow - anyone been to China and enjoyed it? Not your classic holiday destination 

Spent two months in China a few years back, mainly in the south of the country and it was brilliant. It obviously takes a bit of getting used to, but go with an open mind and a spirit of adventure and I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Not a holiday but I'm working in China for the next week, Chengdu, flying tomorrow - anyone been to China and enjoyed it? Not your classic holiday destination 

Went out with Jon Wright three years ago, it's an absolutely mental country. The food out there is to be expected on another level and really cheap. 

• Like 1

On 19/01/2018 at 21:06, lifted*fox said:

What did you get up to then dude? Use any of the recommendations? 

Sorry for the late reply mate, but yes I did. 

We did a lot of the main touristy stuff really, like Szimpla Kert, Szechenyi Baths, the zoo, Fisherman's Bastion, Funicular, but also really liked the Holocaust Museum and we walked across all of Margaret's Island. We couldn't go to the Rudas Baths as we were there in midweek, but we did have Goulash on the old side of the city as you recommended which was superb. To be honest, I'd never even had it before I went there. Such a cool place though, I'd definitely go back. 

On 24/01/2018 at 21:36, baker11 said:

Anyone know of any digs in Madrid they would recommend?

When we went for the Atletico game, me and my mates stayed at this hotel near the Airport called Hotel Maydrit. It's dead nice and surprisingly cheap. It had a pool, but doesn't open until May I don't think. Dead easy to get the Metro into the centre from there though. 

https://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-gb.html?aid=311076;label=maydrit-1kX*tEmyecuCY*KR4l4qigS169283806712%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t2%3Aneg%3Afi%3Atikwd-11308201607%3Alp9046178%3Ali%3Adec%3Adm;sid=772194a6964ebb39c9e22775f314dcec;city=-390625;expand_sb=1;highlighted_hotels=17490;hlrd=no_dates;keep_landing=1;redirected=1;source=hotel&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk-iD99L12AIVjpTtCh3Tjg5gEAAYAiAAEgKWPfD_BwE&

• Like 1