Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

3 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

It’s a slog to be fair. I drove all the way back from Harris (ferry for 2 hours as well obviously) and that was pretty grim in a day. On the way up I slept in a lay-by in Fort William but this year will likely be in 1 go.

My roots are in Harris, Tarbert. 

Spent my school summer holidays there from 79 to 89 working on the family croft. 

I bet its different now compared to then. Everything shut on a Sunday and everyone speaking Gaelic. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Harris is absolutely stunning in places, the best beaches in the uk I would say. There isn’t much there obviously but would definitely recommend it.

What was Orkney like? 

Properly wild. The largest town Kirkwall is only about the size of Oadby, but St Magnus' cathedral is impressively large. The rest of the mainland island is flat, but ruggedly windswept. The main interest to me was the ancient settlements and monuments like Skara Brae and the Ring of Brodgar. To think that people lived here over 5000 years ago, with bronze age technology is just amazing. Also good if you like wildlife, especially sea birds and birds of prey. With no real woodland (in fact, barely a tree anywhere) I think it's easier to spot all kinds of birds.

To everyone, if you ever just want to get away for modern life though, just visit the Highlands and Islands. You might as well be in a different country.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

My roots are in Harris, Tarbert. 

Spent my school summer holidays there from 79 to 89 working on the family croft. 

I bet its different now compared to then. Everything shut on a Sunday and everyone speaking Gaelic. 

Ah nice one mate, I guess it’s different when you live there but part of me would love to live somewhere so remote.

I can’t remember Tarbert to be fair but would have driven through it.

Just searched for it and it’s where the gin distillery is so I’ve definitely been .

Edited by Costock_Fox
On 18/10/2020 at 11:48, Costock_Fox said:

Ah nice one mate, I guess it’s different when you live there but part of me would love to live somewhere so remote.

I can’t remember Tarbert to be fair but would have driven through it.

Just searched for it and it’s where the gin distillery is so I’ve definitely been .

One cant be more Remote than Leic'shire Uk....!!

My wife kids & I have done the Autonomous Regions of China.(34yrs ago)..I reckon Next Year Touring internal regions of China

could be the safest parts of the World to travel...

We are going on tour to Discover the best English & German take-aways they can offer....