Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Decent restaurants in and around town?

Just now, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Blue Bell is pretty good, but they do that thing where you get a big plate and all the food is a tiny pile in the middle of it. I'm not a fat bugger and I was still hungry after last time I ate there

Didn't realise Curzon Arms was run by the same people - been about a year since I last went but that's one of my favourites. Really nice food and setting

They also own The Crown in Old Dalby and final one in Langton (newest).

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

I went Middletons on Tuesday night, service was very good and food was good too. 

Worth a visit as you have the cocktail bar and the gin bar close by so you have a nice (but small) area forming 

Does this spell the end for Market Tavern & Molly's?

The City needs places to get ratarsed on cheap beer while watching a dodgy stream listening to Kylie at full volume ;)

6 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I was gonna say is that someone's plate or the serving dish that you select from. 

I know its not exactly a restaurant but its good value. As they say grub like mamma used to make.

In the week they have started bar meals. Faggots mashed spuds and mushy peas, liver and onions and pastie and mash for around £3. Also do double cheeseburger with bacon for a fiver.

The landlord is from up North and a Sunderland fan. They sure naw 'ow ta do grub up t' North.

I  am hopeless at dialects. Sorry.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, boots60 said:

Does this spell the end for Market Tavern & Molly's?

The City needs places to get ratarsed on cheap beer while watching a dodgy stream listening to Kylie at full volume ;)

Absolutely not, completely different crowds. Can't imagine a reasonably priced steakhouse, an expensive gin bar and a pricey cocktail gaff are gonna take the punters away from Molly O'Gradys / Market Tavern.

9 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Absolutely not, completely different crowds. Can't imagine a reasonably priced steakhouse, an expensive gin bar and a pricey cocktail gaff are gonna take the punters away from Molly O'Gradys / Market Tavern.

I was thinking more that with the area becoming a bit more gentrified that this could spell the end for the "lower end of the market" establishments.

It's amazing just how much the fortunes of St. Martins Square and the surrounding area have changed within just a few years. It was only a couple of years ago that St. Martins Square consisted of a failing Pizza Express and not much else and a couple of dodgy pubs on the street outside. 

There's now lovely Gelato place, a Mexican restaurant (Bodega Cantino), Grillstock (which I haven't been to but always looks busy) and then Crafty Burger which is incredibly good. Then outside there's Delilah's Deli, the new wine bar, the new steak place, Brew Dog opened on the other side. 

Leicester is a pretty exciting place to be right now if you're in to food and coffee. There's so much opening. My current favourites are:

Dinner:

1. Crafty Burger (amazing burger (and I'm a veggie!), skin on fries, friendly service, pleasant atmosphere and very reasonable pricing)

2. Sapori (fantastic Italian food, they've deservedly won fair few awards - but I've recently found service to be bit frosty - but not rude)

3. The White Horse Quorn

Lunch: 

1. Shivalis (lunch time buffet is consistently good and great service) Chettinad on London Road is owned by the same people.

2. Salvador Deli on Queens Rd (huge sandwiches with generous fillings)

Coffee:

1. Coffee Counter (these guys are super passionate about their coffee and roast their own in store. Very friendly and happy to have a chat and give tips)

2. 6 Degrees Coffee (on London Road, they use St Martins Coffee but what's unique about it is it's run by volunteers and all profits go to Open Hands Charity)

3. Bread & Honey (they use Monmouth Coffee and do a cracking brownie)

4. Dolce Verde on Granby St

5. Northern Cobbler on Queens Road

This post has ended up way longer than I anticipated. I know you're probably thinking this guys rocked up after years and posted about food! lol sorry! I'm just passionate about food and quite excited about the direction Leicester is heading.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 30/10/2016 at 09:43, Rob1742 said:

I went Middletons on Tuesday night, service was very good and food was good too. 

Worth a visit as you have the cocktail bar and the gin bar close by so you have a nice (but small) area forming 

One of the best, architecturally, restaurants I've even been in Leicester - quite impressive.

Yes, the food, especially the meat is good; though been there twice and thought infants running around let it the occasion a little.

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

What are people's thoughts on peter pizzeria? 

Good range of food and beer, and don't have to wait long service-wise.

There's a decent games room on the top floor with snooker and ping-pong tables etc.

I think you can order to takeout too.

57 minutes ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

Think someone has mentioned it here before but, a bit out of town, but Pie Night (Monday) at the Windmill Inn, Brascote is absolutely class. Cracking food at a fantastic price. 

Every time I've been, it's been brilliant. I've been for Burger night and for Sunday lunch, never been disappointed. 

My favourite restaurant. Absolutely brilliant food, not had the pie night before.,